Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I received the massive Dark Side box, but have yet to listen to the remaster. I did see some of the single-disc reissues, but was disappointed with the packaging, although that probably shouldn't matter. I just think that the mid-90s reissues had a lot of character.

I didn't bother with the mid-90's remasters for most of the titles because I had the box set, although I do have some of them. I still think these sound better, although I agree the packaging isn't anything special.

This was once my favourite thread on the entire forum. What a shame that cdisantis bloke doesn't post anymore, I was a big fan of his/her posts.

So many lost along the way...

I'm still torn on whether to buy the mega-WYWH box. It doesn't offer much in the way of bonus material, but it is also one of my top five albums of all time.

i almost dropped a pretty good chunk of cash on some PF today, but the star wars bluray set was calling.

I got the Piper At The Gates Of Dawn box set a few years ago. Couples well with my current mod kick and also is a good example of Floyd before they were Floyd. Gave me a new appreciation for Syd Barrett and Wish You Were Here.

:twocents:

I haven't had the time to listen to the remasters I downloaded (just the albums I liked), but I did listen to all of the bonus discs from the Dark Side box. I absolutely adore the alternate takes version of the album, just as interesting as the real thing.

The bonus disc of the WYWH reissue is intriguing - you should check it out, Cobbler. There's a version of the title track that features an extended, strangely bucolic violin solo, and the alternate version of Have a Cigar also features a much longer solo than the one found on the official version. The track "Wine Glasses" is essentially the synth intro to Shine On. It's interesting to see how the tracks developed from earlier concepts.

:bump:

So, I've been on a Floyd kick lately, and while listening, I remembered a long-abandoned PF thread that used to be, years ago, one of the most active in B&C. So I've found it and (after reading all 37 pages of it last night - yes, I have too much time on my hands) bumped it in an attempt to generate some Floyd discussion.

I'll just say that I've been enjoying, in particular, some of their most epic tracks - Atom Heart Mother, Echoes, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Dogs, etc. Hell, you could include DSOTM in that list if you think of it as one big, uber-epic 43-minute piece, though not everybody does. There's a whole lot of music out there, but there's nothing quite like these Floyd epics. I could listen to them over and over. :drool:

What I don't understand is why AHM isn't as 'loved' as the others. The band themselves - at least Gilmour and Waters - apparently hate it(although Gilmour joined an orchestra on stage for a performance of it a few years ago, so you never know), and there was some negative reaction to it here when I included it on one of my desert island lists. It's one of my very favorites. The last two, two and a half minutes is one of the most epic things I've heard on a rock record.

Anyway, I'll finish with a top 10:

1. Atom Heart Mother
2. Echoes
3. Dogs
4. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
5. Brain Damage
6. Comfortably Numb
7. Wish You Were Here
8. Any Colour You Like
9. On The Turning Away
10. Sheep(or Time, or...this is too hard)

Also, if I haven't yet heard Saucerful Of Secrets, More, Ummagumma, Obscured By Clouds, or The Division Bell, where should I start?

DSOTM remains my all-time #1. WYWH & Animals both reside in my top 15, the former top 10.

Us and Them > Any Colour You Like > Brain Damage > Eclipse is about as perfect as music gets, in my opinion.

namkcuR said:
:bump:

So, I've been on a Floyd kick lately, and while listening, I remembered a long-abandoned PF thread that used to be, years ago, one of the most active in B&C. So I've found it and (after reading all 37 pages of it last night - yes, I have too much time on my hands) bumped it in an attempt to generate some Floyd discussion.

I'll just say that I've been enjoying, in particular, some of their most epic tracks - Atom Heart Mother, Echoes, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Dogs, etc. Hell, you could include DSOTM in that list if you think of it as one big, uber-epic 43-minute piece, though not everybody does. There's a whole lot of music out there, but there's nothing quite like these Floyd epics. I could listen to them over and over. :drool:

What I don't understand is why AHM isn't as 'loved' as the others. The band themselves - at least Gilmour and Waters - apparently hate it(although Gilmour joined an orchestra on stage for a performance of it a few years ago, so you never know), and there was some negative reaction to it here when I included it on one of my desert island lists. It's one of my very favorites. The last two, two and a half minutes is one of the most epic things I've heard on a rock record.

Anyway, I'll finish with a top 10:

1. Atom Heart Mother
2. Echoes
3. Dogs
4. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
5. Brain Damage
6. Comfortably Numb
7. Wish You Were Here
8. Any Colour You Like
9. On The Turning Away
10. Sheep(or Time, or...this is too hard)

Also, if I haven't yet heard Saucerful Of Secrets, More, Ummagumma, Obscured By Clouds, or The Division Bell, where should I start?

Obscured by Clouds is the Floyd underrated album. It's my fave out of the "Big 5".

Sorry, man, but I just can't agree with you if that list is signifying that Atom Heart Mother is superior to the Shine On suite. :wink:

Regarding the next step, I have been and continue to be a stalwart advocate for More. It's erratic for sure, but there are some gems scattered throughout, especially Cirrus Minor, which remains one of my top Floyd tracks, The Nile Song, and Cymbaline. In short, it's a great representation of everything that they could do.

Cymbaline is one of my favorite songs ever. The production and overall atmosphere is suffocating, but its chorus is strangely powerful and uplifting.

More is the Passengers of Pink Floyd, only more drab and boring. Cymbaline would be their Your Blue Room.

Obscured by Clouds is the Floyd underrated album. It's my fave out of the "Big 5".

As far as I am concerned, Meddle is in the big five, not Obscured by Clouds.

Actually, Meddle is by far and away my favourite Floyd album. :drool:

djerdap said:
As far as I am concerned, Meddle is in the big five, not Obscured by Clouds.

Actually, Meddle is by far and away my favourite Floyd album. :drool:

Sorry, what i meant was: not counting the big 5 albums, Obscured is my fave.
Sometimes it's hard to express when one is not an english native speaker.

Obscured by Clouds is one of my favorite fall records, so I played it tonight. Really fond of Stay, forgot how beautiful that song is.

I love Pink Floyd, and may or may not have read through this entire thread once in the past. Oops.

My favorite album is Wish You Were Here and favorite song is Us And Them. :heart:

What is the consensus around here about AMLOR and Division Bell?

AMLOR was decent, but it seemed more like a David Gilmour solo album that was trying to sound like a Pink Floyd album.

DB seemed more in the spirit of Pink Floyd and definitely more of a band effort. I especially enjoyed Lost For Words and High Hopes. It's a shame that David chose not to record a follow up Pink Floyd studio album.

AMLOR was decent, but it seemed more like a David Gilmour solo album that was trying to sound like a Pink Floyd album.

DB seemed more in the spirit of Pink Floyd and definitely more of a band effort. I especially enjoyed Lost For Words and High Hopes. It's a shame that David chose not to record a follow up Pink Floyd studio album.

My thoughts as well. But i also love the Pulse versions of High Hopes and the other "new" songs (like Sorrow) more than the studio versions.

The Division Bell has High Hopes, which is one of my favourite songs in general, so that one gets a pass purely because of that song. It's much better than A Momentary Lapse of Reason and it has its other moments (Coming Back to Life has a fantastic Gilmour guitar solo). It also helps that Richard Wright finally plays an active role again.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason is wrapped in 80s cheese. Learning To Fly, Sorrow and On the Turning Away are good songs. The rest I can live without. Probably the weakest of them all.

I have a profound soft spot for Momentary Lapse of Reason. I listened to it almost non-stop when I was 14 or 15. But I can certainly now understand that it underwhelms as a record. The lyrics in particular are a weak spot, and, as djerdap said, it has not aged well. Division Bell is quite a step up, but I don't feel as strongly about it as I once did, either. Marooned, Coming Back to Life, and High Hopes are all great songs, though. You can probably toss A Great Day for Freedom in there as well.

djerdap said:
The Division Bell has High Hopes, which is one of my favourite songs in general, so that one gets a pass purely because of that song. It's much better than A Momentary Lapse of Reason and it has its other moments (Coming Back to Life has a fantastic Gilmour guitar solo). It also helps that Richard Wright finally plays an active role again.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason is wrapped in 80s cheese. Learning To Fly, Sorrow and On the Turning Away are good songs. The rest I can live without. Probably the weakest of them all.

My problem with AMLOR is the dated 80's production that i wasn't very fond of even in the 80's. That bombastic metalic sound... And i also think the instrumental interludes sound like a Kitaro record. But Learning to fly, Turning away and Sorrow are top notch songs. I think i prefer the Pulse versions of Sorrow and Learning to fly because they lack that bombastic Phil Collins kind of production. Also, High hopes is an all-time classic in my book.

Back
Top Bottom