Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
xaviMF22 said:

:ohmy:

never heard the Time demo:up:

it's great to see how these songs developed

I know. It's amazing how they could go from that to the version on the album.

Have you ever heard the Wall demos?

GibsonGirl said:

I know. It's amazing how they could go from that to the version on the album.

Have you ever heard the Wall demos?

nope....but I'd love to listen :ohmy:

please? :pray:

I'll pay ya :wink:

xaviMF22 said:

nope....but I'd love to listen :ohmy:

please? :pray:

I'll pay ya :wink:

I'll upload the whole thing tomorrow. It's late here. :ohmy: But here are just a few to tide you over:

Mother: http://www.mediafire.com/?51ilyttackb
This sounds demented :lol:

Comfortably Numb: http://www.mediafire.com/?byn2iirblth
Nice lyrics there, Rog.
tard.gif

The Trial: http://www.mediafire.com/?b6dwoyjjv0g
The Trial somehow sounds even crazier with just the piano there. It's like mental asylum music.

Well sorry to :bump: this again but I just had to post. Pulse was worth it just to hear that Comfortably Numb solo. :love: I'd never heard the song before and the solo just blew me away. Incredible.

COBL_04 said:
Well sorry to :bump: this again but I just had to post. Pulse was worth it just to hear that Comfortably Numb solo. :love: I'd never heard the song before and the solo just blew me away. Incredible.

Wait, that horrible version (IMO) on Pulse was your first encounter with Comfortably Numb?! Do yourself a favour and buy The Wall. Or see Comfy Numb the way it was originally intended to be seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qt6b8B5Bd4

With good ol' Rog dressed up as the doctor, stethoscope and everything, and David Gilmour doing the choruses and the solo from the top of the wall. Absolutely magical. :love:

Last edited:
Awesome. I actually don't have the original AHM CD.. only burned. Are the liner notes interesting enough to warrant purchase of the original? :wink:

Zootlesque said:
Awesome. I actually don't have the original AHM CD.. only burned. Are the liner notes interesting enough to warrant purchase of the original? :wink:

For the casual Floyd fan, probably not- although the illustrations for Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast are interesting.

cdisantis83 said:

For the casual Floyd fan, probably not- although the illustrations for Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast are interesting.

I would consider myself a pretty serious Floyd fan. :wink: But AHM is not that great of an album. Even the band doesn't like it now, looking back on it. My favorites on it are probably the suite, If, Summer 68 and that's it. Fat Old Sun is okay but gets boring fast. Alan's Breakfast is garbage. :shifty:

You just named 80% of the album as your favorites. :wink: I may already have said this on a previous page, but I consider If to be their single weakest song. I also read an interview once where Waters said that he would not play the AHM suite for any amount of money. If nothing else, the composition at least paved the way for Echoes, and the album's cover art is invaluable in its simplicity.

Zootlesque said:

I would consider myself a pretty serious Floyd fan. :wink: But AHM is not that great of an album. Even the band doesn't like it now, looking back on it. My favorites on it are probably the suite, If, Summer 68 and that's it. Fat Old Sun is okay but gets boring fast. Alan's Breakfast is garbage. :shifty:

:madspit:

The suite is great
If sucks
Summer '68 is genius
Fat Old Sun is awesome
Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is fun, if nothing else

It was certainly better than More or Ummagumma. :wink:

There is no way that AHM is stronger than More! :wink:
Cirrus Minor (one of their very best, in my opinion)
Nile Song
Cymbaline
Green Is the Colour
Quicksilver
More is probably their most underappreciated album.

Ibiza Bar > Nile Song

Cymbaline & GITC are both great, so I'll give you those. Quicksilver sounds like a predecessor to Ummagumma, which is never a good thing. I do like More, but it's not that good or anything...

Yes, definitely no Animals. :drool: Nothing wrong with that. You can never quite top a classic like that. But, if you think about it, the band was in disarray at the time, what with Barrett being gone, and it is just a soundtrack after all.

I can never get over the quality of Cirrus Minor. If ever a song may be descrbed as lilting, this is it. Rick's organ solo at the end is absolutely beautiful, and is complemented wonderfully by the birds. I once made a "best of" Floyd compilation where I had the sax of Shine On 1-5 fade gently into the bird songs of Cirrus Minor. It was simply majestic, if I may say so myself.:wink:

The Alice in Wonderland / The Wall sync is amazing, I highly suggest you guys watch it.

cdisantis83 said:
I can never get over the quality of Cirrus Minor. If ever a song may be descrbed as lilting, this is it. Rick's organ solo at the end is absolutely beautiful, and is complemented wonderfully by the birds. I once made a "best of" Floyd compilation where I had the sax of Shine On 1-5 fade gently into the bird songs of Cirrus Minor. It was simply majestic, if I may say so myself.:wink:

I agree entirely: Rick's organ work elevates my experience of music to a new plane of existence. Cirrus Minor is one of the most stunning and visionary works of musical atmosphere that I have experienced. The use of found bird songs was genius at its apex: the sheer beautiy of such (as you say) majestic rumination has forged my dreams anew.

For Immediate Release June 29, 2007

SPECIAL EDITION OF PINK FLOYD’S ‘THE PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN’

RELEASED TO MARK BAND’S 40TH ANNIVERSARY

This year is Pink Floyd’s 40th anniversary and to mark this, a special edition of the band’s debut album The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, originally released on 5 August 1967, will be available in North America on Tuesday, August 28, 2007.

The packaging, designed by longtime Floyd collaborator Storm Thorgerson, resembles a cloth-covered book with the original Vic Singh photo on the front, and holds 3 CD discs, along with an 8 page reproduction of one of Syd Barrett’s notebooks. Newly remastered by James Guthrie, Discs 1 and 2 will contain the full 'Piper' album, represented in both stereo and mono versions. Disc 3 includes bonus tracks, including the following: all the Pink Floyd singles from 1967, ('Arnold Layne,' 'See Emily Play,' and 'Apples And Oranges'), plus the B sides 'Candy And A Current Bun' and 'Paintbox.' Other tracks are an exclusive edit of 'Interstellar Overdrive,' previously only available on an EP in France and the 1967 stereo version of 'Apples And Oranges' which has never before been officially released.

The album’s title The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, came from the seventh chapter of Kenneth Grahame's <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Grahame <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Grahame> > The Wind in the Willows <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_in_the_Willows <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_in_the_Willows> >. It was the fledgling Pink Floyd’s first album, charting at Number 6 in the UK. The band members were Syd Barrett, guitarist, singer, and main songwriter, with bassist Roger Waters, keyboardist Rick Wright and drummer Nick Mason. The album was recorded in Abbey Road’s Studio 3 and produced by EMI resident producer, Norman Smith, whilst the Beatles were in the studio next door working on ‘Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.'

The tracks on The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn are:
(all songs written by Syd Barrett, except where noted)

- “Astronomy Domine”
- “Lucifer Sam”
- “Matilda Mother”
- “Flaming”
- “Pow R Toc H” (Syd Barrett/Roger Waters/Rick Wright/Nick Mason)
- “Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk” (Roger Waters)
- “Interstellar Overdrive” (Syd Barrett/Roger Waters/Rick Wright/Nick Mason)
- “The Gnome”
- “Chapter 24”
- “The Scarecrow”
- “Bike”

The current single disc version of The Piper At The Gates of Dawn will be replaced with a new two disc version that will feature the mono and stereo versions of the album and will not include the Syd Barrett booklet or the third disc of extras.

Back
Top Bottom