Please ride the hype train with me AKA Vampire Weekend - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #301
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:44 AM
What a strange video for "Holiday". Kinda funny, though.

I have no problem with their image-looking at their "Cousins" video and judging the way I hear them talk in interviews, I imagine they don't take themselves too seriously. Maybe they're slyly poking fun at some of the "hipster" stuff with the way they act and dress and whatnot, too. I just have an affinity for nerdy people, though, so eh .

That was a weird mix of "California English" there. Kinda cool, though-I liked the echoy synthy whatevermajig things going on throughout. The word "English" is missing the "g" in the video, though .

Got Contra a while back and like it. I hope they put out "White Sky" as a single, I love that song. May be my favorite song from them thus far, would be fun to see what they could do video-wise for it.

Angela

Old 05-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #302
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
...and judging the way I hear them talk in interviews, I imagine they don't take themselves too seriously. Maybe they're slyly poking fun at some of the "hipster" stuff with the way they act and dress and whatnot, too. I just have an affinity for nerdy people, though, so eh .

That was a weird mix of "California English" there. Kinda cool, though-I liked the echoy synthy whatevermajig things going on throughout. The word "English" is missing the "g" in the video, though .

Got Contra a while back and like it. I hope they put out "White Sky" as a single, I love that song. May be my favorite song from them thus far, would be fun to see what they could do video-wise for it.

Angela
"White Sky" is a fantastic track. They've been using it as the opener for most of their shows on the current tour, too.

...California English Pt. 2 is technically a different song, not a remix, and it's the B-side to the "Cousins" 7-inch vinyl single. Yeah, I noticed the missing "G" in that homemade fan video... kind of ironic, given the song title. Or maybe not, since we Californians speak a dumbed-up version of the language, lol... California English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...VW gives great interviews, agreed. They definitely take exception to all the crap they take from the proverbial haters, but the insults ("ivy league preppies!") are so weak to begin with that they're easy to rebut. Check out this Canadian-radio interview with the band:

YouTube - Vampire Weekend on Q TV

Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #303
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalDrug View Post
"White Sky" is a fantastic track. They've been using it as the opener for most of their shows on the current tour, too.
Cool. Yeah, that's a great song. It's so...happy-sounding and bouncy and...flitty, if that's a word. And I love the way they go into the chorus-the whole "You've waited since lunch, it all comes at once" bit. I don't know why, it just sounds nice.

Quote:
...California English Pt. 2 is technically a different song, not a remix, and it's the B-side to the "Cousins" 7-inch vinyl single.
Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed the missing "G" in that homemade fan video... kind of ironic, given the song title. Or maybe not, since we Californians speak a dumbed-up version of the language, lol... California English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Haha, yeah, and given the band's literate mindset, too, yes, that's exactly what I was thinking .

Thanks for that link about "California English"-pretty fascinating. I don't know if I'd considered it "dumbed-up". I'd call it unique. So if I want to hear people who speak like me, San Fransisco's the place to be, it seems .

Quote:
...VW gives great interviews, agreed. They definitely take exception to all the crap they take from the proverbial haters, but the insults ("ivy league preppies!") are so weak to begin with that they're easy to rebut. Check out this Canadian-radio interview with the band:

YouTube - Vampire Weekend on Q TV
Eh, yeah, I imagine it can get irritating if people misunderstand what you're all about. But that happens. I like that interview, particularly the discussions about race and music. I can't believe some people get so bothered by that stuff. I don't care who you are, where you're from, or what kind of music you're influenced by. All I care about is that the music you make is good to my ears. They can listen to whatever the hell they want (no kidding they like Talking Heads-I think that's pretty apparent. But that's okay, 'cause I like Talking Heads, too). They seem like pretty nice, intelligent guys, thanks for sharing that.

Also, Rostam has one of the coolest names ever.

Angela
Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #304
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

Also, Rostam has one of the coolest names ever.

Angela
Hard to beat a last name that starts with the letters "batman" lol

...so check this out, I was tweeting with Ezra Koenig (lead singer) of VW this morning about U2! Pretty cool.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #305
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Hard to beat a last name that starts with the letters "batman" lol
...this is true .

Quote:
...so check this out, I was tweeting with Ezra Koenig (lead singer) of VW this morning about U2! Pretty cool.
Ooooh, really? That IS cool. Very cool. What all'd you guys talk about in regards to them?

Angela
Old 05-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #306
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I still dig this album a great deal. It's like if Paul Simon decided to record an album with the guys from Haircut 100, all while wearing collar-popped Lacoste shirts!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #307
Blue Crack Addict

Haircut 100! Haha, yes...they DO sound a bit like them. I think the lead singers both even have sorta similar hairstyles .

Angela
Old 05-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #308
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

They only wish that they had their sex appeal.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #309
Blue Crack Addict

...no kidding. Those are some HOT pants those guys on the ends are wearing . And the sweaters! Sex-ay!

Thank god I was but a young child in the '80s...

Angela
Old 05-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #310
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Let's not turn this into the Muse thread.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #311
Blue Crack Addict

Okay.

Angela
Old 05-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #312
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Let's not turn this into the Muse thread.
lolz X 59498485993336661
Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #313
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

Ooooh, really? That IS cool. Very cool. What all'd you guys talk about in regards to them?
Yeah I pretty much signed up for Twitter last week just to be able to read their tweets, lol. Here was Ezra's series of comments:

arzE: watched Michael Moore's Capitalism movie on the plane yesterday. that and the MIA thing got me thinking:

arzE: can you think of anyone who got rich off of making art that in some way or another railed against our fucked-up, unequal world, BUT THEN

arzE: was like i'm gonna live comfortably (but really basically) and give away 95% of my riches?

arzE: like "i'm averaging $4 mil a year, keeping 200k for me & the fam (120 after taxes), gonna post up in Secaucus, the rest goes to the CAUSE"

arzE: gonna spend $20 a day on food TOPS, take vacations at local State Parks, and NEVER take money from corporations"

arzE: John Lennon had the ill UWS apt, Bob Dylan had a yacht - don't think Gandhi used his book royalties to splash out much, hmmmmmmm

To which I replied:

DC_to_Berkeley: @arzE i can't, but U2 splits their (big) profits equally among the 4, and then set aside a very large pie piece for targeted charities also

And then he wrote:

arzE: @DC_to_Berkeley true, Coldplay makes big donations too AND YET, they still all live like ballers. hard to judge, just playing devil's advoca

--------

...kinda interesting to watch a young, morally-conscious band try to grapple with the trappings of impending superstardom in the modern era.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #314
Blue Crack Addict

Indeed. Interesting observations. I personally have no problem with people who (honestly) make money buying nice things, so long as they don't hoard all the money for themselves. If the guys in the band want to splurge a little, it's cool. Just always remember to share.

I'm not on Twitter. Would be fun, though, just to see what else these guys babble on about.

Angela
Old 06-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #315
Rock n' Roll Doggie

New VW track, "Jonathon Low" from the new Twilight soundtrack, dropped this weekend. It's pretty tight:

Vampire Weekend – Jonathon Low | TheHipHopEffect

Tags
vampire weekend