Pitchfork's Top 200 Albums of the 2000s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My one caveat: I have a thing about crappy album covers. I'm not sure how Mew even has a fanbase with that shit. This applies to Reatard as well.

I really need to check out those Jay Reatard and Yeasayer albums.

I'm not sure that I agree with this, at least if you're talking about Blood Visions, but I'm of the opinion that you'd be doing yourself a favor by checking out Reatard's singles and a Yeasayer live show. I've spent a lot of time with those two bands, but the LPs just aren't where it's at. For me, in case people for some reason think I'm stating this as WORD OF GOD fact.

I could not be more furious about this only coming in at 114 (I had assumed a top 30 placement), but whatever.

Purple Haze:

The album that launched a thousand rap blogs. By 2005 Cam'Ron, surrounded by a coterie of modest MCs just turning the corner (Juelz Santana, Jim Jones), was slithering around the Roc-A-Fella Records office trying to avoid dirty looks from Jay-Z. He'd already scored his long-predicted commercial smash with 2002's Come Home With Me, so he was playing with house money. Call this a personal project for a relentlessly distant artist; an asshole's lament. Purple Haze is simultaneously a refined, perfectly A&R-ed follow-up and one of the most confusing, crude full-lengths ever. Cam's absurdist wit and impressive ability to coil syllables together are at their height. "Down and Out" both justified chipmunk soul entirely and threatened some sort of misogynist victory lap. "Get Em Girls" made opera safe for trunks. And Mizzle lead the most surprisingly knowing series of rap skits since De La had jokes. Cam hasn't been this good in years. But, really, few rappers have.

Franz Ferdinand at 101? Wow. I love that album, but I never thought P'Fork would throw it in the top 200.

Y'all know what I'm going to say about The Boxer [sic], so I'm not even going to bother.

Lame.

Z
Up The Bracket
The Woods
Stories From The City...
Heartbreaker
Boxer
Give Up

:drool:

(Especially pleased by the appearance of Up The Bracket)

Stories From The City isn't in the Top 50?! Should be in the fucking TOP TEN.

GAF, burn P-Fork HQ to the fucking ground. I'll pay you back for the matches and gasoline.

It should be higher, for sure.

Luckily, matches and gasoline are two things that I already have in abundance.

Look what he's done to Champaign with a few drums of gas and a couple of forties.

Actually have heard seven of those 50 albums, half of them are overhyped as hell but whatever

Seeing No Age even mentioned makes me remember how they made my ears bleed when I saw them live

Eh, this list is crappy. A number of these artists define pleasant but unspectacular (Postal Service, Feist, Band Of Horses), Saturdays=Youth ranked higher than Dead Cities is surreal, and Andrew WK made me laugh out loud. Top 500 tracks was better.

Also, what earned this decade a list that's 100 albums longer than the previous three decades?

But is this list celebrating Pitchfork or the music they critique?

Don't mean to nitpick, it just makes this feel different from the previous lists. It feels more carelessly put together this time around, which I suppose tends to happen when you have a larger canvas in front of you.

I don't think it seems carelessly put together at all. Everything about the list seems right out of their playbook, if you ask me.

Source Tags & Codes getting a 10.0 and coming in at 100? Insert your own decimal point joke here.

Nice to see Girls Can Tell get a nod, what with it being the shit and all.

There's some real hot shit in this portion of the list. But I'm really surprised Yellow House wasn't put way, way higher.

Back
Top Bottom