Porcupine Tree - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #136
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:44 AM
I like Sleep Together quite a bit. Took a while to grow on me, but it's one of my favourites off the album.

I'm not really thrilled with Shesmovedon for some reason. I do agree the version found on Deadwing is better than the original, but all the same it's just not a song I care for much. However, The Rest Will Flow hovers around my second or third favourite overall Porcupine Tree track. And the rest Axver listed are great as well. I too, have no idea why it took so long for me to warm up to the album.

Cleveland got Buying New Soul. I teared up. :cornflakes:

Supposedly, there's going to be a re-issuing of Recordings sometime. There's no definitive time frame yet, but it's apparently on the list of things to do, so I guess we shall see!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #137
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:44 AM
The Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun/Recordings trifecta is PT's highwater mark for me. I think they successfully moved on from that era and have recorded a string of excellent albums, and as much as I love In Absentia, it probably won't ever supplant Stupid Dream as my favorite PT album.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

As for rankings...

1. Stupid Dream
2. In Absentia
3. Lightbulb Sun
4. Deadwing
5. Recordings

6. The Sky Moves Sideways
7. Fear Of A Blank Planet
8. The Incident

9. Up The Downstair
10. On The Sunday Of Life
11. Signify
Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #139
ONE
love, blood, life

You must not like Signify.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Signify has some definite classics, like Waiting and Dark Matter, but as a whole, it just doesn't come together well. You could tell it was a transitional period for PT as it made its way from being a Steven Wilson trippy solo project to a full blown band outfit.

But that transition was vital for PT going forward, so while I don't care for the album, it's probably the most important one they ever did.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #141
ONE
love, blood, life

Agreed! I do quite like songs like Sever, Sleep Of No Dreaming, Waiting Phase One and Every Home Is Wired. The title track is pretty good too but I can't say I care for the rest. As an album, it's a mess.

So what's up with some of their later stuff ranking low? Not fond of the direction they have taken?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

I really like the last couple of albums, most definitely. When I compare them to other albums released the same year, they still rank as one of the best out there.

But when I compare them to other PT releases, they come in just a notch below, for different reasons. I think an album like In Absentia is stronger throughout than any other release since then. Also, I rate Deadwing higher simply because there isn't one piece of music that came after that matches Lazarus and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here. Songs like Anesthetize, Sentimental, Time Flies, and I Drive The Hearse are awesome, some of my favorite PT songs. But they all come in under Lazarus and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, as well as several songs on In Absentia like Blackest Eyes, Trains, etc.

Gotta rank them somewhere. Just goes to show how strong of a discography PT has had since 1999.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #143
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:44 AM
I don't know, phanan, I reckon Black Dahlia may be on a par with Deadwing's best.

I'm surprised you rate On The Sunday Of Life above Signify. OTSOL has, what, Radioactive Toy? Nine Cats? Can't think of another reason to listen. Oh, I guess Jupiter Island, but more for novelty than actual quality ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

Could've went either way, really. Besides the two you mention, I also like And The Swallows Dance Above The Sun and It Will Rain For A Million Years.

But it definitely could have been better. If he had just added The Cross/Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape alone, it would've been incredible.

Black Dahlia is fantastic, but as good as Arriving Somewhere? Not quite for me.

But really, we're nitpicking now.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #145
Vocal parasite

I always listen to And The Swallows from the Love, Death, And Mussolini EP.

I'm forever baffled why Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape missed both OTSOL and Up The Downstair.

I honestly can't call Black Dahlia vs Arriving Somewhere. Exceptional songs, the both of them.

You know what other song from The Incident has really been sounding great to me the last week? Kneel And Disconnect. It's short, but it's great.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #146
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:44 PM
Arriving Somewhere will always be my #1 favourite of theirs, not only because it was the first song I was exposed to (thanks to the Prog Island game) and loved but also because musically it reminds me of another brilliant song, Unforgettable Fire.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
You know what other song from The Incident has really been sounding great to me the last week? Kneel And Disconnect. It's short, but it's great.
It's a gorgeous little piece.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #148
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:44 PM
Great Expectations, Your Unpleasant Family... a lot of great short pieces on this album that are almost as good as the longer songs! Quality stuff!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #149
Vocal parasite

Your Unpleasant Family cracks me up, but I'm not entirely sure in a good way. C'mon, Stevo.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #150
ONE
love, blood, life

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here DEFINITELY beats out Black Dahlia. I also like it better than Anesthetize. Far better. Although I will not lie, I'd like to marry the second section of Anesthetize.

Black Dahlia though, interesting piece. I don't think I was thrilled with it when I first heard it, but the more I hear it, the more I love it. I don't think it'll ever break my top 10 PT songs, but it is surely getting a lot of appreciation from me these days.

Re: Kneel and Disconnect: Absolutely gorgeous piece. Short and sweet. One of my favourite pieces in The Incident without a doubt.

Tags
porcupine tree