Pitchfork Festival 2010 - lineup, roll call, miscellaneous elitism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
gawking-at-pitchfork-the-fashion-of-pitchfork-music-festival.2374631.36.jpg

The lineup was filled out yesterday, so I figured it was about time a proper thread was created for P4k2k10.

Friday:

Modest Mouse
Broken Social Scene
Robyn
Liars
El-P
The Tallest Man On Earth
Sharon Van Etten

Saturday:

LCD Soundsystem
Panda Bear
Wolf Parade
The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
Raekwon
Titus Andronicus
Why?
Delorean
Real Estate
Bear in Heaven
Free Energy
The Smith Westerns
Dâm-Funk
Kurt Vile
Freddie Gibbs
jj
Netherfriends

Sunday:

Pavement
Big Boi
Major Lazer
St. Vincent
Lightning Bolt
Beach House
Girls
Sleigh Bells
Neon Indian
Cass McCombs
Here We Go Magic
Surfer Blood
Local Natives
Washed Out
Best Coast
CAVE
Allá

Compared to last year, consider me unimpressed. The mid-range acts are pretty strong, a lot of bands I'm curious about (probably about 17 total, spread out over three days, which isn't anything special, but not a bad average overall), but the headliners are really disappointing, especially on Sunday, which clearly bet all its money on the Pavement stallion. On top of that, no Hold Steady? They're not playing Lolla or any other Chicago dates, there's no reason why they couldn't be secured.

Anyway, enough bitching from me. Who's excited? Who's headed out there July 16-18? I'll be going Friday, if at all; $40 is a small price to pay for what essentially amounts to a Modest Mouse/Broken Social Scene double billing for me, plus an opportunity to discover a couple of great new acts.

Guess it goes without saying that I'll probably be there on Friday, though it's tough with Tom Petty being the next day.

I didn't realize Dalton was going to be there though!

I'll be there Sunday, as seeing Pavement is enough. But, yes, the lineup isn't the greatest. Ah well, it'll be fun to get down to Chicago again for a summertime concert.

If I could switch a couple acts over to Sunday, they'd be BSS (obviously) and Freddie Gibbs. I'm fairly pissed he's playing Saturday instead, because I'd absolutely love to see him.

Looking forward to Cave, Lightning Bolt, and Pavement, on Sunday. Very, very, very, very, very, very glad that I didn't spring for a 3-day pass. Saturday looks ghastly. Raekwon's my boy, but he sucks ass live.

I haven't heard Cave before, but looking over some of their work, I have a feeling I'd like. Gonna check 'em out now. I'm looking forward to seeing Beach House again, if I have the chance (maybe my issues with their drum machines have been resolved...or maybe not). And, Girls would be fun, I think, as well as Washed Out. I'll probably see Cass McCombs too, since he's sort of got the same name as me and all.

Guess I'm the only one who thinks the entire lineup is stacked.

I think Friday and Saturday are great, but I really feel like they based everything for Sunday on ZOMG Pavement.

Washed Out, Local Natives, Girls, Beach House, and St. Fucking Vinny? Nah.

Guess I'm the only one who thinks the entire lineup is stacked.

I think Friday and Saturday are great, but I really feel like they based everything for Sunday on ZOMG Pavement.

It's more like I'm not "OMFG, I need to see them!" about anyone on Sunday except for Pavement. Other than that, the rest of the lineup are bands that I'm sure I'll enjoy seeing, but weren't making me jump out of my seat with excitement or anything. Worth the price of the trip overall though? Abso-fucking-lutely.

Perhaps the weakest lineup since the first...the first might have been better because I don't remember it having as many relative nobodies.

I'd want to see:

Friday:

Modest Mouse
Broken Social Scene
Liars
The Tallest Man On Earth

Saturday:

LCD Soundsystem
Panda Bear
Wolf Parade

Sunday:

Pavement
Beach House
Neon Indian
Cass McCombs
Local Natives
Washed Out
Best Coast

Definitely would grab Sunday tickets if I lived near Chicago. Saturday would be worth paying just to see the first three acts and then leave.

They went with new indie bands, particularly the types that Pitchfork themselves have been hyping, instead of the more mainstreamy appeal type of older bands. I don't know, I don't follow past years lineups because I'm never going, but it seems exactly like the type of festival Pitchfork would throw.

It's funny, on another forum I visit, people are absolutely freaking out (in excitement) about bands no one has even mentioned in this thread yet. :)

Real Estate's debut album is very good. I bet their second will be even better.

I liked Real Estate's debut well enough. Relaxing and easy to digest, with a couple of standouts to keep you paying attention. I don't hear anything groundbreaking there, but I feel the same way about most of what Pitchfork is offering this year.

Well, I think I've got my schedule figured out for Sunday:

Hitting up CAVE, then either Cass McCombs or Best Coast (undecided there), Washed Out (FUCK YES!!), skipping Beach House to see Local Natives instead (another FUCK YES!!), Surfer Blood, then probably going to hop over to the A stage to get a prime spot for Pavement (aka the reason I'm going), while seeing Major Lazer there, and watching Neon Indian and Sleigh Bells on the big screen.

It's going to be a phenomenal day of music. :hyper:

Last edited:
I liked Real Estate's debut well enough. Relaxing and easy to digest, with a couple of standouts to keep you paying attention. I don't hear anything groundbreaking there, but I feel the same way about most of what Pitchfork is offering this year.

I went to see Real Estate play at a club in Philadelphia on Sunday night. I thought they were very good. Agree that the album is laid back in many places. Played live they juiced them up a bit. "Green River" and "Fake Blues" I thought are good tunes on album, but much better live. Also, when they play the instrumentel end of "Beach Comber", I can't help but think of how it reminds me of the end of "With or Without You" (without sounding like it at the same time). Anyway, the drummer was much more fired up live. I think this band will be around for a bit.

And so ends day 1. Frankly, though Pitchfork runs a tight ship, I wouldn't want to attend more than one date, particularly one as packed as Sunday...Friday itself was nearly overrun, and the only two acts the crowd had any response to was Modest Mouse and Broken Social Scene, the latter more than the former, who tried their damndest to lose the casual onlookers and just about succeeded. I have little to say about their set, other than that it was competently performed; I knew next to nothing they played, although Gravity Rides Everything got me back into it at the end. I would see them again, but only after studying their albums thoroughly.

Broken Social Scene, on the other hand, was absolutely amazing; nearly every song was improved upon live (All To All was THE EXCEPTION; something about it felt emptier and less enveloping live), and the setlist was largely good, although I'm still upset that they left 9 minutes early without performing Anthems or Lover's Spit. Then again, how can you complain about a setlist when the show itself was good enough that you would gladly give the band a second chance?

I didn't get much out of the other acts, Robyn excepted, who is class and a true joy to watch. Sadly, I was at the other stage and had to watch from afar. I missed much of The Tallest Man On Earth's set, but loved what I heard. Meanwhile, El-P's mix was too shitty to decipher and I simply don't care for Liars, so there you go.

The hipster saturation was painful and the occasional noise bleed from soundchecking was frustrating, but I generally consider it a successful day, and would recommend the festival to others. But uh, yeah, please remember not to shout out "OMG WOAH DOUBLE AWESOME PERFORMANCE...SO INTENSE" because everyone behind you will likely have it covered.

But uh, yeah, please remember not to shout out "OMG WOAH DOUBLE AWESOME PERFORMANCE...SO INTENSE" because everyone behind you will likely have it covered.

I enjoyed this very much. Thank fuck I am skipping this weekend. Turned on the webcast thing for about 15 seconds, while Liars was playing, and contemplating firebombing the place.

And so ends day 1. Frankly, though Pitchfork runs a tight ship, I wouldn't want to attend more than one date, particularly one as packed as Sunday...Friday itself was nearly overrun

The hipster saturation was painful and the occasional noise bleed from soundchecking was frustrating, but I generally consider it a successful day, and would recommend the festival to others. But uh, yeah, please remember not to shout out "OMG WOAH DOUBLE AWESOME PERFORMANCE...SO INTENSE" because everyone behind you will likely have it covered.

Interesting...last year, I was surprised on Sunday at how NOT packed it was. I mean, by no means was it empty, but there was always plenty of room to roam around and we had little trouble finding areas to hang out and sit in between acts. Hopefully your experience on Friday doesn't foreshadow a cramped day this Sunday.

But, yeah, the hipsters are pretty fucking painful, and Chicago's in particular are complete asshats. At least in Minneapolis, we still have a bit of the nice thrown in with our hipsters (they're still douchebags, but on a lesser scale).

I'm not looking forward to that double fucking rainbow shit though. Good thing I'll have plenty of great weed to mellow my urge to punch some lights out. :wink:

He's exaggerating, I heard no memes being toted around. But I saw plenty of hats and plaid. Maybe that's because there was a stand there selling hats and plaid.

They handled a few things REALLY well, and some not so well. 1) I don't understand the point of having drink tickets when they correlate to one dollar and the water stand is RIGHT next to the beverage ticket stand. Long pointless line I had to wait in and missed most of Robyn as a result of. Only thing, pretty much, that DID have a line. All that being said 2) Even when the water was only $2 to being with, Pitchfork did something fuckmazing and dropped the price half-way through the day to $1 a bottle, and that price is going to last all weekend, so keep that in mind, Cassie.

I had a great time at everything except Modest Mouse. If I had known nothing by them, like I did for Liars, I would've had a blast, because they did sound great. Unfortunately, I know a handful of songs by them, not to mention having heard Moon & Antarctica a number of times, but, it took about an hour for them to play "Dashboard" and that ended up being the only song by them I knew that they played, aside from "Gravity Rides Everything", which, if I may have a moment of sensitivity, was really nice because Travis was SO happy to see it played. So, as a result, I was pretty antsy during their entire set, and I saw hundreds of other people leaving during it, so that was unfortunate :\.

Anyways, many videos forthcoming. I didn't record any full songs by Liars, but dear God that lead singer was killing me. I really liked Sisterworld, but have only heard it once and that was months ago, so, for the life of me I couldn't remember what they sounded like. Fun little surprise there.

Yeah, I had to hand it to THE FORK!, when I went a few years back (when Yoko Ono and De La Soul were headliners), the food and drink was very reasonably priced, and it didn't seem like they were trying to gouge anyone.

Liars seem to be love or hate for most people, I personally love them. I randomly logged onto Pitchfork yesterday, and they were covering Bauhaus' 'In The Flat Field'. I nearly crapped myself, that was awesome.

Modest Mouse has a ton of material back catalog wise, so you really never know what you'll get in a setlist. Too bad they didn't play more you guys knew.

EDIT: Randomly found a video for In the Flat Field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxfoYCoZ4S0

I'm probably the biggest hypocrite in the world for being this upset that they didn't play All Da Hitz at the show, given most of the people on this forum's stance on U2's set lists. It's only because it was a festival, and because I'd been following their set lists for this current tour over on setlist.fm, so I kind of had it in my head that I was going to hear "3rd Planet" for sure. Nevermind "Float On".

Back
Top Bottom