Pink Floyd Thread - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2007, 11:04 PM   #451
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:31 AM
I'm assuming that all of the albums, besides being in special mini-LP sleeves, will be newly remastered.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:06 AM   #452
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:31 AM
"They call it riding the gravy train..."

Pah, the boxset is a waste of fucking money. I most certainly will not be buying it. I already have every album on CD. They're clearly trying to sucker the die-hards into buying this. No casual fan is going to spend that amount of money when all they want is "Another Brick In The Wall" and "Money". If you have most of the albums already, it's far cheaper just to buy the ones you don't have. Putting an album in a mini vinyl sleeve does not change the fact that the music is the same. Even if the albums are newly remastered, I don't think it's worth it. Most record companies buy into the whole "remastered = louder" idea anyway. Did you guys hear how horrible the remastering was on some of the songs on The Final Cut? I bought it to replace the old copy that my father bought in the late 80s, because it had "When The Tigers Broke Free" on it. They maxed it out so much that the drums in the beginning actually crackle when you listen to the song on headphones (even at low volume.) I don't listen to the remastered version at all.

They could do so much better when it comes to re-releases. Wish You Were Here in 5.1, for instance. Or an anniversary edition of Animals with "Raving And Drooling" and "You Gotta Be Crazy" on as bonus songs (or, even better, a live disc from the In The Flesh tour - we all know they've got soundboards stashed away somewhere.)

This doesn't really surprise me, though. Just another day in the life of Pink Floyd Music Ltd. 1987...

EDIT: Oh, and there was supposed to be a bonus interview DVD released with the box set. They've scrapped those plans now. So really, there is absolutely nothing new included in this box set. Just some artwork by Storm.

EDIT 2: Aaaaand, just found out, the albums will not be remastered! But hey, you get a poster! Money, it's a gas.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #453
Refugee

GG, you are absolutely correct, but the damn thing still is, for lack of a better term, awesome. I will not, however, be purchasing it. Did you buy any version of the Piper reissue?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:27 PM   #454
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by cdisantis83
GG, you are absolutely correct, but the damn thing still is, for lack of a better term, awesome. I will not, however, be purchasing it. Did you buy any version of the Piper reissue?
Yeah, I bought the three CD version of the reissue. I didn't have the mono disc (which I actually really enjoy - I'm glad I have it now!) and I wanted to hear the rarities at higher quality, so it seemed like good value for money to me. The inclusion of that notebook of Syd's was also a nice touch. The only thing that disappointed me about it was the lack of "Scream Thy Last Scream" (Nick gets shafted again ) and "Vegetable Man". Some other fans were also whining about not having an official release of "Lucy Leave" and "I'm A King Bee" as well...but I'm glad those ones weren't included because I think they're rubbish.

I don't really have a problem with re-issues, just as long as we're getting something worthwhile. New artwork doesn't interest me very much.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:51 PM   #455
Blue Crack Addict

No Vegetable Man?
Old 10-27-2007, 11:48 PM   #456
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

EDIT 2: Aaaaand, just found out, the albums will not be remastered! But hey, you get a poster! Money, it's a gas.
Yeah - way overpriced, and I won't be buying it.
One thing I'm not clear on is if the sound quality will be an improvement over the existing cds. I read somewhere that the Japanese versions are "audiophile quality" and sell for a lot on ebay. Maybe the bitrate will be higher .
Old 10-28-2007, 02:07 AM   #457
45:33

Local Time: 10:31 PM
LemonMelon - why don't you want to see The Wall?

Dark Side is still my favourite, followed by WYWH, Meddle/Wall. Haven't listened to Animals enough yet. Tonight.

How good is Echoes when it starts coming back after five minutes of birds - about the 17 minute mark... and then about 18:20... that guitar man
Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #458
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

Yeah - way overpriced, and I won't be buying it.
One thing I'm not clear on is if the sound quality will be an improvement over the existing cds. I read somewhere that the Japanese versions are "audiophile quality" and sell for a lot on ebay. Maybe the bitrate will be higher .
Hmm, haven't heard much about those Japanese versions... Just make sure you don't get any Chinese versions.

"I have become come fartably numb"
Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #459
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:31 PM
WTF!!! Is that a joke?
Old 10-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #460
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Hmm, haven't heard much about those Japanese versions... Just make sure you don't get any Chinese versions.
that's hilarious.

That same site also has some details on the Japanese ones based on Original Master Recordings:
http://www.batini.com/_scripts/blart...article=pfgold
Old 10-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #461
The Male

Local Time: 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
LemonMelon - why don't you want to see The Wall?
I have seen the Wall, and I liked it very much. The whole idea of the film seemed off-putting at first, but it's a well-made film and that's undeniable.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #462
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:31 PM
LM, I just read your Wall review on epinions. Very nice! Man, I forgot about that epinions place. It's a cool little review site.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #463
The Male

Local Time: 03:31 AM
i haven't written a review on there in ages. I'll probably do one for In Rainbows when they add it to the site.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #464
ONE
love, blood, life

Zoots, it's not a joke. You can buy it on eBay.

This is still the funniest:

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

that's hilarious.

That same site also has some details on the Japanese ones based on Original Master Recordings:
http://www.batini.com/_scripts/blart...article=pfgold
Ohhhh, the MFSLs! I wasn't aware they came from Japan. A few people I know via AFG have Amused To Death and DSOTM MFSLs. One of the DSOTM copies (which was still sealed) was well over $1000. I love Pink Floyd, but I don't think I'd be able to spend that amount of money on them. Still, those would be awesome to have.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #465
Blue Crack Addict

Tags
pink floyd