Pink Floyd Thread - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #766
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:12 AM
Do you hate the term concept album, or do you hate concept albums?

Old 08-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #767
45:33

Local Time: 06:12 AM
The term. You could spin a story about nearly any album and call it a concept album. Is Carrie & Lowell a concept album? By definition it probably is. But if all the PR stuff about it had been "Sufjan returns with a concept album about his mother", people would have rolled their eyes, I think. To Pimp a Butterfly too. The term has negative connotations.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #768
Blue Crack Supplier

Fine, you prefer "rock opera", which conjures up even lamer imagery?

Clearly we're making a delineation between any album with a loose concept or overriding theme and something like Tommy or The Wall, which have clear stories and characters. You can't take the latter to task for veering away from standard song structures.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #769
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
The term. You could spin a story about nearly any album and call it a concept album. Is Carrie & Lowell a concept album? By definition it probably is. But if all the PR stuff about it had been "Sufjan returns with a concept album about his mother", people would have rolled their eyes, I think. To Pimp a Butterfly too. The term has negative connotations.
I asked, because your post clearly diverted into you saying you hated concept albums.

As Laz points out, there's definitely a huge difference between a concept album in general and then a rock opera, which also falls under the blanket term, but has a far stronger negative connotation. I don't feel that the term concept album gets the automatic eye roll, personally. But Rock Opera? Consider the album already destroyed if it comes with that tag.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #770

Well I think if someone was to release a rock opera now it would be met with much laughter. I'm not sure if that was the case at the time of Tommy, Quadrophenia, The Wall. I don't really have a problem with that term because at least then you know what to expect going into it. "Concept album" is pretty loose terminology.

At any rate I don't really care that much, I'm drunk, this is like that discussion about whether genre tags are important or not.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #771
Refugee

Local Time: 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'm pretty sure the moment I realised I wasn't cut out to be a proghead is when I realised every concept album ever made is really fucking lame.
Two words: Diamond Dogs.
One more: Arthur.
And another: Quardophenia
Two more, for good measure: Tomorrow's Harvest

The defence rests, your honour.

Here are some opinions most will disagree with:

Pink Floyd never made a good album after Wish You Were Here.

Dark Side of the Moon is their third best album and it's deeply flawed. Us and Them is far too long, and The Great Gig in the Sky...well, there's nothing to say about that atrocity. Couldn't they have used a sax, or synths, or a blazing guitar solo? Or literally anything else?

Meddle is their best album, and Seamus and San Tropez aren't filler. They're needed to add some levity, and to make Echoes hit that much harder. Pink Floyd were much better when they had a sense of humour.

Animals is the sound of people with sense of humour. Or ability to enjoy life. Or ability to write actual songs.

Piper is perfect and rocks like a motherfucker. Especially in mono.

The first three singles are the best things that Waters, Wright and Mason ever had their names on.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #772
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Well I think if someone was to release a rock opera now it would be met with much laughter.
You mean...like...I don't know...American Idiot?

6× Platinum 6,056,000 albums sold...
Old 08-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
Pink Floyd never made a good album after Wish You Were Here.

Animals is the sound of people with sense of humour. Or ability to enjoy life. Or ability to write actual songs.

What?

Not that I could take your post seriously with the knock on Great Gig. One of the best songs of all time. Name any song with actual lyrics that captures feelings about death as well as that song. It's phenomenal.

And Us & Them is perfect in every way. I mean I'm kinda biased in that I think the whole album is pretty much perfect and the best ever, but yeah. Don't be knockin that song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 08-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #774
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
Every song with lyrics on Selling England is about how the early 1970s affected preconceptions of British culture in some way - Dancing With The Moonlit Knight is about the death of patriotism, I Know What I Like is about the desire for pastoralism in the wake of developing modernity, Aisle Of Plenty is about the death of the local greengrocer and the rise of the supermarket, etc etc.
Selling England is my favorite Genesis album (I just bought it on vinyl), but somehow I've managed to tune out the lyrics for the most part. I will have to listen to it again with this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Wow... This is a great post. And coming from someone I mentally associate with haters of The Wall, too.
The Wall is my 5th favorite album by one of my top 10 favorite bands. Yeah, I'm no hater.

But here's the thing about The Wall: in 2015, age 24, I rarely feel the angst required to get the most out of the album. Though there is some levity, let's be honest, it's a great record for disaffected teenagers. One of the absolute best ever IMO. So now I pick and choose my moments to hear it and when I do, it usually does the trick.

It makes a lot of sense that The Wall is so divisive, especially among hardcore fans. It's a very good album, but it's not actually a very good Pink Floyd album. Gilmour's guitar, outside of Comfortably Numb, doesn't get to soar as highly. Wright's keyboards don't permeate the music the way they do on Dark Side and WYWH. Some songs sound like and probably were recorded by one guy (Waters) in a room by himself. And, in the context of an album about social isolation, that makes a lot of sense. But it's not a record I often turn to when I want to listen to Pink Floyd. It's not a good example of what they do best.

I think of The Wall as a monumental rock album that bridges the gap between prog, glam and the increasingly significant genres of new wave and post-punk. It just so happens to be recorded by Pink Floyd.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #775

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
You mean...like...I don't know...American Idiot?

6× Platinum 6,056,000 albums sold...

Haha. Well, the general music populace is full of idiots, sooooo we can't place too much stock in them. That is a bad album which amazingly was followed by another, even worse concept album.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #776
Refugee

Feelings about death? Maggot Brain. No words though. With words? Try Not To Breathe. The only thing being captured in that song is the singers ability to blackmail someone in the band to get on the record.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #777

Is Hollow Island a metaphor for the space between your ears?

Old 08-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #778
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I don't get your disdain for The Division Bell though. That has some duds, yes, but also some very good songs and stands well as a final album (The Endless River doesn't count). "High Hopes", what a track. I'd rate Division Bell as PF's fifth or sixth best album. Maybe I'm biased in that my first serious exposure to PF was from Pulse, so a lot of those songs have a kind of nostalgia value ("Sorrow" on Pulse is what made me realise that I needed to hear more of the band's work), but I think that Division Bell stacks up even without that.
I sympathize with the nostalgia factor for Division Bell, because I played it endlessly when I was a teenager. I now find it has aged terribly, though, and as Gilmour has dabbled with solo stuff and side projects in the years since, you realize Division Bell is the kind of shit he can turn out in his sleep. For me, it's comforting to hear his guitar in any form, and it's nice to have on, but it's almost the equivalent of smooth jazz for me in that it elicits little to no reaction. There's no spirit to that album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
There's something sickly and thin about many of these songs, as if they're in dire need of attention from their writer.
This is an apt description, especially on the second half, but I would argue that the decrepit feeling is intentional. Narrative-wise, the writer is leaving all of his work and priorities to fester. The run of Hey You - Is There Anybody Out There - Nobody Home is almost ghoulish, but damn it sets a mood with great effectiveness.

Quote:
Well I think if someone was to release a rock opera now it would be met with much laughter. I'm not sure if that was the case at the time of Tommy, Quadrophenia, The Wall.
I feel like there have been a few as of late that have gotten all sorts of praise: some album by Fucked Up a few years back, and one released just a few weeks ago by Titus Andronicus. That's probably more a reflection of critics like Pitchfork finding value in anything retro or arcane, though.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #779
Refugee

No, it's the place where people who can't recognize that The Great Gig in the Sky is an atrocity get sent to and I'm the President and sole customs officer. See you soon: they're coming for you. Try to listen to Maggot Brain before you arrive.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #780
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post

I feel like there have been a few as of late that have gotten all sorts of praise: some album by Fucked Up a few years back, and one released just a few weeks ago by Titus Andronicus. That's probably more a reflection of critics like Pitchfork finding value in anything retro or arcane, though.
Oh you just reminded me of another great one:

Tags
pink floyd