Pearl Jam Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ummm, yeah, what do you want to know about it? Very, very early PJ song, recorded when the band first got together, during the Ten sessions. I think the story goes that McCready was just messing around with that guitar riff and Eddie improvised the lyrics and melody on the spot. And that's pretty much how it was recorded. It's the B-side to Jeremy, too.

And then, obviously, it's become their signature concert closer.

oh i was just interested in the lyrics, and how it was improvised on the spot and no one, not even Eddie, knows the lyrics.

at the time of the concert i think i'd have preferred Betterman as a closer but now i think Yellow Ledbetter was pretty amazing.

oh i was just interested in the lyrics, and how it was improvised on the spot and no one, not even Eddie, knows the lyrics.

at the time of the concert i think i'd have preferred Betterman as a closer but now i think Yellow Ledbetter was pretty amazing.

I can't imagine Better Man being a successful closer. The crowd interaction is huge on that one and the crowd would be hungry for more after. As an opener it had worked a couple of times.

Here's what Eddie had to say about Yellow Ledbetter on one of his solo concerts (taken from twofeetthick.com):

"Getting back to the Q&A, Ed asks for another question and one fan’s asks “What are the lyrics to ‘Yellow Ledbetter’?”. The crowd roars in approval and Ed says “Wait … you mean there’s lyrics?” He then proceeds to tell the story surrounding the lyrics, saying it was written around the time of the Gulf War when “Papa Bush” was President. He knew an “alternative-looking” friend from Seattle who received a “yellow letter” when his brother died in the war. Ed was walking with this friend and there was a flag hanging from a porch on a house along the road. When the friend acknowledged the flag patriotically, the people seemed to not reciprocate his homage (”but they don’t wave”) because of his appearance."

indeed :hi5:

what do you think about the possibilities of fenway park?

Rumors are my Garden May 17 & 18 and your Garden May 20 & 21.

I don't really want to see them play Fenway, have seen Bruce and the $tone$ there, just not a good concert venue, though I assume 10club would have me down front anyway, so it wouldn't be too bad. Doubt they would sell out the place 2 nights.

We should have info around lunchtime.

we'll see... maybe i can do the 20th and try to squeeze out another date elsewhere.

Maybe you can squeeze a Saturday night in Hartford in:

The Schedule:

DATE CITY VENUE PRE-SALE DATE/TIME
May 3rd Kansas City, MO Sprint Center March 15, 9am PDT
May 4th St. Louis, MO Scottrade Center March 15, 11am PDT
May 6th Columbus, OH Nationwide Arena March 15, 1pm PDT
May 7th Noblesville, IN Verizon Wireless Music Center March 15, 3pm PDT
May 9th Cleveland, OH Quicken Loans Arena March 17, 9am PDT
May 10th Buffalo, NY HSBC Arena March 17, 11am PDT
May 13th Bristow, VA Jiffy Lube Live March 17, 1pm PDT
May 15th Hartford, CT XL Center March 17, 3pm PDT
May 17th Boston, MA TD Garden March 16, 9am PDT
May 18th TBD TBD TBD
May 20th New York, NY Madison Square Garden March 16, 12pm PDT
May 21st New York, NY Madison Square Garden March 16, 3pm PDT

I assume the 18th is just a rollover TDGarden date that won't get put up till the 17th sells out.
Shouldn't be a problem for PJ in Boston, but promoters are being a tad more cautious these days.

i think i'm probably just gonna skip out on the yankees/mets game and do both MSG shows, assuming i can get tickets to both, of course.

i don't see anything listed as far as pricing goes...

The TM page for Boston (which has since disappeared) listed tix @ $74.50.
I'd assume a pair of 10c at MSG to go for around $170-$180.

When they bypassed NYC last fall, I knew they'd be back for more in the spring. :wink: Fortunately they are doing it before the U2 frenzy begins again. Of course, I will be trying for one of the two MSG shows. :hyper:

No Chicago. Damn.

Says good things for a potential Lolla spot though; if they skip Chicago now, they could make up for it in the summer (they're less likely to front a festival in a given city if they've already played a glut of shows there). :up: Those rumors have been circulating for a bit.

Rumors for Soundgarden at Lolla have been much stronger than the PJ ones, and I really doubt both of the bands will play at the same festival, since Matt Cameron is only a human being after all, despite the evidence to the contrary.

The TM page for Boston (which has since disappeared) listed tix @ $74.50.
I'd assume a pair of 10c at MSG to go for around $170-$180.

well... i suppose that's what tax refunds are for.

MSG pre-sales are always a cluster fuck... hopefully they've increased their server capabilities.

my work's internet better be running smoothly come next week...

I need to go back and read the EV thread. There were some tips there from Hewson regarding system strategies for the presales. I know they worked well for me then. I'm already nervous. :crack:

ETA: Don't forget PJ on SNL tomorrow!!

Last edited:
Glad DC gets a show, but NHL playoffs mean the PJ show has to be at the crappy Bristow, VA venue.

Back
Top Bottom