Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really enjoy the movie. :up: While I like Bob Geldof's performance, the animation is the best element of the film outside the soundtrack. In fact, I think the movie would have been best as a completed animated film. There are simply too many iconic images to count in the film, though very few in my mind involving Geldof.

The movie really opened my eyes too it. Whilst I disagree there, I can see where you're coming from, the animation in a lot of places (The Trial, Brick 2, Hey You extra) really encapsulates the story.

To end an argument with a mate, would you say the Wall story is a kid who, because of some traumatic childhood events, becomes isolated and decides to cut ties with the outside world, by building a wall around him, and then becomes so disillusioned he imagines himself the leader of a fascist party?

The movie really opened my eyes too it. Whilst I disagree there, I can see where you're coming from, the animation in a lot of places (The Trial, Brick 2, Hey You extra) really encapsulates the story.

To end an argument with a mate, would you say the Wall story is a kid who, because of some traumatic childhood events, becomes isolated and decides to cut ties with the outside world, by building a wall around him, and then becomes so disillusioned he imagines himself the leader of a fascist party?

Sorry for the late reply. :wink:

A lot of it is about interpretation and I agree with everything but the last part. I don't think he imagines it. What I mean is that while he might not have reached the heights of what you see in the movie, I think he lived through that personality. The way I look at The Wall is that as you pull back from the world you can't account for the subconscious things. As the personality of a person descends into themselves, other things come to the surface. In The Wall, those things are represented by war or Nazi symbolism. The victimized are tied to the monster and they become it while the monster becomes the victimized. It is about becoming the very thing that has destroyed you. :up:

I think that this is as good a reason as any to bump this thread:

Why Pink Floyd...?

These reissues look extremely enticing. I'll likely fall prey to at least two of those deluxe box sets.

These look nice, but what if you want the deluxe versions of DSOTM, WYWH, and The Wall and the rest of the remastered albums? Do you then by each album separately, or get the "Discovery" box and end up with two copies of those three albums?

I suppose the Discovery box would be cheaper, and then I could resell the standard versions of DSOTM, WYWH, and The Wall on eBay or something. But kind of a pain.

The big question is what kind of unreleased material are we talking about here. I didn't think there were a lot of leftovers from them. Probably a lot of alternate takes and the like.

Didn't Dark Side just get remastered back in 2003 for the 30th anniversary? Still, this sounds like a cool idea...should be interesting to see what unreleased stuff they're able to dig up.

It looks as though they have live material as a bonus for WYWH, which is something that I have always wanted. The Wall will have demos as bonus material, and Dark Side appears to have some form of alternate mix of the album. I think that the 90s reissues are pretty strong, so I'm only after the bonus material here.

They're not even really trying to disguise this desperate grab for cash.

The absence of a Meddle song from the best-of collection is a shame, but having no representative from Animals is a damn travesty.

The absence of a Meddle song from the best-of collection is a shame, but having no representative from Animals is a damn travesty.

I don't think you can have a "best of" Pink Floyd without it ruining their music. A lot of their best tracks are over five minutes long and the semblance of story is completely lost when you throw the tracks on a compilation.

I'm most baffled by The Great Gig In The Sky being on the best of. If you want to put people off the band, yeah sure, great choice.

I won't hear a bad word about Great Gig. Amazing song.

But then again I do think Dark Side is the best album ever and worthy of every plaudit that has every been bestowed upon it.

Great Gig is one of those very few songs by a band I otherwise like that I have deleted from my iTunes. But I've stated my distaste for that song repeatedly before. Seems ridiculous to have it on the Best Of ahead of so many other songs. I mean, no Astronomy Domine, seriously?

I was pleasantly surprised to see Have A Cigar there, but otherwise ... yeah.

Well, uh, See Emily Play is on it...and uh...I don't dislike any of the others.

Yeah, it's awful.

"ZOMG KIDS THESE DAYS JUST WANT PIXELS AND CARTRIDGES NOT 8 TRACK CASSETTES LET'S GET ON THIS SHIT!" - Nick Mason

I think he has inadvertently made himself look even more out of touch than before. Yeah, packaging will always be important to me to the degree that I would pay a couple extra bucks for it. You don't insert music into kids these days through a USB port, Nick. But nice try.

I think he has inadvertently made himself look even more out of touch than before. Yeah, packaging will always be important to me to the degree that I would pay a couple extra bucks for it. You don't insert music into kids these days through a USB port, Nick. But nice try.

I think that he's half-right in the sense that most Pink Floyd fans are old enough to prefer physical products over downloads. These reissues are almost certainly targeting the demographic that came of age in the 70s, those who might have a standard CD player and some disposable cash.

Pink Floyd | Pink Floyd Reunite At Roger Waters' London Show | Contactmusic

Astronomy Domine
Lucifer Sam
Set the Controls
Cymbaline
Fearless
Echoes
Time
Us and Them
Brain Damage/Eclipse
Shine on You Crazy Diamond (I-V)
Wish You Were Here
Dogs
The Happiest Days of Our Lives / Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2
Comfortably Numb
Run Like Hell
Learning to Fly
High Hopes

That is what a Floyd best of should include.

No mention from anyone on the remasters this past week? They sound pretty damn good to me, much better than the old Shine On box I still have. The local store here was selling each single album for $9 a pop ($18 for doubles) - pretty damn good if you ask me.

Most interesting so far is a sampler being sold by Best Buy. It includes the demo version of Have A Cigar with Waters and Gilmour singing (which will be on the forthcoming mammoth WYWH box set). Great version.

Back
Top Bottom