Pink Floyd Thread - Page 46 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2015, 02:03 AM   #676
45:33

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Perhaps I will finally buy my sixth Pink Floyd album, then.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:03 AM   #677
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 05:57 PM
You should buy them all! Even the bad ones have redeemable qualities.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:13 AM   #678
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:57 PM
I've thought about buying the boxed set. Out of the 6 or so Floyd CDs I have, only 2 are remasters (Meddle and Wish You Were Here), the rest the original releases.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #679
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Perhaps I will finally buy my sixth Pink Floyd album, then.
Which ones do you have?
Old 08-15-2015, 11:16 PM   #680

Meddle, The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:11 AM   #681
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Okay. I was going to say if you don't have Animals (I don't think I've ever heard you talk about it), that needs to be the next move.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:50 AM   #682
Blue Crack Addict

You should get Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It's so different from the rest of their albums, but explains their later reference and obsession with Syd.

I also think Atom Heart Mother is hugely underrated!

That said, OBC is very similar in sound and tone to Dark Side, and I know your reverence for that album.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:59 AM   #683

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Okay. I was going to say if you don't have Animals (I don't think I've ever heard you talk about it), that needs to be the next move.
Really? Not even in the cdisantis days? It's probably in my top 10 albums. The only thing on the album I have a remote dislike for is the lengthy, repetitive instrumental break that gets quite dirge-y between the second and third verses of Pigs. That song could have some of its fat cut off the top, it's a bit long. The two Pigs on the Wing are utterly lovely, Dogs is one of the band's very best songs, featuring some outstanding guitar work, captivating lyricism, and much the same can be said for Sheep. I also think it might contain the best outros of any album ever. The endings for Dogs, Pigs and Sheep are all fucking incredible, the apocalyptic Waters verse on Dogs, the monstrous solo in Pigs and that sensational galloping riff in Sheep. Tremendous album.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:46 AM   #684
Vocal parasite

This thread prompted me to revisit Obscured By Clouds. I hadn't listened to it in years and honestly couldn't recall a note. So I gave it a spin yesterday.

... right now I still struggle to recall a note of it.

It was a pleasant enough listening experience, certainly much more enjoyable than tedious shit like The Wall, The Final Cut, or most of AMLOR (I will defend to the death "Sorrow" as one of Pink Floyd's best songs), but the album has never left a mark on me. I wouldn't rank it up with Piper, Atom Heart Mother, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, or Division Bell.

I'm with Liam that Atom Heart Mother is underrated. I don't care much for the overlong title track or the gimmicky brekkie track, but the middle three get to me every time.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #685
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
It's probably in my top 10 albums. The only thing on the album I have a remote dislike for is the lengthy, repetitive instrumental break that gets quite dirge-y between the second and third verses of Pigs. That song could have some of its fat cut off the top, it's a bit long. The two Pigs on the Wing are utterly lovely, Dogs is one of the band's very best songs, featuring some outstanding guitar work, captivating lyricism, and much the same can be said for Sheep. I also think it might contain the best outros of any album ever. The endings for Dogs, Pigs and Sheep are all fucking incredible, the apocalyptic Waters verse on Dogs, the monstrous solo in Pigs and that sensational galloping riff in Sheep. Tremendous album.
Okay cool, I don't know why I don't remember any of those discussions. But completely agreed about the brilliance of Animals, which is a real challenger to Wish You Were Here for my favorite PF album.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #686

Who was born in a house full of pain
Who trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger only at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Who was dragged down by the stone

One of the best closing parts in music, ever. The drumming, the lurching guitar, Waters' urgent vocals, the brilliant metaphorical lyrics, all of it. God I love it.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:38 PM   #687
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The only thing on the album I have a remote dislike for is the lengthy, repetitive instrumental break that gets quite dirge-y between the second and third verses of Pigs. That song could have some of its fat cut off the top, it's a bit long.
Love the rest of your post, but I think this instrumental break is one of the best things about the album. When placed in the context of what the song's actually about (Britain's political system is fucked, in 1977 it was looking likely that Thatcher was going to be elected, and she was going to drag figures like Mary Whitehouse into positions of prominence and it's going to fuck us...which it did) having a big dirge in the middle of a song about the Conservative Party makes sense.

The ending of Dogs is fucking crushing. Amazing. I might go and listen to it now.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #688
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:57 AM
Pink Floyd Thread

I've always loved the ending of Dogs. So epic. Although, and this is a fail on my part, I always thought it was Gilmour singing it.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference
Old 08-16-2015, 09:57 PM   #689

I don't think that's such a bad fail. They sound quite similar at times. The only reason I know is because during that period I gobbled up everything I could about Pink Floyd. I didn't have friends. So in the myriad of stuff I read I read about Waters taking that verse. I think it works really well, though. Gilmour always had a more appealing, emotional voice, I think, which is why his verses in Dogs carry so much gravitas, but Waters' more acerbic voice is so perfect for that ending. Liam's right, it is totally crushing.

I've come across the remasters on Spotify and listening to other tracks now, like Raving & Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy, which turned into Sheep and Dogs respectively. They're both great but did improve when finally released, in particular lyrically. Also Dogs doesn't feature Gilmour rapping, which is a positive.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #690

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
Love the rest of your post, but I think this instrumental break is one of the best things about the album. When placed in the context of what the song's actually about (Britain's political system is fucked, in 1977 it was looking likely that Thatcher was going to be elected, and she was going to drag figures like Mary Whitehouse into positions of prominence and it's going to fuck us...which it did) having a big dirge in the middle of a song about the Conservative Party makes sense.
That's a good point. It's not to say I dislike it, though. I love the song, I just think it gets a bit mired and I like Dogs and Sheep better. But it's still like an 8/9 outta 10 song.

Tags
pink floyd