Please ride the hype train with me AKA Vampire Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm liking this more with each listen.

Each time I think a song sounds like another band, the next one goes and sounds completely different.

Hard to classify, and even if not wholly original, it still sounds very fresh.

How touchy.

There are threads that are supposed to be positive only? I missed that in the FAQ's.

Underwhelmed speaks for itself. I had never heard of them before this thread, so, their hype means nothing to me. I gave a few songs a listen, as I respect your taste in music. I did not like it. Thus, I'm less than welmed. I'm unimpressed. Whelmed is above me, and I am under it as it pertains to this band. Their rating on metacritic means nothing to me as well. I don't give a shit what a group of faceless critics have to say about music.

So.....Once again, listened to them, expected something good (you accept the word good, no, can we use that?) and did not get it, and so I was
U N D E R W H E L M E D.

Simple stuff.

un·der·whelm (ŭn'dər-hwělm', -wělm') Pronunciation Key
tr.v. un·der·whelmed, un·der·whelm·ing, un·der·whelms
To fail to excite, stimulate, or impress

I have to agree with NSW. While I can understand not wanting a thread full of "Dude, it sucks," it's a little disingenius to post a thread about a band and only want people to pipe up if they agree with you.

u2popmofo said:
The reviews themselves have all been far from perfect for the group. What in hells name were you underwhelmed by, an 83/100 average on Metacritic?

83 is "Universal Acclaim" on Metacritic system and merits a star next to a name, so I'd say that's a pretty high rating to live up to.

corianderstem said:
I have to agree with NSW. While I can understand not wanting a thread full of "Dude, it sucks," it's a little disingenius to post a thread about a band and only want people to pipe up if they agree with you.

I also agree, and I have precious few remembrances of people making out-there and stretched comparisons between unrelated bands. I'm deeply confused.

I have no problem with threads for blindfolded optimism only, but this was never marked as such. What's wrong with not enjoying something unconditionally, again...?

Well, color me pleasantly surprised - I really like this album! It's fun and different. I love the unexpected instrumentations that pop up here and there, like the strings in a couple of songs. There's only one song I didn't care for.

I'm definitely going to be buying this. :up:

I'm disappointed in all of you. As I wrote those comments I thought to myself, "People are going to light me up like a Christmas tree for this, it's going to be awesome". Instead, you were all civil and polite. Assholes.

I had sex with each and every one of your mothers. Peter Gabriel too.

u2popmofo said:
I'm disappointed in all of you. As I wrote those comments I thought to myself, "People are going to light me up like a Christmas tree for this, it's going to be awesome". Instead, you were all civil and polite. Assholes.

I had sex with each and every one of your mothers. Peter Gabriel too.

I was actually pretty uncivilized.

I'm pleased that my Mom got some action, though.

lol :lmao: ^

well, I'm finally listening to it, It's actually good... I mean, good for light, funny times...

Judging by the four songs on their myspace, they're simply too dry, sparse and, frankly, boring for me. OOH ANOTHER INDIE POP BAND!!! That's what this world needs. :wink:

Dalton said:
LemonMelon, I just realized that I have memories that weigh more than you ... of course most of them have to do with Lance's mom when she was pregnant with him.

Never thought of you as a heavy thinker, really.

Actually, I've never even thought of "heavy thinker" as a usable expression.

I'm trying to find the connection between the word "underwhelm" and Lance's mom. They've connected many times, I'm certain.

Shit, you guys. I came in here because I thought people were talking about Vampire Weekend. And here you are, just talking shit about Lance's mom AGAIN?

Oy.

corianderstem said:
Shit, you guys. I came in here because I thought people were talking about Vampire Weekend. And here you are, just talking shit about Lance's mom AGAIN?

Oy.

What's a Vampire Weekend? :slant: It's that crappy band people were talking about on page 1, right? :hmm:

corianderstem said:

Oy.

She gets around.

Vampire Weekend should write a song about Lance's mom. Then they'd really be getting around. You know, by default.

Saracene said:

So how did you like sex with Peter Gabriel? :mac:

Let's just say he's far from being my sledgehammer.

Ok, ok, I lied. I did not have sex with Peter Gabriel.

Why would I lie 'bout how much Gabriel I had?
Why would I lie 'bout somethin' dumb like that?
Why would I lie 'bout anything at all?
First the window, then it's to the wall
Lil' Jon, he always tells the truth

Back
Top Bottom