PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I know we have a number of fans here, all of whom should be validated by the press Let England Shake has been receiving:

Let England Shake | Music | EW.com (A)
PJ Harvey: Let England Shake - review | Music | The Guardian (5/5)
BBC - Music - Review of PJ Harvey - Let England Shake (9/10)
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake / Releases / Releases // Drowned In Sound (9/10)

Plus a 99 metacritic score. It's actually closer to a 92, but let's not allow maths to get in the way of how cool this record is.

I keep hearing that this is one of her most accessible records, and it's true that it is, in spots, more gentle than others. But this is a supremely harrowing record, one that concerns itself with war and the pain and loss it causes. The arrangements are austere, Polly rarely allowing the tracks to stretch out very far; this album is a series of fragile, emotional and moving vignettes that add up to something very exciting and unique in her discography. I definitely like.

In The Dark Places actually bears a passing resemblance to some of her heavier blues material, but Hanging on a Wire betrays that with its beauty, and this, the first single, is masterful pop:

YouTube - PJ Harvey - The Last Living Rose (Official)

I would say that this and Kaputt by Destroyer are the two truly great albums of 2011 so far, and based on the reviews for both, you can expect them to dominate year-end lists here and abroad. Get on the bandwagon now.

I'm trying to stay away from YouTube until the album is officially released on Friday. I've heard three tracks so far, Written on the Forehead, The Last Living Rose and On Battleship Hill. Loved the latter, the first two I'm not as enthused about but they probably need to be listened to in the context of the album.

So far the critical lovefest it's getting is extraordinary, although I see that according to wikipedia Rolling Stone gave it 3 stars.

It's out in the States, sorry about the wait down under (easy lob for Dalton).

although I see that according to wikipedia Rolling Stone gave it 3 stars.

One for each tear they shed over Justin Bieber last night.

Picking this up after work today. Haven't listened to the leak or anything from it really, so I'll get to experience it fresh. It's PJ, so it's worth saving myself for.

I've only heard Written on the Forehead, which I didn't even recognize as PJ Harvey until the song was announced afterwords.

I've been meaning to listen to her for a while now. If she convinced Thom Yorke to collaborate on a song, then she must be some degree of awesome. And I really liked the song that LM posted.

I've been meaning to listen to her for a while now. If she convinced Thom Yorke to collaborate on a song, then she must be some degree of awesome. And I really liked the song that LM posted.

He was actually on more than one song on Stories, if I'm remembering right.

I just listened to the song on that youtube link too, I also liked it. :up:

I love Polly Jean. I've collected a few of her songs over the years and love them whenever they pop up on shuffle. Been meaning to listen to more. Maybe this is a good place to start.

This leaked days ago.
Her best since Stories...
Beautiful.

Finally picked this up and gave it a listen. Initial response: wow. Will need several repeat spins, but so far so awesome.

I really enjoyed this upon first listen. I'll need a few more in order to evaluate it thoroughly, but these first two months of 2011 have already yielded some fabulous stuff.

I gave a proper listen to the album today, as in I sat in my chair and just concentrated on listening without being distracted by reading or internet as I usually am. I even took out the booklet and followed the lyrics :) It needs more spins but I think it's another great one from PJ, very evocative and in places quite harrowing and powerful, and I can safely say I've never expected her to make an album inspired by World War I/Gallipoli of all things. Somehow the contrast between the naive girlish vocals, dreamy pretty music and the dark lyrics makes it even more disturbing. Between this and White Chalk I miss PJ's full mature voice a little bit, but the vocal style she uses here unarguably suits the album. So far, The Glorious Land, All and Everyone and On Battleship Hill are all big standouts for me.

just got hold of this one, it's lovely!
great week for polly harvey and radiohead fans!

Getting better with repeat listens.
Interestingly, I recall not caring for the individual songs that were released early. But everything coheres greatly on the album. Like White Chalk, it's really a work that needs to be listened to start to finish.

I'm not sure if this is the best entry point.

But unless you totally hate it and don't want to hear any more from her, I'd suggest Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea.

Followed by To Bring You My Love, which always felt was a perfect integration of searing blues and smart pop sensibilities.

Back
Top Bottom