PJ Harvey.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A saw her a couple of weeks ago on a festival. Wasn't too familiar with her werk apart from the To Bring You My Love album and some stray songs. I was very impressed with her performance. So much that I said to myself that I'd see her again if she'd come back to do a dedicated show. Guess what? She's coming back this fall! :up: So tomorrow I will try to get tickets to that show. :hyper:

(And oh, I bought Let England Shake this weekend. That seems like an excellent album, judging by the one listen I've had of it so far.)

I cannot say enough good things about this new album, of all the things I've heard this year; and it's obviously clear enough that I don't listen to massive quantities of new music.

Apples and oranges of course, but I've been listening to The Hope Six Demolition Project a lot more than the new Radiohead. A lot more. I know it can come off maybe like Let England Shake's slighter companion, at first, but I think there's more going on there than that. It's a deeply knowing work. Plus, 'Dollar, Dollar' could be becoming my favourite thing she's ever recorded.

His voice says dollar dollar
I turn to you to ask
For something we could offer
Three lines of traffic past
We pull away so fast

Last edited:
She closed with that song at the gig I saw a few weeks ago. It was haunting.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

I watched her live from Moscow, it was great after the first five minutes of looking at an empty stage at which Russian fans were chanting.

I'm a terrible PJ fan, somehow this album passed by me at the time of its release :reject: Maybe because I don't spend as much time following the music news anymore.

It does sound like a companion to Let England Shake, except without the ethereal prettiness of that album, and none of the individual songs hit the same peaks for me. I still like it a lot and it's a more consistent work; I love Let England Shake but to me it's split into the first brilliant half and a second half that's really good. "Really good" is nothing to sneeze at of course, but it does make the album feel lopsided. Love the horns on the new album.

I did manage not to miss out on PJ live tickets next year though :hyper:

Hanging in the Wire/Written on the Forehead/The Colour of the Earth is actually one of my favorite runs on any PJ Harvey album. Such a beautiful turn that album takes.

Yeah, if that album has a weak point for me, it's likely the middle from On Battleship Hill to In the Dark Places.

The weak point of me is England. When I first listened to the album I thought it had PJ's most grating vocal since Horses in My Dreams. I liked it better once I heard it performed live but it's still my least favourite track on the album.

I loooove On Battleship Hill though.

Back
Top Bottom