Pitchfork's Top 200 Albums of the 2000s - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
No chance.
see i love and hate Pitchfork. i like them because i've discovered some great music that i probably wouldn't have found anywhere else.

but it's hard to truly like a publication that hates on everything my favorite band does...especially when it seems intentional.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
see i love and hate Pitchfork. i like them because i've discovered some great music that i probably wouldn't have found anywhere else.

but it's hard to truly like a publication that hates on everything my favorite band does...especially when it seems intentional.
I'm not trying to defend Pitchfork, but I don't think they're "hating" U2 just for the hell of it to annoy U2 fans. Just take a look at how they've scored the 80's remasters - UABRS: 9.0. Boy: 8.3. War: 8.9. JT: 8.9. Sure, that's still all less than Merriweather Post Pavilion, but I kinda think this incessant hatin' on is in your imagination. The guy who reviewed NLOTH, to me, simply came off as a semi-fan of the band who was disappointed that they hadn't pushed their sound even further with new innovations, like they arguably used to. I've heard worse criticisms here.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I'm not trying to defend Pitchfork, but I don't think they're "hating" U2 just for the hell of it to annoy U2 fans. Just take a look at how they've scored the 80's remasters - UABRS: 9.0. Boy: 8.3. War: 8.9. JT: 8.9. Sure, that's still all less than Merriweather Post Pavilion, but I kinda think this incessant hatin' on is in your imagination. The guy who reviewed NLOTH, to me, simply came off as a semi-fan of the band who was disappointed that they hadn't pushed their sound even further with new innovations, like they arguably used to. I've heard worse criticisms here.
i don't think they're intentionally hating U2 to piss off fans. i think they're intentionally hating U2 to somehow boost their credibility with the indie fan base.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:38 AM
Quote:
i don't think they're intentionally hating U2 to piss off fans. i think they're intentionally hating U2 to somehow boost their credibility with the indie fan base.
Well that's cool an' all, I just don't think they're hating on U2 with any particular intention, I guess. Obviously depends on the writer, but I don't think they need to try and impress an indie fan base any further with cred or whatever - they're already well regarded as the main indie media, and a big portion of their readers take what they write as gospel.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #65
The Male

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Maybe they genuinely think the new albums are crap? A lot of people do. The only thing I take issue with is rating ATYCLB and HTDAAB higher than NLOTH. There's just no comparison between the first two and the latter.

But hey, if I Get Wet ("Party Hard" is fucking hilarious, btw, so I have no particular aversion to Andrew WK) can crack the list, maybe when they inevitably redo this list a decade or so from now, we'll see one of those three make the cut.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The only thing I take issue with is rating ATYCLB and HTDAAB higher than NLOTH. There's just no comparison between the first two and the latter.
that's when i really started thinking it was less of their opinions about the art and more about their opinions of the artist.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Pitchfork clearly see 80s Shuttlecock as a big deal. And despite none of the 90s albums making their best of that decade, I wouldn't be surprised to see all three of them (or at least Achtung, Birdie and Cockropa) get high marks for their inevitable remasters.

The fact that they had an interview with Boner and Claycourt on pitchfork.tv and continue to report on the latest SC news shows they're still somewhat reverent to them. Just because the last three albums haven't received positive reviews doesn't mean they hate them. I make fun of the band more than Pitchfork do and I don't hate them. Do I think they've put out two really bad and one lackluster album this decade? Absolutely. But it doesn't mean I have a vendetta against them, and I don't think Pitchfork does either.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:
No. HTDAAB got a fucking 6.9. NLOTH got a 4.2 because the writer was, as Bonnie said, a semi-fan. One who probably isn't familiar with all of the band's bullshit talk leading up to album releases and genuinely thought this one was gonna be innovative again. One who listened and heard one that wasn't, and was very disappointed. I think the rating was 4.2/10 for the stated goal as opposed to 4.2/10 for album quality.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Pitchfork have been anti-Zooropa and anti-Pop in the past though, they've called AB the band's last great album
Old 09-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

i officially take back what i said.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #71
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:08 PM
you can't now
Old 10-01-2009, 12:33 AM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
Pitchfork clearly see 80s Shuttlecock as a big deal. And despite none of the 90s albums making their best of that decade, I wouldn't be surprised to see all three of them (or at least Achtung, Birdie and Cockropa) get high marks for their inevitable remasters.

The fact that they had an interview with Boner and Claycourt on pitchfork.tv and continue to report on the latest SC news shows they're still somewhat reverent to them. Just because the last three albums haven't received positive reviews doesn't mean they hate them. I make fun of the band more than Pitchfork do and I don't hate them. Do I think they've put out two really bad and one lackluster album this decade? Absolutely. But it doesn't mean I have a vendetta against them, and I don't think Pitchfork does either.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:34 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

mikal, are you still spinning that Floodlight Collective record? Although it still kicks untold ass, I don't actually listen to it, very much. Sad face.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:12 AM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Nice showing for Teh Gator. All kinds of goodies on this section of the list.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 AM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:08 PM
GRZLY BEER ONLY @ 42?? OMG KILL THEM NAW!!!!!1!!!1!!

Also, Phoenix beat the above with the album I said was their best. Sweet.

Tags
pitchfork