Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GibsonGirl said:
Tomorrow evening I'll be seeing Roger Waters from the sixth row on the floor. :hyper: Getting ready to go to the airport right now. I'm listening to On The Run (er, in my head) because I too have a fear of flying.

DSOTM performed in its entirety, bitches. :drool:

Of course, I had to start getting into Pink Floyd the moment Roger Waters leaves Australia. Go figure. :grumpy:

I am ABSOLUTELY loving Time at the moment. The vocals, lyrics, guitar, drums, everything is superb... and then WHAM! it's back to Breathe...

I also love Brain Damage/Eclipse, Eclipse is my most played song on itunes.

I downloaded Learning to Fly. Not bad. I also have Wish You Were Here. Terrific.

Anyone have a colour they like? :drool:

COBL_04 said:

Of course, I had to start getting into Pink Floyd the moment Roger Waters leaves Australia. Go figure. :grumpy:

I am ABSOLUTELY loving Time at the moment. The vocals, lyrics, guitar, drums, everything is superb... and then WHAM! it's back to Breathe...

I also love Brain Damage/Eclipse, Eclipse is my most played song on itunes.

I downloaded Learning to Fly. Not bad. I also have Wish You Were Here. Terrific.

Anyone have a colour they like? :drool:

That's a shame. This may very well be his last tour (unless he FINALLY releases his new album :mad: ), which is why I'm travelling to see him for a second time.

Go download the whole Animals album and you will be hooked on Pink Floyd for life.

GibsonGirl said:

That's a shame. This may very well be his last tour (unless he FINALLY releases his new album :mad: ), which is why I'm travelling to see him for a second time.

Go download the whole Animals album and you will be hooked on Pink Floyd for life.

GET "MEDDLE" FIRST!!!

xaviMF22 said:
The Great Gig in the Sky = AMAZING

Just another example of why my music taste is far better than my friends':

We're playing Poker and I throw DSOTM on. It gets to Great Gig in the Sky. My mate quips, "Can we turn this shit off? It sounds like some pregnant bitch whining."
:silent:
And I kid you not. I came so very close to smacking him over the head and kicking him out, but since he's like four times my size I thought better of it.

This time.

Screwtape2 said:
There needs to be more love for early Floyd. :drool:

The Scarecrow
Point Me At The Sky
Careful With That Axe, Eugene
Julia Dream
Lucifer Sam

:drool: :combust: :drool:

Careful With That Axe, Eugene

is in my top 10

:drool: :drool:

xaviMF22 said:

GET "MEDDLE" FIRST!!!

Psh, Animals is a thousand times better than Meddle. :wink:

WYWH is also a great choice, COBL. My third favourite Floyd album. You've got what is easily one of the greatest Pink Floyd songs ever on that album - Shine On You Crazy Diamond. The first five parts are brilliant. So are the last four parts. And they all sandwich Welcome To The Machine (synth heaven), Have A Cigar (more synth heaven) and Wish You Were Here.

And tell your friends to stuff off, their opinions don't matter.

:up:

I've always wondered about Shine On You Crazy diamond. Is it

1. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond (as in shine on, mate)
2. Shine On You - Crazy Diamond (as in the light is on you)
or is it just plain old
3. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (as in five words thrown together?)

COBL_04 said:
:up:

I've always wondered about Shine On You Crazy diamond. Is it

1. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond (as in shine on, mate)
2. Shine On You - Crazy Diamond (as in the light is on you)
or is it just plain old
3. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (as in five words thrown together?)

It's number three but in the sense of someone saying it so forcefully and quick that there is no pause.

xaviMF22 said:

A year ago I would have said Animals>>Meddle

but Meddle is so :drool:

ECHOES GG!! ECHOES!!

fearless:drool:

Echoes is brilliant, yes, but it's one song! The big three on Animals are capable of trouncing the rest of Meddle with their hands tied behind their backs. :wink:

I think COBL was asking about the actual context of the phrase. In that case, it would be number one, as 'you crazy diamond' refers to Syd.

Short history lesson for COBL, just in case he's not familiar - Syd Barrett was the original lead guitar player, songwriter, and lead singer of Pink Floyd. He had schizophrenia and sadly went off the deep end shortly after the first album (Piper At The Gates Of Dawn) had been released. The band had to bring in David Gilmour to replace him at that point. Roger Waters wrote most of the lyrics for WYWH in dedication to Syd. These lyrics point out the issues of quickly rising to fame, the dark side of the music business, and most of all, a longing for the old friend who had got caught up in it. Shine On You Crazy Diamond reflects a lot of that.

"Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,
rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!
Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
Pile on many more layers and I'll be joining you there.
And we'll bask in the shadow of yesterday's triumph,
sail on the steel breeze.
Come on you boy child, you winner and loser,
come on you miner for truth and delusion, and shine!"

:sad:

Shine on, Syd.

GG, how would you personally rate Floyd's discography?
Mine would be as follows, for anyone interested.

Tier 1
1. Dark Side
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Animals

Tier 2
4. The Wall
5. The Final Cut
6. Meddle

Tier 3
7. Division Bell
8. More
9. Obscured by Clouds

Tier 4
10. Piper
11. Saucerful of Secrets
12. Momentary Lapse

Tier 5
13. Atom Heart Mother
14. Ummagumma

GibsonGirl said:

Echoes is brilliant, yes, but it's one song! The big three on Animals are capable of trouncing the rest of Meddle with their hands tied behind their backs. :wink:

I think COBL was asking about the actual context of the phrase. In that case, it would be number one, as 'you crazy diamond' refers to Syd.

Short history lesson for COBL, just in case he's not familiar - Syd Barrett was the original lead guitar player, songwriter, and lead singer of Pink Floyd. He had schizophrenia and sadly went off the deep end shortly after the first album (Piper At The Gates Of Dawn) had been released. The band had to bring in David Gilmour to replace him at that point. Roger Waters wrote most of the lyrics for WYWH in dedication to Syd. These lyrics point out the issues of quickly rising to fame, the dark side of the music business, and most of all, a longing for the old friend who had got caught up in it. Shine On You Crazy Diamond reflects a lot of that.

"Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,
rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!
Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
Pile on many more layers and I'll be joining you there.
And we'll bask in the shadow of yesterday's triumph,
sail on the steel breeze.
Come on you boy child, you winner and loser,
come on you miner for truth and delusion, and shine!"

:sad:

Shine on, Syd.

:up: Thanks very much for that! I had heard about Syd Barret, and that he'd left or something, and that Have a Cigar was an aattck towards him? I think that's a misunderstanding. Never knew he had scizophrenia though. :sad:

And to reiterate, Anyone have a colour that you like personally? :wink: :drool:

syntax error**

COBL_04 said:

and that Have a Cigar was an aattck towards him? I think that's a misunderstanding. Never knew he had scizophrenia though. :sad:

I'm not sure that the schizophrenia was ever confirmed as his problem. In any case, Have a Cigar is not an aspersion on Syd, but rather an indictment of the pressure that the music industry places on certain individuals. Waters believed that this was a major culprit in Barrett's mental disintegration. Welcome to the Machine works in a similar fashion lyrically. "What did you dream? It's alright, we told you what you dream." :drool: :sad:

Any Colour You Like is one of my favorite Floyd compositions! :drool:

Btw, I think the intro to Dogs Of War is pretty kick ass but as soon as the singing starts, its long & dragging and boring! :slant:

GibsonGirl said:
Tomorrow evening I'll be seeing Roger Waters from the sixth row on the floor. :hyper:

Hopefully Harry will be feeling better - he's been under the weather lately (but still playing). Take plenty of pics.

cdisantis83 said:

I'm not sure that the schizophrenia was ever confirmed as his problem. In any case, Have a Cigar is not an aspersion on Syd, but rather an indictment of the pressure that the music industry places on certain individuals. Waters believed that this was a major culprit in Barrett's mental disintegration. Welcome to the Machine works in a similar fashion lyrically. "What did you dream? It's alright, we told you what you dream." :drool: :sad:

I think it's only really Syd's family who denied his ever having schizophrenia. They all try to blame the band for what happened to him. As we all know, there's a whole lot of drama to that side of the story... With all the inconsistencies that have cropped up with the Barrett family's claims, I've started taking their press releases with extremely large grains of salt. :wink: Judging from the descriptions of the people who knew him and saw him at the time - band members, friends, doctors and whatnot - I fully believe he had schizophrenia that was excacerbated by his LSD habits and the pressure of having to write hit singles. It had to be something drastic, or they could have worked around it.

But yeah, spot on with Have A Cigar.

"We're just knocked out.
We heard about the sell out.
You gotta get an album out.
You owe it to the people.
We're so happy we can hardly count."

Bastards. :mad:

Rog likes to play the same shit-list , over and over and over.....
i liked when he played more of his solo work in 2000

My Mum and I finally watched Pulse this weekend, :drool: :bow: :drool: :bow: I watched bits of that concert many years ago when I was younger and the performance of Time with those bizarre images on the giant circular screen stuck as a particularly vivid memory. Whoever designed lighting for this show is a bloody genius. And the music is not half bad either, :wink:

And speaking of early Pink Floyd, I absolutely adore Piper at the Gates of Dawn, even though it sounds like a completely different band. Lucifer Sam is the best song about cats ever, :heart:

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

I think it's only really Syd's family who denied his ever having schizophrenia. They all try to blame the band for what happened to him. As we all know, there's a whole lot of drama to that side of the story... With all the inconsistencies that have cropped up with the Barrett family's claims, I've started taking their press releases with extremely large grains of salt. :wink: Judging from the descriptions of the people who knew him and saw him at the time - band members, friends, doctors and whatnot - I fully believe he had schizophrenia that was excacerbated by his LSD habits and the pressure of having to write hit singles. It had to be something drastic, or they could have worked around it.

You are definitely right to say that everyone has their own story. From everything that I have read from Waters, who certainly seems to talk about the episode with Syd the most, he really seems to believe that Barrett suffered some sort of egregious nervous breakdown; the rapidity of the demise seems to me to point to something like this, rather than a verifiable case of schizophrenia. Then again, I am certainly not a psychologist. In any case, his example ought to remind the kids to eschew LSD.

cdisantis83 said:

You are definitely right to say that everyone has their own story. From everything that I have read from Waters, who certainly seems to talk about the episode with Syd the most, he really seems to believe that Barrett suffered some sort of egregious nervous breakdown; the rapidity of the demise seems to me to point to something like this, rather than a verifiable case of schizophrenia. Then again, I am certainly not a psychologist. In any case, his example ought to remind the kids to eschew LSD.

Roger flip flops quite a bit on that. :lol: Sometimes he says schizophrenia, sometimes he says nervous breakdown... It's entirely possible to have rapid onset schizophrenia. There are two major forms of the illness - acute and chronic schizophrenia. Chronic schizophrenia develops gradually over time and there's usually little chance of recovery. Acute schizophrenia, on the other hand, develops much more rapidly, sometimes within weeks or months (usually in response to traumatic or stressful events) and usually hits in the late teens/early twenties. And it occurs more often in males. This would definitely fit Syd's situation, so if he did have it, it would have been acute.

[/psychology major] :wink:

I have a question:

How in the world did Dark Side sell 41 million copies? :lol: Looking at it logically, it seems almost impossible. The album didn't really have a hit single (wikipedia doesn't even list any commercial singles from the record), the previous album they recorded was Obscured By Clouds, which no one but hardcore fans has ever heard (even if you say that Meddle increased their popularity, the album still didn't sell THAT well), and they were still a relatively unknown band at that point. So, how did Dark Side break free of all that and become such a hit? :ohmy:

Money was a hit single, at least in the U.S. It reached #13 on Billboard.

And it took a very long time for DSOTM to start selling. It was on the charts for years as it slowly built up momentum. And then, once it was recognized as an all-time classic, people had to have a copy of it every time a new audio format was released. I remember when it first arrived on CD - it was like a new release. It sold that much.

Back
Top Bottom