PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That position, however subconscious it may seem, is still misogynist. It means one is either not interested in and/or uncomfortable with female expression, and I just find it kind of offensive.

If I said I don't like any music made by black people, would that be taken as an innocuous opinion?

I can dig where mikal's coming from. I also dig a lot of female artists, but I would guesstimate that the number of male vocals outweighs the number of female vocals in my iTunes by like 5 to 1 or something. Maybe more. Idk. And that figure would be even more bloated had I not found B&C and DI comps.

I think if you can get away with saying you don't like female vocals and GAF still says you're cool, then you must be a pretty cool dude. :wink:

I can dig where mikal's coming from. I also dig a lot of female artists, but I would guesstimate that the number of male vocals outweighs the number of female vocals in my iTunes by like 5 to 1 or something. Maybe more. Idk. And that figure would be even more bloated had I not found B&C and DI comps.

well that doesn't mean much considering how dominated the industry is by men. Not as bad as in movies, but still. There are how many bands with make singers compared to ones fronted by women? 100 to 1?

The balance is a little better when it comes to singer-songwriters or R&B artists, but I imagine even there you're looking at a 10 to 1 ratio.

lazarus said:
That position, however subconscious it may seem, is still misogynist. It means one is either not interested in and/or uncomfortable with female expression, and I just find it kind of offensive.

If I said I don't like any music made by black people, would that be taken as an innocuous opinion?

I don't agree with this assessment. For me, I prefer listening to male vocalist more than females because I can relate better to the voice. Not just the sound, but 'voice' in the same sense you would refer to an author having a particular voice. That said, I don't dislike female vocalists either

Most of my favorite stuff is by men. It's certainly legitimate to prefer something you identify with more. But there's a difference between preferring one perspective or sound and totally shutting something out.

That's all I'm saying.

lazarus said:
Most of my favorite stuff is by men. It's certainly legitimate to prefer something you identify with more. But there's a difference between preferring one perspective or sound and totally shutting something out.

That's all I'm saying.

Agreed

That's all I'm saying.

I agree with this and it's unfortunate that some feel the need to close themselves off from fantastic music.

But to be fair, and I do not agree with him at all, this is what mikal said:
would you recommend this to someone who really doesn't enjoy listening to female vocalists?

That doesn't sound like someone completing shutting out female vocalists. I mean, he had enough of an open mind to come in here and ask for an opinion, rather than simply ignoring the thread because it's about a female singer.

PhilsFan said:
Would you recommend this to someone who doesn't really enjoy listening to guitarists from states that trend Democrat?

Would you recommend this to someone who works in the public sector and is fiercely anti-government?

I have no idea what it means to not like female vocalists. It's just like men: there are some good ones, some average ones, some weak ones. Gender has nothing to do with whether a song sounds good when sung.

Up to the third of season one. Pretty good. I hear it's like The Office in that it hit it's strides in season two.
That's 100% true. They really flesh out Leslie (make her more competent), Ron (make him a total badass), and Andy (make him the best kind of endearingly stupid) once they get going in season two.

Space Moon went the way of the Bowie. :(

We accepted everyone there. Everyone who dared rock the fuck out. That's why friggin Cobbler never dug it.

Space Moon.

LemonMelon said:
Space Moon went the way of the Bowie. :(

We accepted everyone there. Everyone who dared rock the fuck out. Space Moon. That's why friggin Cobbler never dug it.

Hey! if you check the last few posts of whatever thread it was in which we tried to restart spacemoon you'll see I was down.

But I do march to the beat of my own drum.

I'm also waiting on peef tenderloin to post the next round of the Bowie survivor.

Like, any female vocalists?

Not that I would put it in so blunt of terms, but I don't exactly enjoy female vocals very much myself. Especially recently. I don't know, I suppose it has something to do with the music it's coupled with. Take the 60s/70s, "pop" music scene. I almost prefer female vocals there. It's just not a tone I prefer to listen to, I guess.

my god. did you read my post or just skim over it and decide that it would be fun to falsely assume that i have something against women? did you also not read my further clarification in which i stated that i just prefer a male vocalist over a female's?

bad form laz. bad form.

sorry to everyone else for unintentionally derailing the topic. to put it back on topic, i did check out the album and enjoyed it.

my god. did you read my post or just skim over it and decide that it would be fun to falsely assume that i have something against women

Honestly, that's not terribly out of character for him. Laz gets worked up over the stupidest shit sometimes.

No offense, Mikal. You're not stupid, just the things you say.

yes djerdap. this piece of music has completely turned my life around. i no longer hate women and will no longer degrade them.

Back
Top Bottom