Pitchfork's Top 500 Tracks of the 2000s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful Day deserves to crack top 20 but it won't, because Pitchfork didn't really rate it when it was released, which is a shame. The song has been profroundly influential and is very memorable.

Umbrella in the top 30:up:. Can't Get You Outta My Head:|. I love my Kylie, but she's got heaps of cooler tunes this decade.

There will be more Radiohead in the top 20, kinda expecting Pyramid Song and Idioteque and maybe (hopefully) a Wierd Fishies. Never been huge on EIIRP personally, but it makes sense that it's made it, though I prefer 5 or 6 other Kid A songs over it.

Yuk, Crazy, forgot about that song, never understood what the hype was about, bored me from day one, but yeah almost certainly top ten.

:up: Weird Fishes would be just about my favourite song of 2000-2009.

I like how the intro says the decade is coming to an end... even though there is still 16 months worth of music to be released.

And a new Editors album, and Papillon is the single of the year, and no one at Pitchfork would have heard it yet.

Premature countdown thingo.

I like how the intro says the decade is coming to an end... even though there is still 16 months worth of music to be released.

Well...4 months. 2010 is the first year of the next decade. Like, 1990 is the first year of the 90s and not the last year of the 80s, and 1999 is the last year of the 90s and not the first year of the 00s.

2000 - 1st year
2001 - 2nd year
2002 - 3rd year
2003 - 4th year
2004 - 5th year
2005 - 6th year
2006 - 7th year
2007 - 8th year
2008 - 9th year
2009 - 10th year

Looks a lot like a decade to me. :wink:

If we're talking about centuries, since the first year would be year 1, the last year of the millennium was 2000, not 1999. But when you're talking about decades it does make sense if each year is under the same "third digit".

So, what you guys said.

Wow, is that top 20 hip-hop heavy or what? The only song I have serious objection to is "My Girls" cracking the top 10. That just seems ridiculous. Maybe top 20 or 25, but it doesn't deserve top 10 at this point.

cool but frustrating at the same time.

:up: x 1000000 for the ignition remix love :drool:
i prefer neighbourhood #3 to #1
and get ur freak on sucked arse.
hey ya >>>>>>>>>>>>>> bob

i might have to listen to this all my friends song, you're all talking about it.

The only song I have serious objection to is "My Girls" cracking the top 10. That just seems ridiculous. Maybe top 20 or 25, but it doesn't deserve top 10 at this point.

That is rather ridiculous.

Also, nothing on Funeral should be ranked higher than Rebellion. NOTHING.

That easily could have been a legitimate #1.

Don't even know BoB :reject:

ANNIE's HEARTBEAT!!!!! :hyper: soooooo lovely...

One More Time :| - tis nice, but 5!

Where's TI and Rihanna's Live Your Life? Thought that would make it. I know PitchFork rated it as quality, but can't remember seeing it in there.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs :angry: - I might have to see them and that dodgy lookin' frontwoman in December :|

I'm surprisingly OK with the top 20. Sure, could have picked a better Arcade Fire song, but still... Really happy to see Losing My Edge and All My Friends so high of course. And at least they picked the right Radiocock song.

So, I love LCD Soundsystem and Outkast. I mean, they're two of my very favourite artists. But I'm not so keen on having both of them double up (well, I guess Hey Ya! is just Andre 3000, but whatev') in the top 20. Still, I guess that's the thing these lists, even when you're somewhat happy with the result, you're still kinda let down. Plus this whole thing is premature as fuck anyhow. It's cool to see a summary of the decade like this though, regardless of order or the tokenism in including some really bad hip-hop tracks. It was (and is) a pretty good decade, and a pretty good list. Now I hope that some insanely good music comes out in the last four months and screws it all up.

"Hey Ya" and "B.O.B." should've both been in the top three, at least. And that's to say nothing of "I Like The Way You Move," which should've dented the top 20 EASILY. Can't believe that I forgot about the "Ignition" remix, though. I saw that and was like, "Oh, shit...duh!"

B.O.B. a well deserved number 1 :up:, Idioteque and Tunnels are both well deserved top 10 placings. I think most of the top 20 and heck most of this list are overrated but it did get better as it went on

Weird that "Ignition" made it but "Piss on You" got the shaft.

I think I'm probably the only one here who would have an issue with the Idioteque pick. The lack of How To Disappear Completely is disturbing. :sad: Should have replaced Everything In Its Right Place, if nothing else. Don't even get me started on Wake Up's absence.

B.O.B. kicks ass though. Well deserved #1. And Maps! One More Time! Ignition! I thought the list turned out very well.

Why don't they just give fucking Trapped in the Closet best music video?

Well. Looks like I'm gonna be a dissenter.

I don't understand the Ignition love. What's so special about it? I thought R Kelly was a laughingstock around here anyway?

I also don't get the B.O.B. love. Doesn't do anything for me(and I only just listened to it for the first time about twenty minutes ago after seeing it atop this list - was never an outkast fan). I think Hey Ya is much better, and I've only come around on that recently(I didn't like it at all when it was everywhere in 2004). To say that B.O.B. is the best song of the decade is absolutely, unequivocally insane, imo.

On the subject of hip-hop, how does The Marshall Mathers LP, absolutely one of the hugest hip hop records of the decade, get nothing on this list? The Real Slim Shady? The Way I Am? Stan? I take any of those three over B.O.B. any day of the week.

Other stuff that I think should have made it:
Coldplay - Clocks
Arcade Fire - Wake Up
Arcade Fire - No Cars Go
Muse - Time Is Running Out
Muse - Knights Of Cydonia
Probably some other Muse tracks
Green Day - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Smashing Pumpkins - Stand Inside Your Love
R.E.M. - All The Way To Reno(You're Gonna Be A Star)
Sigur Ros - Untitled 4
Travis - Love Will Come Through
A bunch of Radiohead stuff(namely How To Disappear Completely, You And Whose Army, I Might Be Wrong, Life In A Glass House, There There, A Wolf At The Door, All I Need)
And yes, some U2(namely The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Beautiful Day, and Fez-Being Born)

Among others.

Not a terrible list, a lot of good stuff on it, but I don't think it's a great list either.

On the subject of hip-hop, how does The Marshall Mathers LP, absolutely one of the hugest hip hop records of the decade, get nothing on this list? The Real Slim Shady? The Way I Am? Stan? I take any of those three over B.O.B. any day of the week.

The Real Slim Shady was back at the beginning of the list, maybe in the 200s, I can't remember. Clocks also made the list somewhere in the 100s.

Also, Rosa Parks > B.O.B., Hey Ya. 90s Outkast FTW.

mar27_dave_chappelle.jpg

Drip drip.

Well. Looks like I'm gonna be a dissenter.

I don't understand the Ignition love. What's so special about it? I thought R Kelly was a laughingstock around here anyway?

I also don't get the B.O.B. love. Doesn't do anything for me(and I only just listened to it for the first time about twenty minutes ago after seeing it atop this list - was never an outkast fan). I think Hey Ya is much better, and I've only come around on that recently(I didn't like it at all when it was everywhere in 2004). To say that B.O.B. is the best song of the decade is absolutely, unequivocally insane, imo.

Other stuff that I think should have made it:
Coldplay - Clocks
Arcade Fire - Wake Up
Arcade Fire - No Cars Go
Muse - Time Is Running Out
Muse - Knights Of Cydonia
Probably some other Muse tracks
Green Day - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Smashing Pumpkins - Stand Inside Your Love
R.E.M. - All The Way To Reno(You're Gonna Be A Star)
Sigur Ros - Untitled 4
Travis - Love Will Come Through
A bunch of Radiohead stuff(namely How To Disappear Completely, You And Whose Army, I Might Be Wrong, Life In A Glass House, There There, A Wolf At The Door, All I Need)
And yes, some U2(namely The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Beautiful Day, and Fez-Being Born)

Among others.

Not a terrible list, a lot of good stuff on it, but I don't think it's a great list either.

Yes on "Wake Up," "Stand Inside Your Love," and "Knights of Cydonia," but yeah, no Green Day is good Green Day.

"B.O.B." achieves everything that socially-conscious and fucking rad rap/hip-hop sets out to do. And you can dance to it, or do whatever, maybe play some basketball, or be in a basement. Anyway, I have no qualms with that being up there.

When I look on these lists, I look more for notice than placement, especially since they're taking multiple contributors' lists to make this master list.

Do your Top 100 and post it or something. I'm sure that thread will catch on sometime in December.

Weird that "Ignition" made it but "Piss on You" got the shaft.

"Yo body... is a port-o-potty."

Back
Top Bottom