Pearl Jam: Ten remaster on March 24th 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Well, I've always been saying that U2 should take some lessons for their relationship towards fans from Pearl Jam, especially regarding setlists and live performances, but it looks to me they could learn a lot from the remasters as well.

Pearl Jam's famous 1991 debut Ten is being remastered, remixed and reissued in March 2009. It will have 4 different editions, all of which you can read in detail here:

https://www.pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-announces-reissue-band’s-debut-album-ten

Almost everything that the fans wished for years is here: the original album is being remastered, but the 2nd disc will include (along with some bonus tracks that had been fan favourites for a long time - "Brother", for example) a remixed Brendan O'Brien version for all of those who complained about the album's admittedly dated production.

Their legendary MTV Unplugged performance will be released in the Deluxe Edition as an extra DVD..

For true hardcore fans there is a pricy Super Deluxe Edition with all of the above mentioned supplements on CDs and LPs, with an extra audio concert on 2 LPs plus the original Momma-Son demo cassette reissued (their first three demos). And that's not all, just check the link.

Now imagine next year an Achtung Baby remaster in a similar vein... :drool:

Their legendary MTV Unplugged performance will be released in the Deluxe Edition as an extra DVD..

:drool::drool::drool:

Wow. That right there is reason enough to buy this. Best Unplugged performance ever, including the definitive live versions of State of Love and Trust and Black.

I'll definitely be buying this, and will probably spring for the Deluxe Edition to get my hands on those original Mamasan tapes. My TEN cd is old and scratched to shit anyway from playing it so much so this is perfect timing.

I love this band.

but it looks to me they could learn a lot from the remasters as well.

In what way?

What does this remaster have that the JT remaster not have?

And if U2 had released 4 different versions, people would be bitching about money grab...

That being said, I'm looking forward to it... but I don't see anything that U2 should be looking to PJ for...

Well, I've always been saying that U2 should take some lessons for their relationship towards fans from Pearl Jam, especially regarding setlists and live performances, but it looks to me they could learn a lot from the remasters as well.

How? Why the dig on U2? If anything, I think that U2's remaster campaign is also an example of a very good remaster campaign.

That Super Deluxe Edition looks very tempting... apart from the $190 price tag! :shocked: (that's $140 for the boxset and $50 shipping)

Just noticed two more things. Included in the Super Deluxe package is a "Recreation of Eddie Vedder composition notebook" :drool:. A glimpse into the mind of a genius.

Also, the bonus tracks listed are “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat.”

"Breath and a Scream" is obviously an early version of the classic "Breath", but I have never heard of "2,000 Mile Blues" or "Evil Little Goat"

Never-before-heard Pearl Jam songs! Fucking sweet. Christmas come early.

In what way?

What does this remaster have that the JT remaster not have?

And if U2 had released 4 different versions, people would be bitching about money grab...

That being said, I'm looking forward to it... but I don't see anything that U2 should be looking to PJ for...

Oh, don't get me wrong, JT remaster was amazing. I was thinking about the Boy/October/War ones - War was especially embarrassing, with the 2nd disc being a collection of New Year's Day/Two Hearts Beat As One remixes.

About the U2/Pearl Jam comparison - how about setlist variaton, official bootlegs, longer performances? If U2 had these factors, I would be a happy bloke.

The difference between this and U2 is what makes the Pearl Jam version better: the alternate mixes for dated production.

oh great, another setlist variation argument...

Just tell me you wouldn't want U2 play on their next tour 90% of their discography. Yes, for a band its size that's not realistic, but I'm guessing every single member of Interference would spontaneously combust if U2 would play Acrobat, Love is Blindness, Dirty Day, Drowning Man, Exit, Ultra Violet, Your Blue Room, Mofo, God Part II and so many other hidden gems.

One can look forward to possibly hearing almost every single Pearl Jam song on any given concert of theirs.

Like I said, in U2's case - not realistic, but I can't see harm to a bit more variation in the setlists.

Sticking to the topic, there's a "Evil Little Goat" demo here: YouTube - Pearl Jam - Mookie Blaylock Demo - Goat

I believe the "2,000 Mile Blues" track never surfaced before, and I'm still not sure if "Breath" and "State of Love and Trust" are indeed demos.

Oh, don't get me wrong, JT remaster was amazing. I was thinking about the Boy/October/War ones - War was especially embarrassing, with the 2nd disc being a collection of New Year's Day/Two Hearts Beat As One remixes.

So how will the remaster be of Binaural or Riot Act? Or of Vitalogy? Five alternate versions of Stupid Mop?
:|

the 2nd disc will include (along with some bonus tracks that had been fan favourites for a long time - "Brother", for example) a remixed Brendan O'Brien version for all of those who complained about the album's admittedly dated production.

YES!! When I first saw this thread title I was actually going to say "no thanks, unless they remix the album, preferrably with Brendan O'Brien".

To me, the production is what prevents this album from being the classic everyone thinks it is. Rick Parashar=:no:

Fantastic news.

How about a new PJ album??? Asking too much I suppose.

I'm more interested in that right there!

Remastered set is good and all but I just don't have the money to buy the same album again. I haven't even bought the U2 or REMurmur remasters yet! :(

How about a new PJ album??? Asking too much I suppose.

I'll be very surprised if we don't get a new PJ studio album by the end of 2009. The band has been kicking around ideas already and are scheduled to enter the studio in the first few months of the new year.

I'll be very surprised if we don't get a new PJ studio album by the end of 2009. The band has been kicking around ideas already and are scheduled to enter the studio in the first few months of the new year.

:hyper:

There's no need to rant about Republicans anymore so I wonder what Vedder has cooking. :wink:

Well you can't compare the 80-84 era of U2 with Pearl Jam in 91. They didn't have Unplugged, recording was a lot more expensive relatively speaking back then, and not every show was being recorded, so of course PJ would have more to offer in a deluxe package.

About the U2/Pearl Jam comparison - how about setlist variaton, official bootlegs, longer performances? If U2 had these factors, I would be a happy bloke.
Well this isn't what you said, so let's keep it to the remaster discussion.

1: i loved the JT remastered deluxe edition
2: the only u2 remaster i din't care for was the 2nd WAR disc.
3: i love TEN. dated sound? how the fuck is an album recorded in the 90's supposed to sound? like a 90's album right?
4: quit bitching/arguing.

To me, the production is what prevents this album from being the classic everyone thinks it is. Rick Parashar=:no:

Fantastic news.

It be really nice to see them back with Brendan O'Brien. I feel like the albums since he left have been missing something.

I agree on both counts. :up: Personally, I've always felt that the album production was dated...right from the moment it was released! This is fantastic, as you say, and will likely strip the the songs back to the way they've translated live. If I had to sum up the original production technique, it would be 'overly echoey.'

Be careful what you wish for... U2 remixed songs off of Pop because of a dated feel and look what we got.

I don't think U2 remixed those songs because of a dated feel. I think they remixed them because they thought that enough people thought they were too 'out there'.

What they failed to realize is that 5 years later, most people didn't give a shit anymore, and most who liked the originals weren't very impressed.

Back
Top Bottom