Please ride the hype train with me AKA Vampire Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard quite a bit about them online, and just read a boatload of rave reviews for their album, so now it is my sworn duty to track down some tunes and check them out.

... and hope it's not some typical indie shit that I'll automatically loathe. :wink:

I read about this album on Pitchfork *runsandhides* I did't pay much attetion though, but with your recommendation I will listen this stuff

Not worth picking up. A few amazing songs, but little else. I have NO idea what the fuck all the fuss is about.

Weren't we supposed to hate Graceland, like, six months ago? WTF?

lazarus said:
something on the level of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's first album.

You're right, it's not annoying garbage.

:wink:

Seriously though, what's with the constant unrelated comparisons?

u2popmofo said:
Seriously though, what's with the constant unrelated comparisons?

It sounds like Graceland, in case you were wondering. Not sure if you thought my "comparison" applied. Either way, no worries. "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" and "Oxford Comma" are both pleasant enough. I've been listening to them two tracks quite a bit, lately.

I'd be perfectly happy with it not sounding anything like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. They fall into that "blah indie music that does nothing for me" category.

A friend just told me about them the other day and I watched this video then. I liked it but didn't feel the need to run out and buy it. I need to hear more.

Woah what the hell.

Just listened to Cape Cod... on Myspace. This is really unique :dance:

EDIT: Just listened to Oxford... Tom Petty chorus with yodeling and sparse production. What the fuck this is great :lol:

Might catch them on tour in March
dancer.gif

The hype for these guys has definitely been huge so I decided to check em out and I really like what I hear.

'Mansard Roof', 'A-Punk' and the aforementioned 'Oxford Comma' and 'Cape Cod...' are cool and catchy as all hell. Somewhat of a breath of fresh air from a handful of preppy Ivy League kids.

joyfulgirl said:
A friend just told me about them the other day and I watched this video then. I liked it but didn't feel the need to run out and buy it. I need to hear more.

A-Punk is admittedly a pretty straight forward "indie pop/rock" type song. Some of their other tunes on their Myspace page show what they actually sound like better.

Glad to hear there are others enjoying as well! I too am quite a big fan of Oxford Common and Cape Cod.

Just downloaded. I'll listen sometime within the next few days.

Canadiens1160 said:
Just listened to Oxford [Comma]... Tom Petty chorus with yodeling and sparse production. What the fuck this is great :lol:

Haha, I'm glad someone else heard the Tom Petty similarity... I write it off as serendipity, as I don't think that Vampire Weekend intended to reference Don't Do Me Like That.

I respect what this band is trying to do, and it's unfortunate that they were crowned pitchfork/stereogum/etc. darlings. The exposure is great for them, but it will be annoying to hear all the "I don't get the hype" comments in the near future. I would hope that most folks don't get or invest in the "hype" for any band.

Having said that, I'm not a fan... I heard the album a week or two ago, and I can't stand the repetitive guitar stylings and predictable beat patterns in Oxford Comma and A-Punk. I have the same reservations for Bedouin Soundclash. Is there something wrong with me*?

*in the context of this thread

:sexywink:

The OOTS said:
Count me in amongst the underwhelmed camp.
I thought I head some 'Sublime' in there.
:|

really? :yikes:

If I hear any Sublime in there, I'm turning that shit off so fast your head will spin.

corianderstem said:

really? :yikes:

If I hear any Sublime in there, I'm turning that shit off so fast your head will spin.

Right after Meh station, the next stop is Underwhelmed cross....I expect you'll step off of the train at one of those two.

I've never gotten the "underwhelmed" comments for groups like this. Underwhelmed by what? No one was claiming these guys were the saviors of music or the most original band in the history of the planet. The reviews themselves have all been far from perfect for the group. What in hells name were you underwhelmed by, an 83/100 average on Metacritic?

Maybe the title wasn't obvious enough, but I'm really not interested in shit comparisons to completely dissimilar bands/music. If you don't enjoy them, that's fine, but I would like to ask that you spend your time talking about something you do like in a different thread rather than derailing this with multiple posts of negativity. :)

u2popmofo said:
What in hells name were you underwhelmed by, an 83/100 average on Metacritic?

Those are good points.

but easy to answer the questions: underwhelmed by not living up to the hype. Naturally that's due to your own personal taste and not the band, but that's kind of it. You can't blame a band for not liking them (unless they're Nickelback, because they deserve blame for many things).

And as for Metacritic, I'd say 83/100 is outstanding. Of course not all the reviews are going to be perfect, but seeing the reviews on Metacritic is what made me decide to check them out.

(Which I haven't yet, but will.)

Back
Top Bottom