Please ride the hype train with me AKA Vampire Weekend - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #316
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:06 AM
Oooh...is it just me, or do the guitars have a bit of an early U2 sound going on? Very '80s, new wave-y, not bad. Thanks for sharing it.

What the hell is it with bands I like and 'Twilight'? Weird.

Angela

Old 06-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #317
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:06 AM
Yeah, I definitely hear heavy U2 influences, and it sounds great. Similar to "I Will Follow."

Old 06-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #318
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
What the hell is it with bands I like and 'Twilight'? Weird.

Angela
I've got the same problem. I really don't understand why so many bands let their music be used by such a bad movie.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #319
Blue Meth Addict

YouTube - Conan O'Brien and Vampire Weekend - NYC show 6/1/2010 @Radio City Music Hall
Old 06-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #320
Rock n' Roll Doggie

^ Ha! So random to see Conan playing along ... very cool.

Nice article in SPIN re: this weekend's 3-day Sasquatch Music Festival at The Gorge amphitheater in Washington state, where they say Vampire Weekend were the "victors":

The 10 Best Moments of Sasquatch Festival | Spin Magazine Online

Here's the key excerpt:

BEHOLD THE VICTORS: VAMPIRE WEEKEND

"At the sold-out Sasquatch, bands holding down the headliner spots haven't necessarily turned out to be the biggest draws. Sure, My Morning Jacket played to a mostly packed house on Saturday, and Massive Attack was overwhelmingly solid on Sunday despite a not-so-full amphitheater floor, but the band drawing the most populous, most stoked, most deserved gathering was unquestionably Vampire Weekend.

And why should anyone be surprised? Contra, their sophomore album, debuted at No. 1 on the charts, and their clean-cut trop-pop is one of the most undeniable sounds of the past few years -- and now everyone finally seems to have fallen for it. His band's sound gushing sweetly and crisply through the main stage sound system as a postcard-worthy sunset bathed the Gorge in a wholesome glow, frontman Ezra Koenig offered up a Jumbotron-worthy grin while cooing the falsetto chorus of set opener "White Sky."

From then on, it was pure pop bliss, as few among the 20,000-plus main stage crowd could resist giddy, danceable shimmies like "A-Punk" and "Cousins." Later, the hook of "Horchata" -- "Here comes a feeling you thought you'd forgotten" -- rang so true. That feeling: Seeing a new member initiated into rock'n'roll's touring elite."
Old 06-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #321
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Aw, cool, sounds like a fun gig! Wish I could've been there. And "I Will Follow" is exactly what came to my mind, too, with the "Jonathon Low" song .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsgov View Post
I've got the same problem. I really don't understand why so many bands let their music be used by such a bad movie.
Eh, it makes for good publicity, I guess. Gets their name out there. At least that's the one positive thing the anti-'Twilight' crowd can say, the musical soundtracks are pretty good. Nothing wrong with introducing people to more good music.

Nice little clip with Conan and the band there! They sounded good together . Thanks for sharing that.

Angela
Old 06-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #322
Blue Crack Addict

The band was on Stephen Colbert's show last night-here's the link, both to the interview and the performance of "Holiday":

Vampire Weekend | June 3, 2010 - Vampire Weekend | ColbertNation.com

Funny little interview. I must be a nerd, I've always used the Oxford comma . Force of habit.

Angela
Old 06-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #323
Rock n' Roll Doggie

^ Heheh. Yeah, gotta stick up for the O.C. as well. Ezra was an english major so I think that deep down he knows its merits, lol. He made the comment in another interview that "the song isn't so much about the Oxford comma as it is about not giving a fuck."

Also funny: Colbert: "will you come back and play us a properly-punctuated song?" Ezra: "we'll see"
Old 06-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #324
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalDrug View Post
^ Heheh. Yeah, gotta stick up for the O.C. as well. Ezra was an english major so I think that deep down he knows its merits, lol. He made the comment in another interview that "the song isn't so much about the Oxford comma as it is about not giving a fuck."
I can go with that mindset . Yay for English majors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalDrug View Post
Also funny: Colbert: "will you come back and play us a properly-punctuated song?" Ezra: "we'll see"
. Yeah, that was good. I liked the bit where he started asking them about '80s politics and if their album had any ties to that.

Angela
Old 06-05-2010, 04:08 AM   #325
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:06 AM
I'm sure the hype train has turned into the bandwagon by now, but whatever the case, I'm firmly on it.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #326
Blue Crack Addict

Eh, well, whatever it's called, good to have you on board. Enjoy the ride .

Angela
Old 08-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #327
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This is pretty hilarious... Vampire Weekend take over the CNN Broadcast Center in Atlanta. Even has a U2 shout-out, lol

YouTube - Boom Box All Access: Vampire Weekend Part 1

YouTube - Boom Box All Access: Vampire Weekend Part 2
Old 08-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #328
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:06 AM
Someone should tell Ezra that Shuttlecock is playing the Batman Forever song on the tour now.

And might as well tell him about Battlestar Galactica while they're at it.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #329
The Fly

Local Time: 11:06 AM
My wife and I have tickets for VW in Montreal. However, I more interested in seeing Beach House and The Dum and Dum Girls.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:18 AM   #330
Blue Crack Addict

Wish I lived in that area, I'd gladly go if you wanted to see those other artists instead. So far it doesn't look like they're THAT close that I'd be able to go see them .

Thanks for that CNN video, LyricalDrug! Very entertaining-I loved the bits with them doing the weather and answering questions from fans/viewers (poor Chris T., though, being unable to participate in most of that). I have to disagree with Ezra, though, on "Kiss From A Rose"-I love that song, and also disagree on 'Batman Forever'. Saw that movie once a long time ago, it was meh. But ah, well. They seem like total goofballs, I love it . They should put up video of that vampire movie they did sometime just for grins and giggles.

Angela

Tags
vampire weekend