Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
some details on the "new" album

It is not based on The Big Spliff

Only a few seconds of the original Big Spliff (which was created by Andy Jackson) appear.

It does not contain any source from The Soundscape (Pulse Cassette)

Rick Wrights original recording from playing the Organ at The Royal Albert Hall during afternoon rehearsals in June 1969 has been mixed in.

The LP is based on four different pieces each taking a side each.

There is one song with lyrics called "Louder Than Words". This song is concerned with providing a full stop to the Pink Floyd saga, embracing the full history of the band. Gilmour sings ;

We bitch and we fight
But this thing that we do
It's louder than words
The sum of our parts
The beat of our hearts
It's louder than words

It focuses on the more atmospheric and digressive aspects of Pink Floyd and includes snippets of conversation.

Phil Manzanera played a key role throughout the project which started in August 2012 by Gilmour asking him to listen to the jam sessions.

Nick Masons drumming was the first element to be recorded in November 2013.

Gilmour and Mason spent in total 30 days over dubbing guitars and recording drums.

Apparently a very interactive and positive experience with Mason and Gilmour playing together again

Release date is 10th November.

There is much more context in the article, but hopefully this gives you an insight.

Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Two) | Page 36 | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

We bitch and we fight
But this thing that we do
It's louder than words
The sum of our parts
The beat of our hearts
It's louder than words

Waiting for the Pitchfork review that complains about "that one-size-fits-all, vaguely inspirational tone, with a lean approach to details" and says this album is a celebration of self-absorption.

more deets

c53ee4c0.jpg

The Endless River has as its starting point the music that came from the 1993 Division Bell sessions. We listened to over 20 hours of the three of us playing together and selected the music we wanted to work on for the new album. Over the last year we've added new parts, re-recorded others and generally harnessed studio technology to make a 21st century Pink Floyd album. With Rick gone, and with him the chance of ever doing it again, it feels right that these revisited and reworked tracks should be made available as part of our repertoire.

Mason added:
The Endless River is a tribute to Rick. I think this record is a good way of recognizing a lot of what he does and how his playing was at the heart of the Pink Floyd sound. Listening back to the sessions, it really brought home to me what a special player he was.

The record was produced by Gilmour, Phil Manzanera, Martin "Youth" Glover, and Andy Jackson. The tracklist, which you can see below, is divided into four sides to "invoke the album listening experience," according to a press release. It's mostly instrumental, with one song, "Louder Than Words", featuring lyrics by Polly Samson. The cover art is based on a design by Ahmed Emad Eldin, an 18-year old Egyptian artist, and "re-created" by design agency Stylorouge.

Side 1:
01 Things Left Unsaid
02 It’s What We Do
03 Ebb And Flow

Side 2:
04 Sum
05 Skins
06 Unsung
07 Anisina

Side 3:
08 The Lost Art of Conversation
09 On Noodle Street
10 Night Light
11 Allons-y (1)
12 Autumn’68
13 Allons-y (2)
14 Talkin’ Hawkin’

Side 4:
15 Calling
16 Eyes To Pearls
17 Surfacing
18 Louder Than Words

I'll be going into it with tempered expectations. I don't really view it as a new Pink Floyd album.

Excited that there'll be a focus on Rick Wright though. Love everything I've heard of him.

I took the time to write all that and that's your response? :rant:

:lol:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Seems to be the in-thing to do nowadays. It's the facebook generation... always liking or giving a thumbs up for everything instead of actually taking the time to discuss in detail. ;)

As for this latest news, I really like that cover and I'm looking forward to listening to this.

also known as a "joke"

I know your post was probably in jest as well, but it's an annoying mentality. I see way more people my age posting long Facebook statuses about things they're passionate about than older generations. A 19yo mate of mine today posted our new anti-terrorism laws, while my dad has spent the past hour sharing a bunch of videos and photos that are completely lame, totally uninteresting and quite unfunny.

it's a lazy and wrong assumption :shrug:

Yeah I know it's a generalization. But I see it a lot on facebook (and twitter too I'm sure although I wouldn't know because I had no interest in joining twitter). As for older people posting on facebook, I see the opposite sometimes and it amuses me to no end. My mom will post something very long-winded and then reply to it herself with some more info. Then she will add something else that she forgot to that same thread. Nobody else would have even commented up to that point. I tell her if you're on facebook you need to make your updates short. Leave long essays to your blog. But parents, they don't understand. Anyway, I'm a million miles away from the topic so I'll stop.

Who do you guys like more, Pink or Floyd?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference to piss off Cobbler

I think Floyd Mayweather could definitely take Pink in a fight, but she'd probably write a more scathing song about masturbators than he could.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference to piss off Cobbler

The entire album has leaked actually. It's even more boring than Division Bell. Side II is kind of the winner as it has some cool bits in it, even if it cribs from the rest of the band's history.

But again, a lot of easy listening schlock abounds here (which should be unsurprisingly given from when this material was first recorded).

I've also listened, and it's an album Pink Floyd didn't need. Too boring, which as a fact happens when you have a 100% Gilmourish album. We couldn't expect more from Division Bell outtakes.

Division Bell > any Pink Floyd album after Animals.

I wouldn't say TDB is better than The Wall, but with that adjustment I absolutely agree.

I haven't heard any of the clips from the new album yet. I get the sense from what people are saying though that it might be an okay listen once but I doubt it'll be something I listen to again after that. I don't think I'll buy it, although I suspect this is probably more geared to people like my dad, who will buy the most expensive version he can for no other reason than it's "new Pink Floyd".

Back
Top Bottom