Pink Floyd's Rick Wright dies at 65 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:30 PM
From the radio station's website: A fan's comment on the breaking news:
Quote:
RIP Mr. Wright

i found out the horrible news a few hours age.[sic] Scince [sic] then i have not stopped listening to great pink floyd songs that Richard has helped so so much with. He wrote the music to some of my favorite Floyd songs including Us and Them, Great Gig in the Sky, and Summer of 69. i wish the best for his family and hope i can meet him in the past life.
R.I.P. Richard Wright you will always be missed

Posted By: Matt Trezza - Monday, September 15th 2008 @ 9:41pm
Did anybody spot the hilarious mistake there?

Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
I can't believe the classic rock radio morning show only dedicated a whole 15 seconds to his passing and nothing more.
Here in Canada, CBC Radio played out the hourly news this morning with The Great Gig In The Sky, after they played a few other song snippets, and gave a brief history of the band. It was very moving to hear that, rather than the ordinary news jingle.

Sorry to Rick's fans, friends, and family...

Old 09-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:30 AM
summer of 69... lulz
Old 09-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
I don't agree with something stupid like this but if you are going to do this, why on radio?
They always pull stunts like this and then put the videos online. It's here if your interested: Paul and Young Ron Morning Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Did anybody spot the hilarious mistake there?
Bryan Adams was in Pink Floyd?
Old 09-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
They always pull stunts like this and then put the videos online. It's here if your interested: Paul and Young Ron Morning Show
I'll pass thanks...
Old 09-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't think he succeeded anyway...
Old 09-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #52
Refugee

Quite the classy and fitting statement from Gilmour. Anyone who needs a reminder of Wright's understated brilliance should listen to the organ solo that closes "Cirrus Minor" - it is haunting, comforting, and elegiac at the same time.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #53
The Fly

Local Time: 02:30 PM
I saw David Gilmour at Massey Hall in Toronto for his last album tour and was very excited to see Rick playing with him....I feel very fortunate to have seen them together.....RIP
Old 09-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #54
45:33

Local Time: 01:30 AM
I think the thing that shatters me the most is that no one band/artist in my lifetime or when I've cared has died, like I like the Beatles, but John Lennon died in 1980, not my lifetime, and George died in what was it, like 2000? When I didn't care. This is the first time someone I've liked has died.

Our local rag gave him about 20 words, which was deplorable. But the other paper wrote a huge 800-word obituary, which was fantastic, and I'm going to try and write an obituary or letter to the editor of the other paper.

Great words from Gilmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
I checked the classic rock station here 104.3 yesterday in the evening and heard nothing Floyd related.
Our classic rock station is 104.3 as well
Old 09-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonGirl View Post
Roger Waters (a subtle, but fitting tribute...the screen image from "Wish You Were Here" that was used on the '07/'08 tour - and I think we can also expect to see a written statement soon)
Quote:
"I was very sad to hear of Rick's premature death, I knew he had been ill, but the end came suddenly and shockingly. My thoughts are with his family, particularly [his daughters] Jamie and Gala and their mum Juliet, who I knew very well in the old days, and always liked very much and greatly admired.

"As for the man and his work, it is hard to overstate the importance of his musical voice in the Pink Floyd of the '60s and '70s. The intriguing, jazz influenced modulations and voicings so familiar in 'Us and Them' and 'Great Gig in the Sky,' which lent those compositions both their extraordinary humanity and their majesty, are omnipresent in all the collaborative work the four of us did in those times. Rick's ear for harmonic progression was our bedrock.

"I am very grateful for the opportunity that Live 8 afforded me to engage with him and David [Gilmour] and Nick [Mason] that one last time. I wish there had been more."

Pink Floyd news :: Brain Damage - Tributes paid to Richard Wright from across the world
Haven't seen anything from Nick, yet...
Old 09-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Good to see Roger's statement. Wonder if they'll have a tribute concert or something for him.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:01 AM   #57

I'm going to a tribute concert tonight and every single person I know who woulda been interested is busy
Old 09-19-2008, 07:11 AM   #58
Refugee

I just got back off holiday last night and found out this news, im really gutted. I'm the same as COBL_04 in that this is really the first musician whose work i've really appreciated has passed away. In my view he was criminally underrated as a pioneer of psychedelia in the 60s as well as the synthesiser; and two of my favourite Floyd tracks are Summer '68 and Stay - really different to more famous Floyd work. I really hope Gilmour, Waters and Mason have the good grace to do something together to pay tribute to Rick in the same way they (almost) did at Syd's concert.

I love the quote i read somewhere earlier - heaven's house band just got a little bit better. R.I.P. Rick
Old 09-20-2008, 04:28 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyJB View Post
I love the quote i read somewhere earlier - heaven's house band just got a little bit better. R.I.P. Rick
That's awesome

The tribute band I saw last night didn't harp on it much actually, they just said "dedicate this show to Rick, a genius" and "this is for rick" before WYWH.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #60
Refugee

I remember reading on U2tours during Vertigo leg 3 that Bono gave a shout-out to Rick when he was at one of the shows, I think thats pretty cool.

I imagine any sort of tribute event will be a while off; Syd's was I seem to remember. It would be really really nice to see Mason, Gilmour and Waters just doing something together, even if its just a song. I can only imagine that losing one of the band must surely put any bitterness or rivalry in some sort of context - Nick said in his statement something about realising your own mortality.

Tags
pink floyd, rick wright