Pitchfork's Top 200 Albums of the 2000s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impy13

ONE love, blood, life
Get cracking.

And by cracking I mean discussing. Not the adjective Cracking™.

Monday: 250-151
Tuesday: 150-101
Wednesday: 100-51
Thursday: 50-21
Friday: 20-1

That Yeasayer album is a favorite of mine, so it was nice to see that snag a place. I think GAF will be very mad that the Arctic Monkeys debut is that low, and frankly, I was a little shocked myself. Oh good, an obligatory P4K Lil Wayne album in a list. Moving on...Okkervil River! At least Black Sheep Boy was higher than Tha Carter II. Like Water for Chocolate, a worthy hip-hop album, finally. Seriously, Pitchfork has absolutely horrible taste in hip-hop sometimes. Case in point: Clipse, who show up soon enough afterwards. There's no way in fucking hell that Clipse album is better than Like Water for Chocolate, but I digress. Girl Talk is good too; I'm betting Feed the Animals shows up later as well.

This is going to be fun.

I wouldn't be so sure as far as GT goes. Night Ripper kicks the shit out of Feed the Animals.

BSB? Way too low. It'll be interesting to see where the other albums land.

I wouldn't be so sure as far as GT goes. Night Ripper kicks the shit out of Feed the Animals.

BSB? Way too low. It'll be interesting to see where the other albums land.

Oh, I totally agree, but based on Pitchfork's generally shitty hip-hop tastes, that's my prediction.

Also agreed there.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: that filthy Ying Yang Twins song about showing your penis to the ladies over "Bittersweet Symphony" is the shit.

That's a pretty sick moment on the album. I love how he chops up and uses the guitar solo from "Where is My Mind?" And of course, the B.I.G. over "Tiny Dancer" is classic too.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: that filthy Ying Yang Twins song about showing your penis to the ladies over "Bittersweet Symphony" is the shit.

I learned of that song from the Lonely Island parody.

I think GAF will be very mad that the Arctic Monkeys debut is that low, and frankly, I was a little shocked myself.

I'm just happy it made it, really.

What are we thinkin will be up very high on the list? Kid A, MPP, Funeral, Illinois, Sound of Silver, In Rainbows, Yankee Hotel, Yoshimi. Probably one of those M.I.A. albums. I could see them going back and giving Is This It a really good spot. And if they give a spot to Kanye it needs to be College Dropout.

I'd be quite surprised if the top five didn't include both Kid A and Kala. Who knows, though? I'm most-curious to see how they treat ...Trail of Dead's Source Tags & Codes, which received a perfect 10.0, upon its 2002 release.

Source Tag seems to be all but forgotten in the canon, for whatever reason. It's not out of the question for high placement though.

I hear Kid A is -225 for #1.

Fleet Foxes should be up there since it was their album of '08, if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm most-curious to see how they treat ...Trail of Dead's Source Tags & Codes, which received a perfect 10.0, upon its 2002 release.

That's a great album. Maybe not a 10.0, but a great album nonetheless.

I only own 4 of the albums on the list so far. One of them happens to be one of my favourites of all time though. Yay for Silent Alarm.

Ahhh dam, for some reason the "operation (aborts)" when I try and view the list...will try later....

They watched the FSU game this weekend and bumped Tallahassee down a hundred spots or so.

That is, indeed, pretty hilarious...if almost impossible to believe.

Either way, I am glad to see that not everybody has forgotten about Cannibal Ox. The 150 range sounds good enough to me. Good-ass record, The Cold Vein. Anybody who wants to convince him- or herself that Pitchfork's taste in hip-hop isn't all bad would do well to check out that jittery, paranoid, cold-as-ice record. Wonderful stuff.

As far as I know, Pitchfork has only granted a perfect 10 to two initial-release albums: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Kid A. If Wilco - or Animal Collective for that matter - takes the top spot over Radiohead, I doubt that I will ever read Pitchfork again.

The only two albums I know on that list are Arctic Monkey's and Bloc Party. Both are much lower than I would have expected them to be, but deserving enough. Curious to see what places over the next few days.

Either way, I am glad to see that not everybody has forgotten about Cannibal Ox. The 150 range sounds good enough to me. Good-ass record, The Cold Vein. Anybody who wants to convince him- or herself that Pitchfork's taste in hip-hop isn't all bad would do well to check out that jittery, paranoid, cold-as-ice record. Wonderful stuff.

That was one of the few hip-hop albums I was glad to see on there. Like you said, great album.

As far as I know, Pitchfork has only granted a perfect 10 to two initial-release albums: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Kid A. If Wilco - or Animal Collective for that matter - takes the top spot over Radiohead, I doubt that I will ever read Pitchfork again.

According to a list I just Googled:

Radiohead - Kid A
Radiohead - OK Computer
Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See a Darkness
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Source Tags and Codes
12 Rods - gay? (EP)
Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert 1
Robert Pollard - Relaxation of the Asshole
Amon Tobin - Bricolage
Walt Mink - El Producto
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Of original album releases. Then there's 45 re-releases that they've given 10.0.

I don't think OK Computer is an original release review. Pitchfork wasn't around in 1997?

Seeing the Dylan concert on there just reminds me that Love & Theft should be on that list, and I could make a very good case for it being THE best album of the decade, even if something like Kid A is more decade-defining.

It certainly deserves the title more than Wank-off Motel Cocktrot.

Miscellaneous comments:

I really need to check out those Jay Reatard and Yeasayer albums.

We Love Life is excellent, but it seems a bit obligatory, much like Amnesiac inevitably making this list at some point.

Tallahassee is too low.

Cryptograms? What the hell?

The Cold Vein was an inspired choice.

Pitchfork wasn't around in 1997?

Yes, it was. Odelay and Pinkerton were both reviewed back in 1996.

It's not a pride thing. It's not wanting to lend legitimacy to complete stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom