PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure if this is the best entry point.

But unless you totally hate it and don't want to hear any more from her, I'd suggest Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea.
Don't fear, I really enjoyed this album. Definitely deserving of some repeat spins.

I also listened to this album a few times without hearing any of her previous albums before and I really liked it. She's coming to Rock Werchter and now I'm looking forward to seeing her live there.

For those newer fans, I'd like to share that when I saw her for the first time, in 2001, she opened for Shuttlecock to a crowd that wasn't exactly open-minded.

And in one of the ballsiest moves I've seen, she began her set with a B-SIDE from her recent album. It also happens to be a song as good as anything on the album itself, but it was like, I'm not trying to impress any of you fuckers--take it or leave it.

I fell instantly in love. And she was EASILY the best artist I've ever seen open for SC.

The song in question:

YouTube - PJ Harvey - This Wicked Tongue

:bow:

:drool:

What albums should I move on to now that I've bathed in the holy waters of this goddess' latest affair?

That sentence made me feel like a tool.

I also first saw PJ opening for U2. I had already been a fan for a few years at that point tho. She opened with 'Rid of Me' solo, just her and her guitar. It was spellbinding, even though a minute into it some dimwitted girl behind me said "Omigod, she sounds like Courtney Love!" UGH. Fucking U2 fans. Still, even in a half empty and mostly apathetic arena, PJ was absolutely magnetic.

I enjoyed PJ opening for U2 back in 2001, but to be honest I didn't think that her music really suited the arena setting. It's IMO much better in small venues.

I also first saw PJ opening for U2. I had already been a fan for a few years at that point tho. She opened with 'Rid of Me' solo, just her and her guitar. It was spellbinding, even though a minute into it some dimwitted girl behind me said "Omigod, she sounds like Courtney Love!" UGH. Fucking U2 fans. Still, even in a half empty and mostly apathetic arena, PJ was absolutely magnetic.

She was definitely better when I saw her at a smaller venue (she played a very aggressive set right after 9/11), but she didn't shy away from the arena when she opened for Shuttlecock, either. Plus she was touring her biggest-sounding album at the time so that certainly helped.

Me too. I just thought it was such a random pairing I had to post it.

I really love hearing her talk; I don't think I've ever seen an interview with her before.

I did see that Hal Hartley film she was in, though.

Finally listening to this.

It's ridiculously good. Even on first listen, this might be my favorite album of hers. (Bear in mind I'm kind of a casual fan of hers; I only own To Bring You My Love and Stories From the etc etc.)

would you recommend this to someone who really doesn't enjoy listening to female vocalists?

I don't even know how to respond when someone says they don't like listening to female vocalists.

Like, any female vocalists? And why?

I don't know that this is going to be some magic balm on your aversion to women singing.

Listening to the album won't cause her to jump out of the stereo and make you a sandwich, but it's a pretty rewarding listen anyway.

Back
Top Bottom