Pitchfork's Top 500 Tracks of the 2000s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yellow makes my indietastic heart melt. It's so sweet, yet anthemic enough to make for a great, rousing singalong. If only all of their U2 homages songs were so irresistible.

Highlights from 50-21:

Chicago
Take Me Out
Atlas
Since I Left You
Svefn-G-Englar
The Way We Get By
Seven Nation Army
Umbrella
Everything In Its Right Place
Someone Great
Since U Been Gone

I've got my money on Hey Ya FTW. How To Disappear Completely will find its way somewhere in the top 10.

Have either "House of the Jealous Lovers" (The Rapture) or "Last Nite" (The Strokes) shown up, yet? If not, they're sure to make appearances.

Have either "House of the Jealous Lovers" (The Rapture) or "Last Nite" (The Strokes) shown up, yet? If not, they're sure to make appearances.

I'm not sure whether or not "Last Nite" will show up. It very well could, but they already represented Is This It (my personal album of the decade, by the way) with "Someday." And they also tossed a Room On Fire track in the list when "What Ever Happened?" showed up somewhere around the 400s. So they might have filled their Strokes quota already. We'll see.

I doubt that it will be number one, but I have spent an embarrassing amount of time, over the last two days, trying to decide just how high it will land. I don't think that I've seen "We Share Our Mother's Health," yet. That's just weird, but I think it'd be just as weird to see two Knife songs in the top 20 (even on a Pitchfork list).

I don't think any songs off of MPP have shown up yet. So you know that either "My Girls" or "Summertime Clothes" or whatever will show up.

"Neighborhood #1", "Paper Planes", "Maps", some Radiohead song, another big rap song (Jay-Z maybe?), etc. etc.

I'm still holding out hope for a coup by "The International TWEEXCORE Underground," but it seems less and less likely with each passing moment.

Wouldn't Y!M!D! have a better shot?

I'm putting my money on All My Friends as well. Paper Planes is great, but it just doesn't have the power and feeling of the LCD track.

Not looking at the actual list because I'm boycotting ones made by Pitchfork, but has Madonna shown up at all? Because she had some killer singles (and other album tracks) this decade.

Y!M!D! already showed up a long time ago. And, yeah, there was a Madonna song. "Don't Tell Me." Which is an awesome song, if I remember.

One thing I will say about "Hey Ya!" is that it really isn't as good without the accompanying music video.

What about "Heartbeats" by The Knife for #1?

Completely slipped my mind. It and Jose "the Swedish Burrito" Gonzalez's cover are excellent.

I was surprised to see "Fireworks" not crack the top twenty. It's better than anything on MPP. Which is obviously saying a whole hell of a lot.

"Wake Up" hasn't appeared yet, no?

Does anyone think Pitchfork will bite the bullet and put a U2 song in the top 20? And by "a U2 song", I mean Beautiful Day, since it's the only one, imo, that has any chance at all. Vertigo was huge, but I just don't think it's good enough. I think The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Stateless are deserving of being on this list, but they won't be on it. Anything on NLOTH that might be deserving(title track, Magnificent, MOS, UC, Fez) is too new and hasn't made enough of an impact, at least not yet. Beautiful Day is the only song that has a chance, imo. If this were a Rolling Stone list, it would be a lock. But it's a pitchfork list, which means they'd probably lose cred if they put U2 in the top 500, let alone the top 20.

In Pitchfork's defense, however, I was pleasantly surprised to see the inclusion of Robyn's "With Every Heartbeat".

Of course not, but you're crazy if you think they've got some sort of personal vendetta against Shuttlecock. The remasters have all scored extremely high marks. Unforgettable Liar later this year certainly will receive a 9+, and the eventual Achtung Birdie reissue has a strong chance to be a 10.

There's nothing special or interesting about Shuttlecock this decade, so being absent from the list makes complete sense.

Of course not, but you're crazy if you think they've got some sort of personal vendetta against Shuttlecock. The remasters have all scored extremely high marks. Unforgettable Liar later this year certainly will receive a 9+, and the eventual Achtung Birdie reissue has a strong chance to be a 10.

There's nothing special or interesting about Shuttlecock this decade, so being absent from the list makes complete sense.

They didn't put Achtung Baby on their top 100 albums of the 90s. Is there nothing special about Achtung Baby? I mean, if it didn't make their top 10 or even top 20 or 30, fine, chalk it up to taste, whatever, but they exclude AB from the top 100 albums of the 90s and you're telling me something's not up?

Well, I wouldn't take it personally. With the way their remaster reviews are going, there's reason to expect big things in their future reviews. Should it have been on a tops of the 90s list? Absolutely. It's still my favorite album of all time and I don't even like Shuttlecock anymore. But time will tell.

They didn't put Achtung Baby on their top 100 albums of the 90s. Is there nothing special about Achtung Baby? I mean, if it didn't make their top 10 or even top 20 or 30, fine, chalk it up to taste, whatever, but they exclude AB from the top 100 albums of the 90s and you're telling me something's not up?

Dude, forget it. I don't think shitfork suits your taste. You have good musical taste.

This is kind of like when everyone would bash Bush and eventually the bashing became more insufferable than Bush himself.

Yes, I think they DO have a vendetta, and praising the remasters is just another way of sticking it to the current band. The exclusion of AB is one of the reasons I don't read their lists anymore, that's absolute bullshit. Even by indie standards it was an impressive album, only what, 5-7 years ahead of its time?

After Shuttlecock was gracious enough for a sit-down interview, maybe they'll be a little more objective in the future. But no fucking WAY are they giving the AB remaster higher than a 8.0.

The one exception to all this is the surprisingly positive review they gave to Atomic Serve, but of course that's negated by their ridiculously low score for No Net, which in relation to the other two 00's albums certainly deserved more than the 4.whatever they gave to it.

And there's no way Beautiful Shot is making this list, especially not this high.

Has Gnarls Barkley's Crazy shown up yet? Because that seems like a Top 10-er.

I do remember reading that Top 100 albums of the 90's list like 6 years ago and being flabbergasted when Achtung never showed up. Anyway...

Laz, good call on "Crazy." That will most definitely be in the Top 20. Totally forgot about it.

Back
Top Bottom