Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
COBL_04 said:
Hey.

Crazy idea.

But who would dig a PF survior? Clearly there is enough support in this thread to support it, heck there's been 30 people to post in this thread, 369 replies. I just wanted to throw the idea out there cos now im a premmie i wanna do it..

We should do this with the Beatles one almost over. I think enough people have the early albums for it to work. If you are still willing, I think this would be really fun. :up:

I would love to do it, now I'm premium myself. There's been 30 or so repliers in this thread alone so :shrug: They're good fun and I reckon this would be wide open...

Screwtape2 said:

We should do this with the Beatles one almost over. I think enough people have the early albums for it to work. If you are still willing, I think this would be really fun. :up:

:hyper: I'll join.

But dibs on a Radiohead survivor once the PF one ends. :wink:

Well that's if no one has any qualms considering the fact I only own three albums. If so, then someone else can. :sigh::( And how to do all the b-sides.... See Emily Play and all the rest.

B-sides and non-album tracks were their own category for the U2 Survivor. I seeded them all into 5 groups based on my opinion of how well they would do (ie Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me had a much greater chance to do well than, say, Viva Davidoff) and then spread them in to groups of 5 (one song from each of the seed groups), and had the threads choose one from each group. Then, the winners (by now down to about 15 from a group of over 75) all went up against each other as normal until there was one winner of the B-Sides. Then the final round was between all the winners until one was left.

Hopefully that made sense. I'll help you out when you need it. :up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_by_Pink_Floyd

This is actually a much better list, and the "non-album songs" part is much better to include for Survivor. I for one have never heard "One in a Million" or "Reaction in G" (on the first list).

My recommendations for b-sides to use:
"Arnold Layne"
"Candy And A Currant Bun"
"See Emily Play"
"Paintbox"
"Apples And Oranges"
"Julia Dream"
"It Would Be So Nice"
"Point Me At The Sky"
"Careful With That Axe, Eugene" (unless you're doing the live side of Ummagumma, in which case include it there)
"Biding My Time"
"Scream Thy Last Scream"
"Vegetable Man"
"Heart Beat, Pig Meat"
"Come In Number 51, Your Time is Up"
"The Embryo"
"What Shall We Do Now?"
"When the Tigers Broke Free"

Most of the rest, I doubt many people have heard.

Well maybe just all of those in one poll perhaps? :hmm: The only problem with side one of Ummagumma is that live versions may unfairly outrank studio songs.

COBL_04 said:
Well maybe just all of those in one poll perhaps? :hmm: The only problem with side one of Ummagumma is that live versions may unfairly outrank studio songs.

Yeah, one poll. U2's got a lot more non-album songs than Pink Floyd does, and I agree on Ummagumma so CWTAE should be in the B-Sides section (makes that a lot more interesting, too!).

Now get it started, or I will! :wink:

DaveC said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_by_Pink_Floyd

This is actually a much better list, and the "non-album songs" part is much better to include for Survivor. I for one have never heard "One in a Million" or "Reaction in G" (on the first list).

My recommendations for b-sides to use:
"Arnold Layne"
"See Emily Play"
"Paintbox"
"Apples And Oranges"
"Julia Dream"
"It Would Be So Nice"
"Point Me At The Sky"
"Careful With That Axe, Eugene" (unless you're doing the live side of Ummagumma, in which case include it there)
"Biding My Time"
"Scream Thy Last Scream"
"Vegetable Man"
"Heart Beat, Pig Meat"
"The Embryo"
"What Shall We Do Now?"

Most of the rest, I doubt many people have heard.

This is a nice list. The only suggestion I would make is that Scream Thy Last Scream and Vegetable Man were never afforded an official release, nor, I believe, was What Shall We Do Now (except for a live version on Is There Anybody Out There).
By the way, Julia Dream is an absolute gem. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Alright well how's this people:

Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Astronomy Domine
Lucifer Sam
Matilda Mother
Flaming
Pow R. Toc H.
Take up Thy Stethoscope and Walk
Interstellar Overdrive
The Gnome
Chapter 24
The Scarecrow
Bike

A Saucerful of Secrets

Let There Be More Light
Remember a Day
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
Corporal Clegg
A Saucerful of Secrets
See-Saw
Jugband Blues

Music from the Film More

Cirrus Minor
The Nile Song
Crying Song
Up the Khyber
Green is the Colour
Cymbaline
Party Sequence
Main Theme
Ibiza Bar
More Blues
Quicksilver
A Spanish Piece
Dramatic Theme

Ummagumma

Sysyphus
Grantchester Meadows
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
The Narrow Way
The Grand Vizier’s Garden Party

Atom Heart Mother

Atom Heart Mother
If
Summer ‘68
Fat Old Sun
Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast

Meddle

One of These Days
A Pillow of Winds
Fearless
San Tropez
Seamus
Echoes

Obscured by Clouds

Obscured by Clouds
When You’re In
Burning Bridges
The Gold It’s in the…
Wot’s… Uh the Deal
Mudmen
Childhood’s End
Free Four
Stay
Absolutely Curtains

The Dark Side of the Moon

Speak to Me
Breathe
On the Run
Time
The Great Gig in the Sky
Money
Us and Them
Any Colour You Like
Brain Damage
Eclipse

Wish You Were Here

Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts I – V)
Welcome to the Machine
Have a Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI – IX)

Animals

Pigs on the Wing 1
Dogs
Pigs (Three Different Ones)
Sheep
Pigs on the Wing 2

The Wall

In the Flesh?
The Thin Ice
Another Brick in the Wall (Part One)
The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Another Brick in the Wall (Part Two)
Mother
Goodbye Blue Sky
Empty Spaces
Young Lust
One of My Turns
Don’t Leave Me Now
Another Brick in the Wall (Part Three)
Goodbye Cruel World
Hey You
Is There Anybody Out There?
Nobody Home
Vera
Bring the Boys Back Home
Comfortably Numb
The Show Must Go On
In the Flesh
Run Like Hell
Waiting for the Worms
Stop
The Trial
Outside the Wall

The Final Cut

The Post-War Dream
Your Possible Pasts
One of the Few
The Hero’s Return
The Gunner’s Dream
Paranoid Eyes
Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Southampton Dock
The Final Cut
Not Now John
Two Suns in the Sunset

A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Signs of Life
Learning to Fly
The Dogs of Life
One Slip
On the Turning Away
Yet Another Movie
A New Machine (Part One)
Terminal Frost
A New Machine (Part Two)
Sorrow

The Division Bell

Cluster One
What Do You Want From Me
Poles Apart
Marooned
A Great Day For Freedom
Wearing the Inside Out
Take it Back
Coming Back to Life
Keep Talking
Lost for Words
High Hopes

B-Sides and Non-Album Tracks

"Arnold Layne"
"See Emily Play"
"Paintbox"
"Apples And Oranges"
"Julia Dream"
"It Would Be So Nice"
"Point Me At The Sky"
"Careful With That Axe, Eugene"
"Biding My Time"
"Scream Thy Last Scream"
"Vegetable Man"
"Heart Beat, Pig Meat"
"The Embryo"
"What Shall We Do Now?"

If there's anything else, let me know, I'll crank it up once Beatles is all said and done. an announcement thread perhaps?

Is it possible to combine some of the tracks that are intended to complement each other? E.g. Speak to Me and Breathe, Empty Spaces and Young Lust, Southampton Dock and The Final Cut, etc.

cdisantis83 said:
Is it possible to combine some of the tracks that are intended to complement each other? E.g. Speak to Me and Breathe, Empty Spaces and Young Lust, Southampton Dock and The Final Cut, etc.

Speak To Me and Breathe should be together but not Empty Spaces and Young Lust or Southhampton Dock and The Final Cut.

Speak to Me/Breathe will go together I believe. Well I'll put the announcement thread up, however you will all have to wait until Monday for the start I'm afraid. I'm going to Bathurst this weekend. Sorry!

Any comments, questions, quereies etc post them here or in the other thread.

:drool: Love this thread. I've missed it. Anyway, I had a real good listen to The Wall last night, jotted a few thoughts, so have a read, get chatting about The Wall. :yes:

In The Flesh?
Kick ass opener. Awesome guitar, reminds me of Happy Gilmore a bit. Love it, vocals rock. 4

The Thin Ice
The soft vocals and piano mesh well together early, but not much of a fan from "if you should..." to "...the thin ice" however. Good at the end. 3

Another Brick in the Wall pt. 1
Love the vocals, especially that first line. Great music, but it does drag towards the end. 3

The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Good music work, but average otherwise. A very lion king/hakuna matatah ending. Segue to Brick 2 is great. 2.5

Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2
Legendary song with terrific rythym work from Roger and Nick. Restrained solo makes the song. Pudding lines are good too! 4

Mother
Wasn't a big fan at first, but love it now. Great vocals and good acoustics from Mr. Gilmour and support from Rick. Gets better and better. 4

Goodbye Blue Sky
Great song with more great guitar work, thought the change from upbeat to menacing is very sudden. Awesome vocals. 4

Empty Spaces
Cool intro and vocals, but basically just an intro to Young Lust. 2

Young Lust
Like this song, especially the vocals. The start is great. It's very rock 'n' roll. Good music. 3.5

One of My Turns
Is he talking to the girl at the start? Terrific when it finally breaks open. Like the desperation in the vocals. 3.5

Don't Leave Me Now
Cool intro. Quite spooky. Mental problems starting to show? Again, it's great when it finally breaks open. Top job from Rick too. 3.5

Another Brick in the Wall pt. 3
Very heightened emotion and busy. More great vocals. Not much else here though. 3

Goodbye Cruel World
Really just an outro to Brick 3, the necessary closer. Good vocals.1.5

Hey You
Second favourite song. Cool guitar, terrific vocals, gives a great atmosphere. Love this song. Another that gets better and better. More desperation vocals. 5

Is There Anybody Out There?
A very distant song, with good harmonies, the guitar's great, and really sets a mood with Rick in the background. 3

Nobody Home
A fan of the piano coupled with Roger's strong vocals. Great delivery of the "nobody home" lines. 2.5

Vera
I don't get the hate for this song. It's not long enough. The vocals are magnificent, with great backing music. Doesn't anybody else here feel the way I do? 4

Bring the Boys Back Home
Nothing but an interlude really... strong vocals and music. 2

Comfortably Numb
Easily my favourite song. Infuckingcredible. Perfect. Vocals are amazing from both Roger and Dave. The guitar work makes me wet. 'Nuff said. Shame I'd already heard it though. 6

The Show Must Go On
Nice song, though the ooh ma ooh pas throw me off. A few missing lyrics there? Great music. 3

In the Flesh
Better than In The Flesh? I reckon. Same again, terrific guitar with great work all round, especially Nick's fills. Like the vocals and lyrics. A resprise? 4.5

Run Like Hell
If this and Comfortably Numb were Dave's primary inclusions, then I'd be happy cause they're both top five. This song rocks. The guitar is magnificent, and the rythym amazing.4.5

Waiting for the Worms
Another good intro, with some good vocals. The picture crops up in my head. Missing lyrics again? Very despondent, marching guitar. The "Waiting! Waiting!" gets annoying. Good outro. 3.5

Stop
Short, yes, but the piano is good, and some nice vocals. 1.5

The Trial
For such an important part in the story, it's garbage. Hate the vocals. All Roger? It sounds ridiculous in most parts. Silly. Not a fan. 1

Outside the Wall
Nice vocals. Serves the same purpose as Goodbye Cruel World. Kind of like a Her Majesty. Peaceful conclusion. What does it serve to the story? 1

COBL_04 said:
What does it serve to the story?

It sums the whole thing up, my man. The theme of the album is communication, or lack thereof, and the song itself is about how challenging it can be to love somebody to refuses to communicate.

All alone, or in two's,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad bugger's wall.

Great lyrics, and it's a genius closer.

The Wall. :drool: :drool: :drool:

I kind of expected some of your low ratings. Nobody Home, Goodbye Cruel World, The Trial, etc. are not typically songs that grip people initally. It took me years and years to warm up to them. You'll be gripped by them eventually, though. Especially Nobody Home. "I got thirteen channels of shit on the TV to choose from" is the line that everyone loved to sing when that song was performed live. Maybe you'll prefer the RW Live at Berlin version a bit more? Snowy White does some nice soloing at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmHOhaDApEI

(WARNING! DO NOT BUY THIS DVD! Okay, I'm pretty much an admitted Roger Waters freak, and even I think it's a shit DVD overall. The bits where Roger sang on his own and kind of acted out some of the movie scenes - like Nobody Home - are okay. But I'm sorry, YOU DO NOT ALLOW BRYAN ADAMS TO SING ON A PINK FLOYD SONG, YOU JUST DO NOT! I DON'T CARE IF IT WAS FOR CHARITY!)

Now that that I've gotten that off my chest...

Run Like Hell! :drool: (aka RUN LIKE FUCK! at some 1980/81 Floyd shows!) You haven't heard Run Like Hell until you've heard it performed live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYd6mCAcQw8

Note: The video and the audio are from two separate shows, which is why the beginning looks a bit weird. It's amazing how Roger's "do you still like our pig?" from the original audio and "pathetic" from the overdubbed audio match up. :lol:

COBL_04 said:
:applaud: Thanks man. Which song will you be supporting when The Wall comes around?

Thanks for reading (and same to GG as well)!

I'll be supporting Goodbye Blue Sky for as long as it sticks around. Absolutely gorgeous tune, with a powerful message. Very affecting.

Back
Top Bottom