Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*clap clap clap clap clap clap clap*

The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime.

You shuffle in the gloom of the sickroom and talk to yourself as you die.

:drool:

Nah, approximated. :wink:

The only bad thing about Obscured By Clouds is Absolutely Curtains, which is absolutely rubbish.

Ok.... thanks for the Yeshkull site or whatever it's called... I think I've finally figured out how to use it... I downloaded a program called Bit Comet, and then I just opened the torrent file that I downloaded in Bit Comet, and wait for the thing to finish and then we're all sweet yeah?

Is there any way to get that bloody download/upload square out of my screen? It's pissing me off.

GibsonGirl said:
Nah, approximated. :wink:

The only bad thing about Obscured By Clouds is Absolutely Curtains, which is absolutely rubbish.

It would've fit well with A Momentary Lapse of Talent.

I just were in Cambridge! And I walked by a church and the bells started to ring and I heard that it was the bells from the song High Hopes from The Division Bell! It must have been o_O 'cause it sounded exactly the same.. You know, the bells that are in the beginning before the piano starts ..you can also hear birds ect.. Anyway, it was very cool! :yes:

Well I read that Wall info thing you posted Steph. Very informative! :up: I was amazed at how much thought was put into it... it's very sophisticated. I also liked how the concept basically grew out of Roger Waters being pissed off with the fans at concerts. What's the movie like? Recommended?

And also did Dave, Nick or Rick have any forefront role whatsoever in the making of this album?

COBL_04 said:
Well I read that Wall info thing you posted Steph. Very informative! :up: I was amazed at how much thought was put into it... it's very sophisticated. I also liked how the concept basically grew out of Roger Waters being pissed off with the fans at concerts. What's the movie like? Recommended?

And also did Dave, Nick or Rick have any forefront role whatsoever in the making of this album?

Glad you read it. :) I agree, it's very informative. Hehe, Roger getting pissed off at the audience... I have the bootleg of that very show. It's worth a listen. As for the movie, I think it's great - weird as hell, but still great. It's the kind of movie that you either love or you hate. There is very little dialogue. The songs do the talking. You might not want to watch it when the parents are home, though. :wink:

Dave co-wrote the music on a few songs: Young Lust, Run Like Hell, and Comfortably Numb. Other than that, The Wall is all Roger, with the exception of The Trial (music co-written by Bob Ezrin, the producer).

Yeah no offence to the Roger fans here, but just reading it all it sounds like Roger was being a bit of prick during the whole process... I mean they were offered $2 mil to do a show in Philly, and they all wanted to do it apart from him! :confused: i mean I understand him not wanting to go back to the whole stadium thing again, but like the article said, they couldn't cater to all the fans who really wanted to see the show.

If you like Pink Floyd, try this record, there are also a cover of Syd Barrett's song Golden hair on the song. They also did a cover if his Lone Gone on a´nother record.

The-Shamen-Drop-55341.jpg

COBL_04 said:
Yeah no offence to the Roger fans here, but just reading it all it sounds like Roger was being a bit of prick during the whole process... I mean they were offered $2 mil to do a show in Philly, and they all wanted to do it apart from him! :confused: i mean I understand him not wanting to go back to the whole stadium thing again, but like the article said, they couldn't cater to all the fans who really wanted to see the show.

a big stadium show , actually , roger had bad memories about animals tour , i guess

and he changed his mind in 1990
:)

COBL_04 said:

Well, The Wall is an attack on stadium rock. It would be a little pointless to go out with the message 'stadium shows are terrible and turn people into raving fascists!' while you're...performing in a stadium. I mean, sure, a lot of fans would have missed out. But if performing in Philadelphia would have meant compromising the whole point of the tour, what would have been the use? They all would have been a lot richer, but they also would have been hypocrites.

The Wall live in Berlin was a whole other kettle of fish. Different message, different motivations. Plus, the proceeds went to charity.

Well I guess you can't really argue with that, lol. I guess it just shows Roger really was the main force behind the idea, considering he was the only one who didn't want to do it.

I'm so excited to get it, but I'm going to have to wait...

Got this from a source of mine, so I thought I'd pass it along. Don't know if anyone is interested...

Special one time screenings of

THE PINK FLOYD AND SYD BARRETT STORY

“Reveals how the Barrett legacy looms large over the band that left him behind... the film includes a treasure trove of footage from the relatively well known to the impossibly rare.” - MOJO Magazine

at VARIOUS LOCATIONS THROUGHOUT THE US

SAN FRANCISCO - Double Feature "The Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett Story" and "All My Loving"
Roxie New College Film Center - 3117 16th Street - San Francisco, CA 94103
Monday, September 17th @ 9pm
$5 Admission

HOUSTON - Double Feature "The Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett Story" and "All My Loving"
Studio Movie Grill - 8580 Hwy 6 North - Houston, TX 77095
Monday, September 17th @ 7:45pm
FREE TO THE PUBLIC

NEW YORK CITY
Southpaw - 125 Fifth Ave - Brooklyn, NY 11217
Tuesday, September 18th @ 9pm - Doors @ 8
FREE TO THE PUBLIC - 21+

PHILADELPHIA
The Khyber – 56 South 2nd Street - Philadelphia, PA 19106
Monday, September 24th @ 8pm
FREE TO THE PUBLIC - 21+

Man I love this thread. :drool:

Absolutely adoring Wish You Were Here at the moment. Both Shine On's are magnificent, WTTM is strange but great, Have a Cigar just has this aura to it which just rocks, and of course the title track is one of the best songs ever.

Considering getting either The Wall, Revolver or Rubber Soul tomorrow. All around the same price.

COBL_04 said:
Considering getting either The Wall, Revolver or Rubber Soul tomorrow. All around the same price.

Revolver :drool:

All three are magnificent albums though. You can't go wrong.

You have found a damn good deal on The Wall if its price is comparable to Rubber Soul.
I love how this thread refuses to be silenced. :up: Dave's live DVD is only a few weeks away as well, including a version of Comfortably Numb that features David Bowie on Roger's vocals. :hyper:

cdisantis83 said:
You have found a damn good deal on The Wall if its price is comparable to Rubber Soul.
I love how this thread refuses to be silenced. :up: Dave's live DVD is only a few weeks away as well, including a version of Comfortably Numb that features David Bowie on Roger's vocals. :hyper:

:combust:

They could break into a song from Labyrinth and I'd still buy it.

xaviMF22 said:

I created it :cool:

:bow:

And yeah, I think The Wall was about $32, Revolver was $26. Getting ripped off for Revolver, I know, but there's nowhere else I can get it. I actually had a double CD set of Heroes/Low for $14 in my hands for about 10 minutes, but I bought GTA San Andreas instead :D

COBL_04 said:

Rubber Soul>Revolver >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Wall

Two stone-cold classics, versus one good record. I think you could probably get RS and Revolver together for roughly the same price as The Wall, so do that if at all possible. If you can't, I'll just say that my favorite of the three is Rubber Soul. :shrug:

Well y'see I was gunna buy Revolver today, but lately I've been on a massive Floyd/Bowie kick, and I"m not sure if I can go back into the Beatles just yet.

Do you have Meddle or Animals yet? I would take either of those over the Wall. :yes:

If you do decide on the Wall, I must warn you; it is a VERY challenging and intense record. It scared the hell out of me when I first heard it. Roger is just a madman throughout (as he should be, considering the character he's playing), but it really is a fascinating work in spite of all this. There are a clutch of PF classics, and the most of the second-tier songs are good as well. The plot is never less than gripping, and you will sit up and take notice; it's not background music.

Give it about a month before reviewing it, is all I'm saying. :wink:

Hmm... :hmm: Interesting points you raise. Well I suppose The Wall is a bit of a change from the Floyd that I've got so far. I think I'll go for Meddle. I think my collection's going to stop at five though, with Dark Side, WYWH, Meddle, Animals and The Wall. Maaaaybe Piper.

Back
Top Bottom