Pitchfork's Top 200 Albums of the 2000s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No chance. :D

see i love and hate Pitchfork. i like them because i've discovered some great music that i probably wouldn't have found anywhere else.

but it's hard to truly like a publication that hates on everything my favorite band does...especially when it seems intentional.

see i love and hate Pitchfork. i like them because i've discovered some great music that i probably wouldn't have found anywhere else.

but it's hard to truly like a publication that hates on everything my favorite band does...especially when it seems intentional.

I'm not trying to defend Pitchfork, but I don't think they're "hating" U2 just for the hell of it to annoy U2 fans. Just take a look at how they've scored the 80's remasters - UABRS: 9.0. Boy: 8.3. War: 8.9. JT: 8.9. Sure, that's still all less than Merriweather Post Pavilion, but I kinda think this incessant hatin' on is in your imagination. The guy who reviewed NLOTH, to me, simply came off as a semi-fan of the band who was disappointed that they hadn't pushed their sound even further with new innovations, like they arguably used to. I've heard worse criticisms here.

I'm not trying to defend Pitchfork, but I don't think they're "hating" U2 just for the hell of it to annoy U2 fans. Just take a look at how they've scored the 80's remasters - UABRS: 9.0. Boy: 8.3. War: 8.9. JT: 8.9. Sure, that's still all less than Merriweather Post Pavilion, but I kinda think this incessant hatin' on is in your imagination. The guy who reviewed NLOTH, to me, simply came off as a semi-fan of the band who was disappointed that they hadn't pushed their sound even further with new innovations, like they arguably used to. I've heard worse criticisms here.

i don't think they're intentionally hating U2 to piss off fans. i think they're intentionally hating U2 to somehow boost their credibility with the indie fan base.

i don't think they're intentionally hating U2 to piss off fans. i think they're intentionally hating U2 to somehow boost their credibility with the indie fan base.

Well that's cool an' all, I just don't think they're hating on U2 with any particular intention, I guess. Obviously depends on the writer, but I don't think they need to try and impress an indie fan base any further with cred or whatever - they're already well regarded as the main indie media, and a big portion of their readers take what they write as gospel.

Maybe they genuinely think the new albums are crap? A lot of people do. The only thing I take issue with is rating ATYCLB and HTDAAB higher than NLOTH. There's just no comparison between the first two and the latter.

But hey, if I Get Wet ("Party Hard" is fucking hilarious, btw, so I have no particular aversion to Andrew WK) can crack the list, maybe when they inevitably redo this list a decade or so from now, we'll see one of those three make the cut.

The only thing I take issue with is rating ATYCLB and HTDAAB higher than NLOTH. There's just no comparison between the first two and the latter.

that's when i really started thinking it was less of their opinions about the art and more about their opinions of the artist.

Pitchfork clearly see 80s Shuttlecock as a big deal. And despite none of the 90s albums making their best of that decade, I wouldn't be surprised to see all three of them (or at least Achtung, Birdie and Cockropa) get high marks for their inevitable remasters.

The fact that they had an interview with Boner and Claycourt on pitchfork.tv and continue to report on the latest SC news shows they're still somewhat reverent to them. Just because the last three albums haven't received positive reviews doesn't mean they hate them. I make fun of the band more than Pitchfork do and I don't hate them. Do I think they've put out two really bad and one lackluster album this decade? Absolutely. But it doesn't mean I have a vendetta against them, and I don't think Pitchfork does either.

No. HTDAAB got a fucking 6.9. NLOTH got a 4.2 because the writer was, as Bonnie said, a semi-fan. One who probably isn't familiar with all of the band's bullshit talk leading up to album releases and genuinely thought this one was gonna be innovative again. One who listened and heard one that wasn't, and was very disappointed. I think the rating was 4.2/10 for the stated goal as opposed to 4.2/10 for album quality.

Pitchfork clearly see 80s Shuttlecock as a big deal. And despite none of the 90s albums making their best of that decade, I wouldn't be surprised to see all three of them (or at least Achtung, Birdie and Cockropa) get high marks for their inevitable remasters.

The fact that they had an interview with Boner and Claycourt on pitchfork.tv and continue to report on the latest SC news shows they're still somewhat reverent to them. Just because the last three albums haven't received positive reviews doesn't mean they hate them. I make fun of the band more than Pitchfork do and I don't hate them. Do I think they've put out two really bad and one lackluster album this decade? Absolutely. But it doesn't mean I have a vendetta against them, and I don't think Pitchfork does either.

mikal, are you still spinning that Floodlight Collective record? Although it still kicks untold ass, I don't actually listen to it, very much. Sad face.

Nice showing for Teh Gator. All kinds of goodies on this section of the list.

We could probably put our heads together and figure out exactly what's going to be in the final 20 tomorrow.

I forgot to look at yesterday's list, but Rings Around The World only getting to the 80's is fucking weak.

Same thing with One Beat in the 70's.

YES!

Is This It is still alive and in the running for the #1 slot! Hot shit. Good shit, 'fork.

Number one is almost definitely Kid A, although the All My Friends upset special still lingers in the back of your mind as you say that.

Oh, I don't actually think there's a good chance of Is This It being #1, but I'm glad that it's in the Top 20. It's my album of the decade, for what it's worth.

We could probably put our heads together and figure out exactly what's going to be in the final 20 tomorrow.

Yes we could. Some ideas off the top:

Is This It
Kid A
Illinois
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
MPP
Funeral
Turn on the Bright Lights
Sound of Silver
One of those Outkast albums

That's 9 right there.

Strawberry Jam will be in there. Person Pitch, too. If you think one or two Kast albums will make it, Stankonia is probably more likely than Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.

I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One and Agaetis Byrjun haven't shown up yet. Book em. It's my

BOOM

padlock.jpg

lock of the week.

The Stage Names maybe?

Person Pitch hasn't shown up. And neither has Late Registration. So:

Is This It
Kid A
MPP
Strawberry Jam
Illinois
YHF
Funeral
Turn on the Bright Lights
Sound of Silver
Stankonia
Person Pitch
Late Registration

12 of 'em.

Welp, I'm a moron. Should have known that about AB, but for some reason my ICHTHBAO says 2002.

Carry on.

So the top 40 is pretty much the Radiohead essential album guide? No surprises there. The odds of Kid A taking the #1 spot are approximately 1 to 1.

Lots of greatness in 50-21.

mikal, are you still spinning that Floodlight Collective record? Although it still kicks untold ass, I don't actually listen to it, very much. Sad face.

you know, i throw it on every once in a while, but it's definitely a mood album. i tried to listen to it in the car the other day, and that didn't work so well.

Back
Top Bottom