Please ride the hype train with me AKA Vampire Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some other people in the comments were saying it wouldn't load for them either. Try another browser maybe?

Hey that worked, thanks.

And that was awesome. Everyone in that room was having a blast. I particularly liked "Walcott" and that old 60s cover.

i took a short trip aboard this particular hype train yesterday. it was a nice ride. very pleasant.

Yeah, it was slightly too different on first listen, but I liked it after that. Interesting cover. It also got me in the mood to hear Time Bomb by Rancid for some reason.

I just wished they would have had someone show the actors how to actually hold and swing a tennis racket. The main actress' grip is so awful that it's all I can look at.

Tennis snob. :wink:

Yeah, I noticed that too. I assume you play the tennis? I played in high school and nowadays I only play a couple times a year. It looks like Jake Gyllenhall was the only one that kinda knew what he was doing.

Anyways, I got a pretty big kick out of the video. The yellow guitar that the guy who isn't Ezra has is fuckin sweet. Would you or anybody else know what make or model that is by any chance?

i caught that performance (hence the cranky text message i subsequently authored), and i haven't watched that youtube video, so i don't know if it was the tv at the hospital or the actual sound but i thought it sounded like crap. which is too bad, since that is a good song.

jealous you're seeing em on thursday. :up:

It was in all honesty, fairly embarrassing and off-putting to be in the crowd at the show yesterday. Not because I thought anyone there was "douchebaggy", or whatever preconceived notion people have about their fans, but because I felt so incredibly old. Funny how a couple years ago, everyone at the show was essentially my age or a few years younger. This time around, I got to stand by a couple of 15 year olds, and what looked like an 11 year old (eat your heart out, GAF!), for the entirety of the show. They seemed to represent the majority of the crowd as well. It was the youngest crowd I've seen at a show.....well....probably ever.

It was actually a sold out show, which rarely happens in Utah. The Blow opened, and to some extent, stole the show for me. Possibly it's because I've seen Vampire Weekend live before, possibly because it was just fun to watch all of these kids look confused and weirded out by The Blow's dancing and onstage antics. Vampire Weekend were fine. Some of the new songs didn't work as well live as they do on the album, at least to my ears, which was a little disappointing. Giving Up the Gun was phenomenal though, and probably the highlight of their set for me. I still enjoyed myself, but I probably won't jump at a chance to chaperon one of their concerts again.

I hope Scumbo's aware that putting "11 year-old" and the name of that opening act in the same post probably just landed him on a watch list.

feeling old at shows is getting a little...old, for lack of a better word. what's wrong with people, do they hit 25 and decide, oh well, i can't listen to good music anymore or go see bands play! that's kids stuff! yup, time to go play nickelback and breaking benjamin only in my car at low-ish volumes lest anyone think i'm 12!

feeling old at shows is getting a little...old, for lack of a better word. what's wrong with people, do they hit 25 and decide, oh well, i can't listen to good music anymore or go see bands play! that's kids stuff! yup, time to go play nickelback and breaking benjamin only in my car at low-ish volumes lest anyone think i'm 12!

I don't and won't ever stop going to shows, but, I still occasionally feel, if not old, older at some of them. Nothing wrong with that, as long as the feeling doesn't impact me.....and it doesn't.

oh, i'm not going to stop going to shows or change my taste in music. it's just a strange feeling.

oh, i'm not going to stop going to shows or change my taste in music. it's just a strange feeling.

You know, I sort of mis-read your original post. I thought you were making a comment on people that complain about feeling old at shows....that their complaints were getting old.....not that you yourself were getting tired of feeling that way. My response still stands, but, glad I re-read what you typed.

You're still old and miserable, though.

Vampire Weekend presents the ultimate quandary for me: I like their music, but to do so, I have to completely ignore their whole stage persona. Those hipster fucks.

Yeah, it happens. There are bands I like that are far more embarrassing than these guys image wise. Can be an awkward line to tread.

I actually dig their image. No other band looks like them. They're definitely not "hipster." They've keyed in on the fact that Polo by Ralph Lauren, somehow, represents the fashion nexus between preppy and hip-hop.

More important of course, the music is just insanely good. It's a rare treat to get classically trained musicians with Ivy League degrees in music in a rock band.

Back
Top Bottom