Phoenix - Bankrupt!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy to say that the album is very good. More or less what you would expect, maybe a touch darker in spots, but definitely in the same vein as the last album. The weak spot is the crappy North/Love Like A Sunset wannabe title track, but everything after that is great. Drakkar Noir is insanely catchy, basically the next Too Young, only with a slower, Toro Y Moi-inspired groove.

For now:

1. Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
2. It's Never Been Like That
3. Bankrupt!
4. United
5. Alphabetical

Happy to say that the album is very good. More or less what you would expect, maybe a touch darker in spots, but definitely in the same vein as the last album. The weak spot is the crappy North/Love Like A Sunset wannabe title track, but everything after that is great. Drakkar Noir is insanely catchy, basically the next Too Young, only with a slower, Toro Y Moi-inspired groove.

For now:

1. Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
2. It's Never Been Like That
3. Bankrupt!
4. United
5. Alphabetical

Wait? Has it leaked! Must. Scour. Internet.

Yeah, on atease someone hinted at there being a flac too.

I'm fine with transcode until it's out, I'm probably only going to hear it one more time before its release, if that.

Correction, 71 bonus tracks.

11374473_10151510126044433_1833128878_n.jpg

I don't mind a few demos as bonus tracks, but I don't need all that clogging up my iTunes library. Plus I'm about to hit the iTunes Match 25K tracks cap; I'm currently at 21,200 or so.

Apparently there's a limit to how much bonus content I want, because I see that and I'm just like, "no." :|

I don't mind a few demos as bonus tracks, but I don't need all that clogging up my iTunes library. Plus I'm about to hit the iTunes Match 25K tracks cap; I'm currently at 21,200 or so.

There's a limit to how much music you can have in iTunes? :huh:

This didn't do much for me :( Maybe I'm just not in the right mood, but I found some of the synths and vocals aggressively annoying, the lyrics pretty crappy. The title track doesn't need to go for two minutes, let alone seven. Aside from Entertainment, SOS in Bel Air (save for the cantcrossthelinebutcantstoptrying bits), Trying To Be Cool and Bourgeois are pretty good. Hopefully it grows on me.

You didn't even mention Drakkar Noir cobl? :tsk:

TILL I DIE. TILL I DIE. TILL I DIE.

Best hook of the album.

I'm loving Drakkar Noir and Trying to Be Cool. They took those lush keyboards that have always been prominent in their sound and added some riffs that could have fit into Oracular Spectacular.

Which is probably a good thing, because like LeMel said, there's some derivative work going on (Drakkar Noir = Too Young with a new riff, and the title track = a cringe-worthy reworking of Love Like a Sunset). Maybe Bankrupt! refers to diminishing musical ideas... Just kidding, kinda.

I'm looking forward to hearing how this stuff works out live next weekend. Been wanting to see these guys for a while. :hyper:

If you think that, you need to listen to Alphabetical again.

Except nobody needs to hear that album again.

If you think that, you need to listen to Alphabetical again.

Except nobody needs to hear that album again.

I don't need to listen to it because I do all the time, and it's a superior, more sophisticated album. Just because it's their mellowest doesn't mean it's the worst.

Everything Is Everything, Run Run Run, Love For Granted, Victim Of The Crime, You Can Blame It On Anybody, If It's Not With You, Holding On Together.

Bankrupt doesn't have that many good tracks.

Finally picked this up. It's a really, really good album with the exception of the slow, plodding, boring, way-too-long, forgettable title track.

Well that was enjoyable, even the new songs. Confirmed for the fest too.

I'm liking the album. I'm glad it doesn't have a long, boring song like the last few albums. Their strength is definitely writing short songs with great hooks.

Fleur De Lys and Ti Amo are my two favorites at the moment. I think the album suffers a bit from a weak abum. The last two songs don't stick with me which negatively impacts my impression of the album when I'm finished listening.

I agree the penultimate track Via Veneto is one of the weaker ones, but I really enjoy the closer Telefono. It reads very personal to me, knowing that singer Thomas Mars is married to director Sofia Coppola and that they are occasionally separated while he is touring or she is off shooting a film. The spoken verses sound like a long-distance conversation, and I think the chorus is lovely and catchy with "I cannot sleep while you're wide awake".

Back
Top Bottom