Pink Floyd Thread - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2007, 01:33 AM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

I think he's a nice guy who has been unfairly portrayed as a grumpy old bastard in the media. Remember, it always takes more than one person to have a fight.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally posted by hardyharhar
Just read a review by someone who was at the LA show also. Cleared things up. The wall was finished by intermission, and most were thinking that the rest of the show would be played without any sight of the band. That's where my confusion was, didn't remember an intermission.

Thanks for the help Screwtape.
I'm confused. __________________

Old 07-04-2007, 01:34 AM   #272
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
I remember Roger during Nobody Home watching the tv, and Dave on top of the wall during Comfortably Numb. Just don't recall the band in front of the wall after it was constructed. But the wall being as big as it was, maybe it just dwarfed everything else. Probably the point in the first place.

One of my friends who was sitting close to the wall, had bricks falling all around him when the wall was destroyed. He made a stab at hiding one, to take home as a souvenir. Didn't work.

Still one of my all time fav concerts!
You're a lucky bugger, you know that? It's a pity your friend couldn't grab that brick! That would have been quite something to show the grandchildren.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:41 AM   #273
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 07-04-2007, 01:41 AM   #274
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:44 PM
Yeah, it all makes sense now. Why would I remember the little details like that when so much was going on. The wall itself was so imposing, but it made a great movie screen. The animation is the most memorable part for me, especially the hammers. I should get a live version of it.

Another thing I recall was the way the wall was constructed. Stage hands just kept adding bricks as the show went on, generally unnoticed. But every so often, you'd realize how much farther along it was. And before you knew it, there was a massive wall in front of you. That was when the band was out of sight. Just didn't remember it being completed by the half way point of the show.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:44 AM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:

Leaving Beirut! After seeing Roger wag his arse like a dog and rip into his air guitar approximately seven metres away from me, I refuse to buy into the notion that he is a grumpy old bastard. I got a bit of the air guitar! I love Leaving Beirut. Only Roger could get a red state audience to cheer wildly at the Texas education line.

Quote:

Another thing I recall was the way the wall was constructed. Stage hands just kept adding bricks as the show went on, generally unnoticed. But every so often, you'd realize how much farther along it was. And before you knew it, there was a massive wall in front of you. That was when the band was out of sight. Just didn't remember it being completed by the half way point of the show.
Would it be weird for me to say that you're my hero?
Old 07-04-2007, 01:44 AM   #276
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

You're a lucky bugger, you know that? It's a pity your friend couldn't grab that brick! That would have been quite something to show the grandchildren.
Those damn bricks were TOO BIG!

And he said they hurt when they came down, even if they were hollow.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:52 AM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

Exactly.

Sorry Screwtape, I was reading GG's post and thought it was yours (you were the preceding post).

So thanks to GibsonGirl for helping clear things up, and thanks to Screwtape just because.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:55 AM   #278
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Sorry Screwtape, I was reading GG's post and thought it was yours (you were the preceding post).

So thanks to GibsonGirl for helping clear things up, and thanks to Screwtape just because.
That's okay we often get confused for each. Roger Waters and Georgia O'Keeffe are almost identical.

I'll take credit though. I saved a life today...my own.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:56 AM   #279
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Air guitar. However, air violin is better. I love Leaving Beirut. Only Roger could get a red state audience to cheer wildly at the Texas education line.
Yes, his air violin is magnificent. The strains of a Viennese quartet rang out across the land... I love Leaving Beirut too, especially for the Texas education line. I'll never forget standing up for that part (everyone else was sitting down because they were just there for Dark Side, the bastards). Pumped my hand into the air on every word, shouting along. He was standing immediately in front of me, doing the exact same thing. Then expressed his approval afterwards. It was wonderful.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:00 AM   #280
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Those damn bricks were TOO BIG!

And he said they hurt when they came down, even if they were hollow.
Well, they'd have to be! They're keeping out overbearing mothers, sarcastic teachers, cheating wives and raving audiences.

Your friend is also a lucky bugger. Oh, I'd give anything to say I've had cardboard bricks fall on me at a Wall show! Even if they were painful.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:03 AM   #281
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Yes, his air violin is magnificent. The strains of a Viennese quartet rang out across the land... I love Leaving Beirut too, especially for the Texas education line. I'll never forget standing up for that part (everyone else was sitting down because they were just there for Dark Side, the bastards). Pumped my hand into the air on every word, shouting along. He was standing immediately in front of me, doing the exact same thing. Then expressed his approval afterwards. It was wonderful.
Leaving Beirut is one of the great live experiences. Roger must have been moved by your shouting and fist pumping. 'Yes, Canadians hate Bush too!' Seeing Roger play the air violin was a highlight of my life.

I can't believe people where only there for Dark Side. Here in Omaha, the crowd knew the words to every song and were pumped for every single one. Again I wish you could have seen the show here. Weird how a place Roger has never been before would be more into it than a constant stop.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:08 AM   #282
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Leaving Beirut was very good at the last Bowl show also. Maybe playing something new ( as opposed to the Floyd stuff) gave Roger a bit more joy and freedom to let loose.

I gotta say though that I don't understand why people have to sit at concerts. I mean the band is playing their butts off, and these old coots are just sitting there waiting for a particular song. I know a lot of them are OLD, but your not dead yet. GET OFF YOUR ASS!!!!!!!!!

And don't get upset when someone in front of you can't stay in their seat.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:08 AM   #283
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

You're entitled to think that. I must say that I think the whole "dictatorship" thing has been overplayed over the years. Roger didn't kick Rick out just for the hell of it. He (WITH David) asked him to leave because he wasn't contributing anything to the band anymore. Rick has even said as much himself. He didn't bring any material to any sessions, didn't even attempt to contribute to the song writing. And if you think he's a rude, arrogant prick, just read any of the interviews done with him over the past few years. Or just listen to this: http://www.ameinfo.com/110982.html He has nothing but praise for the other band members and has even admitted he was wrong to have gotten into legal battles with Pink Floyd in the late 80s. He's mellowed a lot. I think he's a nice guy who has been unfairly portrayed as a grumpy old bastard in the media. Remember, it always takes more than one person to have a fight.
thanx for the link

great interview
Old 07-04-2007, 02:12 AM   #284
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Leaving Beirut is one of the great live experiences. Roger must have been moved by your shouting and fist pumping. 'Yes, Canadians hate Bush too!' Seeing Roger play the air violin was a highlight of my life.

I can't believe people where only there for Dark Side. Here in Omaha, the crowd knew the words to every song and were pumped for every single one. Again I wish you could have seen the show here. Weird how a place Roger has never been before would be more into it than a constant stop.
Actually makes perfect sense. They're seeing something they've waited a long time for, and letting him know how much they appreciate the opportunity. Thumbs up to Roger for making his way there.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:14 AM   #285
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Actually makes perfect sense. They're seeing something they've waited a long time for, and letting him know how much they appreciate the opportunity. Thumbs up to Roger for making his way there.
Thumbs up indeed. I truly believe Roger will never forget that show.

Tags
pink floyd