Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ummagumma (2/5)

I’m disregarding the live versions as part of the “album” and thinking only of disc 2, with the studio material. I understand these are separate compositions from each of the members in that iteration of the group, and you clearly sense it. They don’t fit together at all, and this is a pretty bad effort for an album. In a way, it works as a portrait of the period following Syd Barrett’s departure, when the band was trying to find its identity. Several Species of Small Furry Animals… was weird as fuck. Not sure what to think of it. Ummagumma is saved from total disaster by the Waters/Gilmour middle section. Grantchester Meadows was quite nice, and The Narrow Way suite was good, especially part 3 (hey, a normal song!). The Grand Vizier’s Garden Party is utter bullshit, though.

I could find references to The Narrow Way. I assume Grantchester Meadows was the other one?

Also, looking for Pink Floyd setlists online is a bit of a nightmare. Axver should expand the __gigs franchise.

I regret not being the founder of setlist.fm - definitely wish I'd had that idea sooner. I'd had an idle thought that U2gigs' database could be used for other bands but never pursued the notion.

Yeah, Grantchester Meadows and The Narrow Way (Part 3) were part of The Man and The Journey suite. The Narrow Way (Part 1) was also played at an early BBC session, called "Baby Blue Shuffle In D Major."

They got a lot better at naming tracks as time went on.

For the anoraks, Sysyphus was actually performed live in 1970. Warning, this only somewhat approaches actual music.

I regret not being the founder of setlist.fm - definitely wish I'd had that idea sooner. I'd had an idle thought that U2gigs' database could be used for other bands but never pursued the notion.

Your UI just works really well. Setlist.fm is good, but it is so freaking slow.

Yeah, Grantchester Meadows and The Narrow Way (Part 3) were part of The Man and The Journey suite. The Narrow Way (Part 1) was also played at an early BBC session, called "Baby Blue Shuffle In D Major."

Yeah, those are the only two songs off that album that I would want to hear live. I can't imagine Sysyphus being any good, but will check it tonight.

I can't even imagine how much that must suck to know you could've been the one to have that idea. You were like, right there.

Your UI just works really well. Setlist.fm is good, but it is so freaking slow.
Also, this. Setlist.fm has, to my knowledge, never undergone any kind of makeover whatsoever, either. It's in desperate need.

Atom Heart Mother (3/5)

Alright, so this is starting to go into territory that I enjoy more. Mostly because it balances their over-indulgent tendencies with, to put it simply, good songs. Summer '68 was the big highlight (I'm not so sure it's a best song contender as some have argued, but it clearly stands out in their pre-Meddle work at least), and If is almost as good in my opinion. The suite hints at some of their talent for composition, but it still lacks direction. Honestly, in parts it almost feels as though their approach here was “hey, let’s make sure we use every last inch of this vinyl” (which, to be fair, is generally the problem I have with prog rock). As in Ummagumma, the whole is not greater than the sum of the parts in this record, but the folksy second half is a refreshing sound for them (which I did not expect to hear).

Last edited:
I can't even imagine how much that must suck to know you could've been the one to have that idea. You were like, right there.

There were more than a few times I thought that it would be great to use U2gigs' design for other bands, but it was always in the context of a specific band (on the private backend I even have a section with Alpine's setlists, which I've subsequently copied over to setlist.fm). I don't know if I would have ever thought it make it in a wiki style, and without that it would've required serious time and connections to build it up. When it comes to any project of mine, I'm a bit too much of a control freak and a bit too little trusting of other people to not fuck it up to have been willing to open it for anybody to edit.

Meddle (3.5/5)

So, this was quite an interesting mess. Things heard on this album: sonar pulses, You Will Never Walk Alone and other soccer chants, Seamus the dog, bird noises, a blues, wind noises, synthesized screaming. I thought One of These Days was excellent. I guess Flaming Lips’ Embryonic borrowed a lot from this song. The best feature in this song, and the album as a whole, is that Gilmour’s guitar is now pretty up front and driving a lot of the music here.

A Pillow of Winds (that’s a great song title, by the way) could fit right next to If in AHM. Fearless was great, but the chants were a bit disruptive. Then we get to San Tropez, which is very weird in the context of this album. Almost a pure pop song. Note entirely sure what they were thinking (even though the song is perfectly fine). And followed by a 12-bar blues.

Echoes was the first proper suite/very long song that I enjoyed in their catalogue. I think it’s engaging throughout rather than a mere pointless exploration. The guitar riff is reminds me so much of the Phantom of the Opera opening notes. I’m thinking Lloyd Weber borrowed liberally from this song. All in all, lots of good songs, but again I got left with the feeling that it wasn’t that cohesive. The middle section really stuck out as out of place.

I feel that 3.5 may be underselling it a bit, but the lack of cohesiveness prevents me from giving it a 4.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. I think Meddle is at the very very least a 4. I agree that San Tropez and Seamus are out of place and ruin the flow and so you end up with a record that seems uncohesive but outside of that I think it’s really well put together and a tremendous (and often calm) listen. One of These Days is tremendous, and A Pillow of Winds and Fearless are both beautiful folksy tracks. I don’t think the chants are disruptive at all - they don’t come in until the song is over anyway, and I think they add to the album’s atmosphere, particularly when leading into Echoes instead of San Tropez. Echoes is definitely a very strong achievement, I love that thing from start to finish. There’s also a 30-second guitar part around the 18-minute mark that is up there with my favourite moments in music. Wish it was longer.

There's a great Roger Waters quite about Phantom of the Opera. "Bastard. It probably is actionable. It really is! But I think that life's too long to bother with suing Andrew fucking Lloyd Webber."

Yeah, that guitar part in Echoes was really good. I'll revisit the grades when I have finished with their discography. It helps having a context of the artist's overall work. But yeah, I think most of the songs here are pretty good to great, but it was really a matter of flow (which I think is pretty crucial for a group putting out long suites and known for their ambition).

There's a great Roger Waters quite about Phantom of the Opera. "Bastard. It probably is actionable. It really is! But I think that life's too long to bother with suing Andrew fucking Lloyd Webber."

This is a good line. I had no idea this was a thing, but Phantom of the Opera immediately came to mind when I heard Echoes.

Yeah, that guitar part in Echoes was really good. I'll revisit the grades when I have finished with their discography. It helps having a context of the artist's overall work. But yeah, I think most of the songs here are pretty good to great, but it was really a matter of flow (which I think is pretty crucial for a group putting out long suites and known for their ambition).

Yeah I know what you mean. Flow is kinda crucial when there's only a handful of songs on an album :lol:

You're really getting to the good stuff now. What albums had you heard prior to this?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

He also has some words for Lloyd Weber in "It's a Miracle" from his album Amused to Death: something about an earthquake striking during a concert and the piano lid smashing "his fucking fingers."

Yeah I know what you mean. Flow is kinda crucial when there's only a handful of songs on an album :lol:

You're really getting to the good stuff now. What albums had you heard prior to this?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I really love Animals and Wish You Were Here. I like Dark Side of the Moon. Don't recall the last time I've listened to The Wall in its entirety. I think that's it. I'm looking forward to revisiting them now that I now their early work.

I adore Meddle. It's a 5 for me. I get that two tracks are a bit weaker and out of place, but if 40 minutes of a 46 minute album is a 5, it's a 5. Any one of those other four songs would be among the best on the previous albums. What's left over is goofy but enjoyable.

Meddle is phenomenal.

I love the crowd chanting at the end of Fearless. And it's not just random, they're singing "You'll Never Walk Alone", an old show tune.

Yeah, pretty sure most people associate You'll Never Walk Alone with the Anfield crowd more than anything else these days.

Only thing I associate it with is U2...:shifty:.

I was thinking a few weeks back about making a second attempt at going through their discography. I started a LONG time ago and never quite finished, but this revival of conversation has me tempted. I've long said that I'm more of a fan of The Wall than I am of Pink Floyd, but I've noticed that's begun changing in the last few years, and I have no problem encouraging more love for the band as a whole.

Having listened to Meddle again, I’m increasing my rating to 4/5.

This was obviously a very good stretch of albums. Perhaps a couple more good ones coming up.

Obscured by Clouds (3.5/5)

Nice little surprise. I had no idea this even existed, and it was quite good. More focused than the More soundtrack, and the guitars are coming more and more upfront. It sounds a bit as a transition record, as some of the more pastoral and folk sounds are still present at times, but you can hear they are getting ready for the big things yet to come, including lyrically.

Dark Side of the Moon (4.5/5)

This is the quintessential album that I admire more than I love (although I still like it a good deal). It has impeccable production, fantastic flow, and some great songs (Time is my favorite, but the Brain Damage/Eclipse duo is amazing too). That little transition between Speak to Me/Breathe and On The Run shakes me every single time. But… and I don’t know how to express it well, I feel DSOTM leaves me wanting something more, which I can only find in the next two albums. It doesn’t completely click on an emotional level. This is not very helpful as a description, I know, but to me, everything comes together for Pink Floyd over Wish You Were Here and Animals. Those are the two albums from their catalogue that I go back to, and that I would send to space if I had to preserve it for future generations (why can’t I send the whole discography on a thumb drive, though? Such a passé metaphor).

Wish You Were Here (5/5)

I don’t necessarily enjoy all of Wish You Were Here – it loses me at a couple of moments, especially the vocals in Welcome to the Machine. But it’s still a wonderful album. I think the personal nature of some of the songs – the title track and Shine On Your Crazy Diamond, but also the tirades against the music industry – makes it their most touching record. Wish You Were Here (the song) may be totally overplayed, but it is the perfect song. The most approachable Pink Floyd has ever been, without compromising on quality. The lyrics have some great imagery (“ your heroes for ghosts / hot ashes for trees / hot air for a cold breeze / cold comfort for a change” is a beautiful sequence). And there’s a reason that guitar riff is iconic.

Animals (5/5)

This is clearly my favorite Pink Floyd album. There are other 5/5 records in their discography (or another one, according to my silly ratings), but Animals has an emotional appeal to me that is head and shoulders above the rest. I like the concept, I like the sound and I like the songs. Dogs is probably my favorite Pink Floyd song, as it contains a little of everything that I enjoy in the band. Great guitars, the fierce lyrics and the imagery. Case in point:

And after a while, you can work on points for style
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
So that when they turn their backs on you
You'll get the chance to put the knife in

Bonus points for a great album cover, too. The factory photo, but also the general bleakness of the lyrics, makes me think of this record as a soundtrack to an Antonioni film. Red Desert, for example.

Also, no saxophones.

Last edited:
I saw Gilmour yesterday. Fantastic show. It's stunning that he's almost 70 years old. Great atmosphere at the Roman amphitheatre in Pula, pretty good choice of songs and a good crowd.

Anyone heard the new Gilmour album? Let me spare you the trouble. You know it's bad when the best song is a Frank Sinatra pastiche about ballroom dancing.

I’ve been a Pink Floyd fan for more than half of my life now. I’m 27, and man, so much of my formative years were spent with Dark Side, Animals, WYWH, Meddle, The Wall. But I haven’t really listened to Floyd for years, much like U2 et al, I’ve found other music. So while DSOTM probably still remains my all-time favourite album, I very, very rarely listen to it. Ditto most of Floyd. So in the lead-up to this gig (alongside my busy life) I hadn’t really listened to them. Today I did, I played Comfortably Numb a few times over, Dark Side, Animals. Looked up the setlist, holy shit, incredible. Picked up my dad and went in to the show. Started to get really excited but was feeling weird, too, as shouldn’t this be on the same level as the likes of U2 or Radiohead or Outkast? It was a bit surreal, maybe, because I didn’t think I’d ever get to hear ALL of these songs live. There’s 18 fucking Floyd songs in the setlist, including essentially all of DSOTM, The Wall’s hits, two from WYWH and two (of three) from Animals. Roger Waters may be 74 years old but damn does him and his band (who obviously do a huge amount of the heavy lifting) bring it.

Breathe was a stellar way to begin, a song that feels so incredibly familiar. And I was fucking grinning from ear to ear at the fact that they keep all the adlibs in for the DS tracks; I’ve listened to that album god knows how many times and I know it literally back to front. I’m not sure what previous Waters shows have been like, but he has a David Gilmour replacement, like not just guitar but vox as well. He looks the part, long, sleek hair, facial hair. His voice is pretty pedestrian (it doesn’t take a great singer to sing Gilmour’s parts) but he does the job perfectly and it means that the great Roger Waters vocal parts (Dogs outro, Money, Pigs, Comfortably Numb’s harder verses) pack more power because he hasn’t just been singing. One of These Days was fucking awesome, it served as a pseudo On the Run interstitial and it’s obviously way better than that track so it ruled. It’s here I’ll make first mention of the visuals; the screen must be 20 or 30m long and is so fucking clear, and they rolled through a bunch of violent footage as well as shots of the band and visions of space and shit. It was fucking fantastic.

Time / Breathe Reprise is up next and it was fucking stellar, because it’s an amazing song. The only thing bringing it down (and much of the show) was the incredibly staid crowd. That’s not surprising, everyone there was old, and it was seating on the floor, but it still sucks, it absolutely sucked what could have made for some amazing atmosphere out of the joint. All the music - those heart-wrenching guitar solos, the backing vocals and those amazing drum lines - were terrific, but Waters took Gilmour’s vocals and the Gilmour replacement took Rick Wright’s verses, which just took some of the magic away, but there’s not much you can do about that. And the transition into Breathe Reprise was fucking heavy. That shit is fucking perfect man. Fucking hell.

Great Gig in the Sky was up next and holy fuck I was I excited for this shit. I will gladly argue this song as being one of the best songs ever with anyone. The entire concept of it being a song about death, and then it’s nearly five minutes of no lyrics, just incredible wailing and singing from Clare Torry. The two women they had on backup vocals took it on, and it was nowhere near as transcendent, but it was still pretty special to witness it live. What a fucking amazing song. Welcome to the Machine was up next and that shit was a serious highlight. Such a fucking savage song and even in 2018 it still sounds fresh and real as I imagine it was way back when. Wasn’t one of the songs I was hugely looking forward to (although I was keen as fuck for all 18 Floyd tracks) but it was a serious highlight - as were most of the actual Waters tracks, as a matter of fact.

He played three tracks off his new solo record next, and they were all great, though nothing especially surprising. Deja Vu is essentially a WYWH rewrite, Last Refugee takes the drum pattern from Five Years, Picture That is classic Floyd blues riffery. All were backed by incredible stage imagery and visuals on the screen of wars, Last Refugee in particular was quite emotional.

Wish You Were Here is Wish You Were Here. One of the best songs ever written. After that the first set closed out with Happiest Days of Our Lives / Brick 2 / Brick 3. I was a bit bummed to not have Brick 1 first, but still, it was a pretty epic way to finish the set. I’ve never been a huge of Brick 2, I think it’s great in the context of The Wall but overrated as an actual song, but it was pretty cute with all the kids coming out on stage and singing and dancing.

Interval, and then second set, which was fucking incredible, words hardly do justice. Emergency sirens blaring as a huge line of screens dropped down into the middle of the arena, which then turned into Battersea Power Station. Then Dogs. Man. Dogs is fucking amazing man. Like it was such a fucking trip to see Dogs, a 17-min prog rock epic, performed in its fucking entirety. The pig made an appearance over the top of the towers and then during the real proggy bit Waters dons a dog mask. Eventually it rolls back around to the fucking last few minutes, where Roger takes over from Gilmour, and man, that fucking outro is just the best shit. AND THEN they launched straight into Pigs, which has always been my least favourite from Animals, cos it gets a bit rote and repetitive, but fuck me dead does that shit come alive in a live setting. That guitar riff is just fucking monstrous, I gotta tell ya. As I’m sure everyone knows the song has remained just as relevant as it was when it was an anti-Thatcher song, except it’s now aimed at Trump, and there were a ton of hilarious images on screen and then during the proggy breakdown a massive blow-up pig started flowing around the arena. Dad was trying to get me sit down as I was shredding guitar solos over the last couple of minutes, fuck off dad.

Money is Money, I’ve never been the biggest fan of the song but it went off. Us and Them was definitely the most poignant moment of the night, backdropped as it was by incredibly real and hard-hitting war imagery, and it’s pretty amazing how the song is as completely relevant as ever, if not even more so. It’s just such a fucking beautiful song and to hear it live, to hear those incredibly passionate latter verses live, was just something else, I can’t tell you, even without Rick Wright singing those incredibly passionate verses. It was a little heartbreaking to not hear it move immediately into Any Colour You Like, but it is what it is, Rick has passed on. Another solo song, which was odd placing - I actually thought Rog could have put a bigger spotlight on his new album, play some songs earlier and not clump them all together, I would have been perfectly happy - and then into ….

… Brain Damage. The moment in DSOTM where the protagonist has completely fallen apart, but it doesn’t matter, lunacy is golden at this point. The fucking pounding drums leading into the two chorus takes is just magic, and to hear it live… man. And then I get a frog stuck right in my throat because we know what Brain Damage leads to…. an Eclipse, with that massive drum-lead in, the adlibs, the background vocals, and then the organ… I’m nearly crying just thinking about it. It’s just such fucking magic. As it came to a conclusion the light show made out a pyramid with the lights and it was just almost too much, it was so perfect.

I sat there holding myself for a while as Roger went into a nice little rant, then introducing the band, then launching into Mother, which is a beautiful song. “Mother did it need to be so high…..”, the heartbreaking close. It was fucking lovely. And then straight into the only song they could have finished with, Comfortably Numb. Roger sounds the same as he always has on the song, and then the Gilmour impostor took on Gilmour’s parts and did a good job, and then floors of lights baking over the arena, it was just fucking beautiful, until we get to that solo, which of course just tore the house down. An incredible way to end an incredible night.

Back
Top Bottom