Pink Floyd Thread - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #541
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:32 AM
I received the massive Dark Side box, but have yet to listen to the remaster. I did see some of the single-disc reissues, but was disappointed with the packaging, although that probably shouldn't matter. I just think that the mid-90s reissues had a lot of character.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #542
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:32 AM
I didn't bother with the mid-90's remasters for most of the titles because I had the box set, although I do have some of them. I still think these sound better, although I agree the packaging isn't anything special.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #543
45:33

Local Time: 02:32 AM
This was once my favourite thread on the entire forum. What a shame that cdisantis bloke doesn't post anymore, I was a big fan of his/her posts.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #544
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

So many lost along the way...

I'm still torn on whether to buy the mega-WYWH box. It doesn't offer much in the way of bonus material, but it is also one of my top five albums of all time.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #545
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:32 AM
i almost dropped a pretty good chunk of cash on some PF today, but the star wars bluray set was calling.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #546
Blue Crack Addict

I got the Piper At The Gates Of Dawn box set a few years ago. Couples well with my current mod kick and also is a good example of Floyd before they were Floyd. Gave me a new appreciation for Syd Barrett and Wish You Were Here.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #547
Blue Crack Addict

Animals sounds pretty damn good now. The last two minutes of Sheep explode out of the speakers...
Old 10-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #548
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I haven't had the time to listen to the remasters I downloaded (just the albums I liked), but I did listen to all of the bonus discs from the Dark Side box. I absolutely adore the alternate takes version of the album, just as interesting as the real thing.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:57 AM   #549

I haven't got any of these yet, but I just read the WYWH set includes Raving and Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy
Old 11-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #550
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The bonus disc of the WYWH reissue is intriguing - you should check it out, Cobbler. There's a version of the title track that features an extended, strangely bucolic violin solo, and the alternate version of Have a Cigar also features a much longer solo than the one found on the official version. The track "Wine Glasses" is essentially the synth intro to Shine On. It's interesting to see how the tracks developed from earlier concepts.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #551
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:32 AM
I saw that The Wall tour is coming to Denver and I wondered if I should try to go. So I hunted around for some reviews of the tour and came across this entertaining piece:

Roger Waters: The Wall Live – review | Music | The Guardian

Still not sure if I should go.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #552
ONE
love, blood, life

So, I've been on a Floyd kick lately, and while listening, I remembered a long-abandoned PF thread that used to be, years ago, one of the most active in B&C. So I've found it and (after reading all 37 pages of it last night - yes, I have too much time on my hands) bumped it in an attempt to generate some Floyd discussion.

I'll just say that I've been enjoying, in particular, some of their most epic tracks - Atom Heart Mother, Echoes, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Dogs, etc. Hell, you could include DSOTM in that list if you think of it as one big, uber-epic 43-minute piece, though not everybody does. There's a whole lot of music out there, but there's nothing quite like these Floyd epics. I could listen to them over and over.

What I don't understand is why AHM isn't as 'loved' as the others. The band themselves - at least Gilmour and Waters - apparently hate it(although Gilmour joined an orchestra on stage for a performance of it a few years ago, so you never know), and there was some negative reaction to it here when I included it on one of my desert island lists. It's one of my very favorites. The last two, two and a half minutes is one of the most epic things I've heard on a rock record.

Anyway, I'll finish with a top 10:

1. Atom Heart Mother
2. Echoes
3. Dogs
4. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
5. Brain Damage
6. Comfortably Numb
7. Wish You Were Here
8. Any Colour You Like
9. On The Turning Away
10. Sheep(or Time, or...this is too hard)

Also, if I haven't yet heard Saucerful Of Secrets, More, Ummagumma, Obscured By Clouds, or The Division Bell, where should I start?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #553
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:32 AM
I've always been a defender of AHM. The track and the album as a whole.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #554

DSOTM remains my all-time #1. WYWH & Animals both reside in my top 15, the former top 10.

Us and Them > Any Colour You Like > Brain Damage > Eclipse is about as perfect as music gets, in my opinion.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #555
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR

So, I've been on a Floyd kick lately, and while listening, I remembered a long-abandoned PF thread that used to be, years ago, one of the most active in B&C. So I've found it and (after reading all 37 pages of it last night - yes, I have too much time on my hands) bumped it in an attempt to generate some Floyd discussion.

I'll just say that I've been enjoying, in particular, some of their most epic tracks - Atom Heart Mother, Echoes, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Dogs, etc. Hell, you could include DSOTM in that list if you think of it as one big, uber-epic 43-minute piece, though not everybody does. There's a whole lot of music out there, but there's nothing quite like these Floyd epics. I could listen to them over and over.

What I don't understand is why AHM isn't as 'loved' as the others. The band themselves - at least Gilmour and Waters - apparently hate it(although Gilmour joined an orchestra on stage for a performance of it a few years ago, so you never know), and there was some negative reaction to it here when I included it on one of my desert island lists. It's one of my very favorites. The last two, two and a half minutes is one of the most epic things I've heard on a rock record.

Anyway, I'll finish with a top 10:

1. Atom Heart Mother
2. Echoes
3. Dogs
4. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
5. Brain Damage
6. Comfortably Numb
7. Wish You Were Here
8. Any Colour You Like
9. On The Turning Away
10. Sheep(or Time, or...this is too hard)

Also, if I haven't yet heard Saucerful Of Secrets, More, Ummagumma, Obscured By Clouds, or The Division Bell, where should I start?
Obscured by Clouds is the Floyd underrated album. It's my fave out of the "Big 5".

Tags
pink floyd