Please ride the hype train with me AKA Vampire Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
8460f25d.jpg

Modern Vampires of the City:

01 Obvious Bicycle
02 Unbelievers
03 Step
04 Diane Young
05 Don't Lie
06 Hannah Hunt
07 Everlasting Arms
08 Finger Back
09 Worship You
10 Ya Hey
11 Hudson
12 Young Lion

May 7

The title is clunky, but I love the album cover.

If Ya Hey has anything to do with Hey Ya, I will personally fly out to each of their douchey Manhattan lofts and punch them in the mouth individually.

I got on the train but had to get off at Meh station.

Kudos to them for at least not sounding typical. Doesn't make it good, though.

Right after Meh station, the next stop is Underwhelmed cross....I expect you'll step off of the train at one of those two.

I've never gotten the "underwhelmed" comments for groups like this. Underwhelmed by what? No one was claiming these guys were the saviors of music or the most original band in the history of the planet. The reviews themselves have all been far from perfect for the group. What in hells name were you underwhelmed by, an 83/100 average on Metacritic?

Maybe the title wasn't obvious enough, but I'm really not interested in shit comparisons to completely dissimilar bands/music. If you don't enjoy them, that's fine, but I would like to ask that you spend your time talking about something you do like in a different thread rather than derailing this with multiple posts of negativity. :)

I'm liking this more with each listen.

Each time I think a song sounds like another band, the next one goes and sounds completely different.

Hard to classify, and even if not wholly original, it still sounds very fresh.

How touchy.

There are threads that are supposed to be positive only? I missed that in the FAQ's.

Underwhelmed speaks for itself. I had never heard of them before this thread, so, their hype means nothing to me. I gave a few songs a listen, as I respect your taste in music. I did not like it. Thus, I'm less than welmed. I'm unimpressed. Whelmed is above me, and I am under it as it pertains to this band. Their rating on metacritic means nothing to me as well. I don't give a shit what a group of faceless critics have to say about music.

So.....Once again, listened to them, expected something good (you accept the word good, no, can we use that?) and did not get it, and so I was
U N D E R W H E L M E D.

Simple stuff.

un·der·whelm (ŭn'dər-hwělm', -wělm') Pronunciation Key
tr.v. un·der·whelmed, un·der·whelm·ing, un·der·whelms
To fail to excite, stimulate, or impress

I have to agree with NSW. While I can understand not wanting a thread full of "Dude, it sucks," it's a little disingenius to post a thread about a band and only want people to pipe up if they agree with you.

I also agree, and I have precious few remembrances of people making out-there and stretched comparisons between unrelated bands. I'm deeply confused.

I have no problem with threads for blindfolded optimism only, but this was never marked as such. What's wrong with not enjoying something unconditionally, again...?

I'm disappointed in all of you. As I wrote those comments I thought to myself, "People are going to light me up like a Christmas tree for this, it's going to be awesome". Instead, you were all civil and polite. Assholes.

I had sex with each and every one of your mothers. Peter Gabriel too.

I was actually pretty uncivilized.

I'm pleased that my Mom got some action, though.

Memories.....

2008 me was a rule breaker.

I don't know how long I'd been back on Interference at that point in 2008, I think it was just a few months (maybe it wasn't and I was just being a dumbass). Before I"d left, the site was pretty strict in regards to moderation. Mods would even intervene if people were going off topic in threads for example. A big "no no" back in the day was coming into a thread that was obviously a "fan" thread and raining on the parade. I'd thought the thread was pretty obviously a "fan thread" with the title at the time, so I remember being frustrated / surprised that sort of thing wasn't being enforced when I returned. I believe the above "argument" took place because of that. Once I realized that sort of thing wasn't moderated any more, I dealt with it (by having sex with everyone's mothers).

Oh, man. I like Diane Young a lot. Very upbeat, some old school vocal melodies mixed with new school effects on the vocal. Yes.

Ehhhh I'm lukewarm to this right at the moment, we'll see.

I KNOW YOU'RE ALL DYING TO FIND OUT IF I LIKE IT OR NOT!

"Step" is probably my favorite lyric this dude has ever written.

Love the biting sentiment behind that simple opening line: "Every time I see you in the world, you always step to my girl". I think we can all relate to that. And the rest is great, too. Damn.

As I alluded to earlier, "Step" is probably the best song they've ever done.

Good for them for not being swallowed by all the overnight success the first time around and continuing to put out fresh material five years down the road.

Step and Hannah Hunt are great.

The rest was nice and/or left no impact on me, but I need to give it a headphones listen. It's pretty good.

The second half did not please as much as the first, but overall, first listen, I'm hooked.

I wonder, sometimes, if I might end up liking the debut now, were I to go back and hear it again.

Back
Top Bottom