Phantogram - Voices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking forward to their Aussie tour later this month. "Nothing But Trouble", "Black Out Days", and "Howling at the Moon" are great songs.

Why they let the guy sing sometimes baffles me though.

This is still one of my favorite albums of the year and I can't wait to see them live. I've been pushing this band since their debut dropped but for whatever reason keep missing them.

Yeah I remember you persuading me to check out Eyelid Movies not long after it came out. Honestly not all that much stuck with me outside of "Mouthful of Diamonds", which is a killer song and enough to keep me interested for the next album. Worth it, because Voices really is a massive step ahead.

Agreed. Same with Chvrches

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Chvrches live earlier this year and "Under the Tide" was actually rather good - especially since it was almost tone deaf the first time I saw them perform it in 2013. I kind of appreciate their logic in that they don't want to be seen as another "cute chick + anonymous producer(s)" outfit, especially as both of the men of Chvrches are long established musicians, but if you're going to let the guys to sing, make sure they can hold their own compared to your main awesome vocalist. (I reckon they really add something on "Now Is Not the Time" and similar tracks where they do backing vocals, but shouldn't do lead.)

As for Phantogram, the guy's not that bad, but he lacks the charisma or the vocal talent of the woman. Every time he sings, I just think "this song would be better if he wasn't singing it".

I don't mind her, but if she sang something like "Never Going Home" the song wouldn't have nearly the emotional impact it does with him on it.

After the awesomeness of the first three tracks, I usually just skip "Never Going Home" and go straight to "Howling at the Moon".

I just listened to the album and realised I'd forgotten how good "My Only Friend" is as a closer.

And "Never Going Home" is one of my favorite songs of the year, I mean, "different strokes" and all.

They only played for 30 minutes and 7 songs today, but it was a brilliant show anyway. They sounded great. Mouthful of Diamonds rivaled the album version and I was pleasantly surprised by how well Fall in Love came across despite the complexity of its arrangement. I'm definitely seeing them at their own show the second they come back.

Great show in Melbourne last night. Setlist:

Nothing But Trouble
Running From the Cops
As Far as I Can See
Black Out Days
Turning Into Stone
Bad Dreams
Don't Move
The Day You Died
Bill Murray
I Don't Blame You
Fall in Love
Howling at the Moon
When I'm Small

Encore:
Mouthful of Diamonds
Celebrating Nothing

Damn does Sarah Barthel bring it live. The crowd seemed a bit flat initially but by "Black Out Days" she had everyone going really well and the whole set just felt effortless - when they finished, they'd been on for about 90 minutes but it felt like only half that. I wish I'd listened to the Nightlife EP before, because the two tracks from it were real standouts. Ending the main set with "Howling at the Moon" and "When I'm Small" was just about perfect.

Great show in Melbourne last night. Setlist:

Nothing But Trouble
Running From the Cops
As Far as I Can See
Black Out Days
Turning Into Stone
Bad Dreams
Don't Move
The Day You Died
Bill Murray
I Don't Blame You
Fall in Love
Howling at the Moon
When I'm Small

Encore:
Mouthful of Diamonds
Celebrating Nothing

Damn does Sarah Barthel bring it live. The crowd seemed a bit flat initially but by "Black Out Days" she had everyone going really well and the whole set just felt effortless - when they finished, they'd been on for about 90 minutes but it felt like only half that. I wish I'd listened to the Nightlife EP before, because the two tracks from it were real standouts. Ending the main set with "Howling at the Moon" and "When I'm Small" was just about perfect.

:up:glad you had a great time.. She kicks ass live.. Can't wait for the shows here in Oct.!

Back
Top Bottom