Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Louder Than Words is excruciating. "Diss each other on sight"? Not even Bono's writing lyrics that bad yet.

I have zero motivation to listen to this. It just seems very unnecessary.

High Hopes was a perfect send-off for the band.

If you're a Pink Floyd completest, then, more than likely, you're gonna wanna have/listen to this album. I haven't heard anything from it yet because it doesn't seem like anything I would rush to purchase. Instrumentals are cool, but if I'm listening in the car, I want something a little more uptempo. :wink:

Hey! I'm new here and Pink Floyd is my other favorite band.

I personally love The Endless River. It surely can't be compared to some of their masterpieces, like The Wall, Dark Side or Animals, but I think that this album is a beautiful ending to an incredible band.
Of course, if you didn't like Marooned, you're probably not going to enjoy Endless River. By that, I don't mean that every track on the album sounds just like Marooned, I just mean that if you don't like instrumental Pink Floyd, Endless River probably won't amaze you.
But I think those new tracks have a kind of magic inside of them. I like the fact that you can really hear Rick's playing on almost every track. It's like a reminder of how unique and incredible he was as a player. This album is a great tribute to him. Like David said, he was a bit like George Harrison, he brought a lot to his band but tended to be a bit in the shadow of David and Roger.

My one listen was enough.

If I want to listen to laid back, ambient post-rock, there are a thousand more engaging bands.

Louder Than Words is excruciating. "Diss each other on sight"? Not even Bono's writing lyrics that bad yet.

:lol: It's true! Those opening lines are atrocious!

I have zero motivation to listen to this. It just seems very unnecessary.

High Hopes was a perfect send-off for the band.

I agree with you. High Hopes was indeed the perfect send off. But this new album is still somewhat interesting to listen to for Rick Wright's work and demos that could've become songs. But I wouldn't call it essential of course.

If you're a Pink Floyd completest, then, more than likely, you're gonna wanna have/listen to this album. I haven't heard anything from it yet because it doesn't seem like anything I would rush to purchase. Instrumentals are cool, but if I'm listening in the car, I want something a little more uptempo. :wink:

Very true! The only place I listen to music anymore is in the car on my way to and from work. #oldman. But this album is a bit too laid back to listen to while driving. Yet I have to do it. That's my me time. :D

I bought this album belatedly (only about 2 weeks or so back). Firstly I was quite impressed with the physical package, the liner notes, the photos, the way the CD is fixed on the back board etc. It was a refreshing change to the lazy horrible liner notes for Songs of Innocence. The album itself is okay. Not terrible. Not particularly great or memorable either. It is not essential but as a lifelong Pink Floyd fan I bought it.

Most memorable track: It's What We Do (track 2), Shine On You Crazy Diamond's long lost cousin.

The opener was also quite nice. And the track just before Louder Than Words was interesting too. Wish Louder Than Words had better lyrics though.

Finally heard Louder Than Words for the first time today. It's alright, not as bad as I was expecting based on some of the comments I've heard/read. I have no immediate compunction to listen to it again soon, but it was ok.

I still haven't heard the whole thing through from start to finish yet, but it seems alright. Nothing I've heard has been "ugh" bad, but nothing "holy shit" good, either.

One thing that does bug me though is that with a decent pair of headphones on, I can hear a pretty drastic difference in sound quality between the stuff recorded in 1993, and the stuff recorded in 2014. There's a different tonal quality to it that's hard to explain, but for me it's pretty easy to tell if a particular guitar or drum part (obviously the keyboards/piano was 93) was recorded new.

I can see how some people would not like that this exists if it's treated like an "official Pink Floyd album" (whatever that means), but I sort of treat it in the same way as I do the Beatles Anthology. Some nice studio outtakes that have been cleaned up, a few fleshed out into full new songs but not really in the official canon of "Pink Floyd albums", IMO. A nice treat for fans/completists but nowhere near essential.

Gilmour has made an announcement stating that Pink Floyd are done...forever. Not exactly a shock to fans of the group, but he just wanted to make it official. While I never caught Floyd with Waters in the lineup, I saw them in '94 at Giants Stadium for their Division Bell tour. I still have my tee shirt from that show and it still fits nicely. That show will forever be one of my most favorite concert experiences ever. Can't believe that was 21 years ago.

Last edited:
I just want to say that Obscured By Clouds is now my third favorite Floyd album after Wish You Were Here and Meddle. I can't stop listening to it

Sorry, haters.

I believe I made my opinion on Obscured by Clouds clear a few threads ago. It's the most underrated of all the Floyd albums, IMO.

I agree with Cobbler, they were done for good once Rick died. I'm thankful we got the Live 8 performance, for me that's the last act of the Floyd (I consider The Endless River to be more along the lines of something like Relics rather than a "true" Pink Floyd album).

I believe I made my opinion on Obscured by Clouds clear a few threads ago. It's the most underrated of all the Floyd albums, IMO.

I agree with Cobbler, they were done for good once Rick died. I'm thankful we got the Live 8 performance, for me that's the last act of the Floyd (I consider The Endless River to be more along the lines of something like Relics rather than a "true" Pink Floyd album).

Gilmour felt the same way. I suppose for any fans holding out hope that PF would continue, David just felt he needed to make an official announcement. I'll never forget being 19 years old and listening to Dark Side in its entirety for the first time. A mind-blowing experience. Us and Them is my favorite track, but for me Dark Side was always one long song.

Obscured by Clouds is pretty good. It's too bad that those songs never really got a shake in a live environment - the band's propensity to play albums in full starting with Dark Side meant that only three songs from OBC ever got played live.

I prefer Obscured By Clouds to The Wall, every day of the week.

I've thought about buying the boxed set. Out of the 6 or so Floyd CDs I have, only 2 are remasters (Meddle and Wish You Were Here), the rest the original releases.

Okay. I was going to say if you don't have Animals (I don't think I've ever heard you talk about it), that needs to be the next move.

You should get Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It's so different from the rest of their albums, but explains their later reference and obsession with Syd.

I also think Atom Heart Mother is hugely underrated!

That said, OBC is very similar in sound and tone to Dark Side, and I know your reverence for that album.

Okay. I was going to say if you don't have Animals (I don't think I've ever heard you talk about it), that needs to be the next move.

Really? Not even in the cdisantis days? It's probably in my top 10 albums. The only thing on the album I have a remote dislike for is the lengthy, repetitive instrumental break that gets quite dirge-y between the second and third verses of Pigs. That song could have some of its fat cut off the top, it's a bit long. The two Pigs on the Wing are utterly lovely, Dogs is one of the band's very best songs, featuring some outstanding guitar work, captivating lyricism, and much the same can be said for Sheep. I also think it might contain the best outros of any album ever. The endings for Dogs, Pigs and Sheep are all fucking incredible, the apocalyptic Waters verse on Dogs, the monstrous solo in Pigs and that sensational galloping riff in Sheep. Tremendous album.

This thread prompted me to revisit Obscured By Clouds. I hadn't listened to it in years and honestly couldn't recall a note. So I gave it a spin yesterday.

... right now I still struggle to recall a note of it.

It was a pleasant enough listening experience, certainly much more enjoyable than tedious shit like The Wall, The Final Cut, or most of AMLOR (I will defend to the death "Sorrow" as one of Pink Floyd's best songs), but the album has never left a mark on me. I wouldn't rank it up with Piper, Atom Heart Mother, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, or Division Bell.

I'm with Liam that Atom Heart Mother is underrated. I don't care much for the overlong title track or the gimmicky brekkie track, but the middle three get to me every time.

It's probably in my top 10 albums. The only thing on the album I have a remote dislike for is the lengthy, repetitive instrumental break that gets quite dirge-y between the second and third verses of Pigs. That song could have some of its fat cut off the top, it's a bit long. The two Pigs on the Wing are utterly lovely, Dogs is one of the band's very best songs, featuring some outstanding guitar work, captivating lyricism, and much the same can be said for Sheep. I also think it might contain the best outros of any album ever. The endings for Dogs, Pigs and Sheep are all fucking incredible, the apocalyptic Waters verse on Dogs, the monstrous solo in Pigs and that sensational galloping riff in Sheep. Tremendous album.

Okay cool, I don't know why I don't remember any of those discussions. But completely agreed about the brilliance of Animals, which is a real challenger to Wish You Were Here for my favorite PF album.

Who was born in a house full of pain
Who trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger only at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Who was dragged down by the stone

One of the best closing parts in music, ever. The drumming, the lurching guitar, Waters' urgent vocals, the brilliant metaphorical lyrics, all of it. God I love it.

The only thing on the album I have a remote dislike for is the lengthy, repetitive instrumental break that gets quite dirge-y between the second and third verses of Pigs. That song could have some of its fat cut off the top, it's a bit long.

Love the rest of your post, but I think this instrumental break is one of the best things about the album. When placed in the context of what the song's actually about (Britain's political system is fucked, in 1977 it was looking likely that Thatcher was going to be elected, and she was going to drag figures like Mary Whitehouse into positions of prominence and it's going to fuck us...which it did) having a big dirge in the middle of a song about the Conservative Party makes sense.

The ending of Dogs is fucking crushing. Amazing. I might go and listen to it now.

I've always loved the ending of Dogs. So epic. Although, and this is a fail on my part, I always thought it was Gilmour singing it.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I don't think that's such a bad fail. They sound quite similar at times. The only reason I know is because during that period I gobbled up everything I could about Pink Floyd. I didn't have friends. So in the myriad of stuff I read I read about Waters taking that verse. I think it works really well, though. Gilmour always had a more appealing, emotional voice, I think, which is why his verses in Dogs carry so much gravitas, but Waters' more acerbic voice is so perfect for that ending. Liam's right, it is totally crushing.

I've come across the remasters on Spotify and listening to other tracks now, like Raving & Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy, which turned into Sheep and Dogs respectively. They're both great but did improve when finally released, in particular lyrically. Also Dogs doesn't feature Gilmour rapping, which is a positive.

Love the rest of your post, but I think this instrumental break is one of the best things about the album. When placed in the context of what the song's actually about (Britain's political system is fucked, in 1977 it was looking likely that Thatcher was going to be elected, and she was going to drag figures like Mary Whitehouse into positions of prominence and it's going to fuck us...which it did) having a big dirge in the middle of a song about the Conservative Party makes sense.

That's a good point. It's not to say I dislike it, though. I love the song, I just think it gets a bit mired and I like Dogs and Sheep better. But it's still like an 8/9 outta 10 song.

Back
Top Bottom