Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GibsonGirl said:
I'm sure WYWH will grow on you more as time goes on, COBL. Each song is a 10 for me. I agree with you that parts VI-IX of Shine On are better than the first five. It's a little more rocking, the synth is wonderful, and the flanger on the bass is great. Plus, Rick plays a little bit of See Emily Play at the very end. No better way to close out a song dedicated to Syd.

I don't see anything inventive or creative about guitar in Welcome To The Machine, though. It's mainly just simple acoustic chords. The real stars of Welcome To The Machine are the synthesisers. That synth solo at the end is brilliant.

SydAbbeyRd75-1.jpg

A picture someone took of him at Abbey Road during that very session. :sigh: There's an indepth account of it in Nick's book. It's tough to read.

My top five:

1. Sheep
2. The Final Cut
3. Dogs
4. The Gunner's Dream
5. In The Flesh

The first two are stable, but the next three change periodically.

Oh my god :ohmy: That's a horrible picture....

And yes it's the acoustic guitar throughout the album which is awesome.

It's The Wall next for me. :tongue: Also, if anyone gets the time, could you recommend a site for info of the corresponding tour or write some info? I'm very intrigued.

COBL_04 said:

It's The Wall next for me. :tongue: Also, if anyone gets the time, could you recommend a site for info of the corresponding tour or write some info? I'm very intrigued.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

You'll probably want to find out more about the concept of The Wall than the tour, to start out with. If you understand the concept, the album will make that much more sense to you once you finally get your hands on it. Knowing the concept (hopefully) will also make you appreciate the so-called "throw away" songs on the album. People who don't understand The Wall claim there's filler on it that could have been done away with, but that "filler" is extremely important in context of the story.

Concept and its origins: http://www.dprp.net/proghistory/index.php?i=1979_011
The tour: http://www.dprp.net/proghistory/index.php?i=1979_013

I'm jealous. :sad: I wish I could be hearing The Wall for the first time!

britannia.jpg

"Would you like to see Britannia rule again, my friend?"

The Wall has reverse filler. Three good songs filling in the gaps where they couldn't think of any crap.

I cannot comprehend how the same band that made the brilliance of Animals and WYWH then plopped out The Wall.

Yes, Stephanie, I know you're now booking a trip to Melbourne to kill me.

So I take it that means you're rowing rather than flying to Melbourne to kill me? :wink:

COBL_04 said:

And as a last note, what's everyone's five favourite Pink Floyd songs? I haven't heard many, but mine are:

Nice to see this thread active again!

1. Comfortably Numb
2. Shine On 1-5
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Time/Breathe Reprise
5. One of These Days

I am also pleased with the appreciation being shown for "The Final Cut" and "The Gunner's Dream," two of the most agonizingly beautiful songs in Floyd's diverse catalogue.

I picked up the Nick Mason book, Inside Out: A Personal History Of Pink Floyd a few weeks ago. I think I'll crack it open tonight for a change of pace from Harry Potter. It looks to be a great read, kind of in the same vein as U2 by U2.

My top 5 Floyd songs:

1. Sheep
2. Comfortably Numb
3. Time
4. Mother
5. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun

I just downloaded a so-called "entire catalogue", so I'll have to familiarize myself with some of their older and newer stuff still. :huh:

COBL_04 said:
And as a last note, what's everyone's five favourite Pink Floyd songs?

1. Summer '68
2. Sorrow
3. Have A Cigar
4. Shine On You Crazy Diamond I-V
5. Cymbaline (or Sheep, I can't decide)

Wow you are a legend Steph. :bow: Loving this band more than ever now.

And I think that's why some people like to see me talk about stuff that's new to me but old for everyone else, because it gives them a chance to remember hearing it for the first time :)

:hyper:

Btw, does The Wall have liner notes and lyrics?

COBL_04 you like Pink Floyd as well? :D don't take this a funny way, but i'm liking you more and more! Speaking of The Wall, I've always reccomended the live version they ended up releasing a few years ago! I've met loads of people who were at those concerts in 1980/81 and can't help being a little envious!! :)

I bought that live one before the original album because for some reason the nice book/box set was a hell of a lot cheaper than the original. I think The Wall is definitely a weak album on the whole with it's fair share of filler but live it's outstanding and trust me you will not find a better version of Run Like Hell, the original doesn't even come close. :wink: I think hearing The Wall live [on CD anyway...] before the album just made me find the original really dull and uninspiring where the live one just sounded "HUGE" if you get me! A lot more exciting anyway.

NOW my favourite 5 Floyd songs - numbers 1-3 are pretty solid but the other two could change whenever i feel like it...

1. Sheep
2. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pts. 1-9)
3. Arnold Layne (listening now as I type, nothing beats it...except maybe the two songs listed above :wink:)
4. Money
5. Set The Controls For The Heart of The Sun (Live [from the ummagumma live disc])

Last edited:
OH, ALSO...!!

I think here is a perfect place to ask if anybody has the Animals concert from Oakland? I've been looking everywhere for this on-and-off for a while and since I don't use P2P programs because I want my computer to WORK it's a little difficult! :( and I haven't found a torrent either.

Ever since reading about the Animals tour a couple of years back I've wanted to hear one of these concerts! If there's one tour I could have seen Pink Floyd on besides the Dark Side of the Moon it would probably have been that one!

Animals [possibly my favourite Floyd album] and Wish You Were Here both played back to back [:drool: drool-worthy in itself even if Animals is played in a funny running order] followed by Money and Us and Them on most occassions and in the case of the Oakland concert, the last ever performance of Careful With That Axe Eugene!

If anybody here has that bootleg or knows of anywhere I could get it I would be eternally grateful as I'm still dying to hear it!!

Here you go, gareth: http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1140 (you'll have to register before you can start downloading)

Enjoy it! Speaking of that tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-tumi1y7-Q :drool: Maybe you've already seen it, but it never hurts to see it again. I'd give up my first born child for a pro-shot DVD of any '77 show. :(

COBL, there's definitely liners for The Wall. My father's ancient CD copy that came out long before the remaster had a nice booklet, complete with drawings by Gerald Scarfe. There's probably even more in the booklet for the remastered version. I don't have the remaster yet, so I don't know. I just hope they haven't gotten rid of the lyrics for What Shall We Do Now in the newer pressings!

maro_chick, that book of Nick's is great. He has such a good sense of humour. It gets a bit dull when he gets into the nitty gritty details about touring, but that's it. The first two paragraphs of chapter one always make me laugh.

thank you SO much, GibsonGirl...if you ever need someone to do something humble and worshipping like kiss your feet or something then by all means gimme a yell :wink: seriously though, thanks very much i really appreciate it!

gareth brown said:
COBL_04 you like Pink Floyd as well? :D don't take this a funny way, but i'm liking you more and more!

:) :D Thanks very much! It's been a good year for me on here. At the start of the year I said I wanted to get into more music, and I was going to start by buying the classic albums. So I bought Dark Side and absolutely LOVED it and still do. It's my third favourite album behind AB and JT, which is saying something.

Steph- :bow:

Originally posted by GibsonGirl maro_chick, that book of Nick's is great. He has such a good sense of humour. It gets a bit dull when he gets into the nitty gritty details about touring, but that's it. The first two paragraphs of chapter one always make me laugh.

Many of Nick's comments in the book remind me of Edge in U2 By U2, very self-deprecating in an intelligent way.
And the photo of Rick playing a horn to a group of cows is absolutely priceless.

COBL_04 said:

And as a last note, what's everyone's five favourite Pink Floyd songs? I haven't heard many, but mine are:

1. Sheep
2. The Happiest Days of Our Lives / Another Brick on the Wall, Pt. 2
3. Money
4. Brain Damage
5. Comfortably Numb

1. Pow R Toc H
2. Vegetable Man
3. A New Machine II
4. Absolutely Curtains
5. The Grand Vizer's Garden Party III

just kidding...

Probably something like...

1. High Hopes
2. Comfortably Numb
3. Time/Breathe reprise
4. Dogs
5. Wish You Were Here

Zootlesque said:

:combust:

Also...

Any Colour You Like :drool:
Us And Them :drool:

...And Marooned, possibly the single best moment of the post-Waters years. Other severely underappreciated songs in the Floyd catalogue are Cirrus Minor and Julia Dream, although I may have already mentioned these earlier in the thread.

I have a soft spot for Biding My Time. Very underappreciated song. Those last three minutes are just great.

Back
Top Bottom