Pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
Compelling responses so far everyone. Didn't think this thread would get so much attention.

Anywho, I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but this album has a bit of an MGMT (debut) vibe to it except it feels a bit more authentic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been enjoying this album for sure. It sort of rambles about, but the music is good. I am hoping for something a bit tighter from Tame Impala this year, but this album will stay in my listening rotation.

Yeah it's a good year when Tame Impala and Pond release albums the same year. I've been digging Pond for a while and I would say that this is their tightest effort, most accessible as well.

I mean, I didn't know that until after I listened to the album a few weeks back but immediately I thought they sounded extremely alike.

Yeah. There are times that I actually prefer Pond over Tame Impala. With this album, the task is now tall for Tame Impala. In the end, both bands win.

I get confused as to who is in which band anymore. Kevin Parker has played with Pond but not on recent albums. Pond frontman Nick Allbrook used to be the guitarist for Tame Impala. I think Jay Watson is the only current member of both bands?

Anyway, lots of overlap and similar sounds.

I have read a couple of Kevin Parker interviews that have me pretty excited for their new record.

I get confused as to who is in which band anymore. Kevin Parker has played with Pond but not on recent albums. Pond frontman Nick Allbrook used to be the guitarist for Tame Impala. I think Jay Watson is the only current member of both bands?

Anyway, lots of overlap and similar sounds.

I have read a couple of Kevin Parker interviews that have me pretty excited for their new record.

Yeah I always got the feeling that it was constantly changing.

Pretty similar cover art don't you think?

BigBrother_CheapThrills.jpg

101883780.jpg

So, like, are Tame Impala and Pond more or less the same band?

Well Tame Impala is a one-man band in the studio, it's just Kevin Parker. He occasionally fleshes out with a band and plays live with a band, and those dudes make up Pond. They're both from the Perth music scene, which is quite incestuous, so they're all in a few other lesser bands as well.

I took a listen to Man It Feels Like Space Again after you posted those links the other day, Mikal. I really liked what I heard. "Sitting Up On Our Crane" was probably my favorite.

I wasn't aware of all of the Tame Impala connections, but it makes sense given they sound so similar.

Back
Top Bottom