Pearl Jam Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree, Backspacer works well in spurts, 1-3, 4-6, 7-10, 11 is more like EV's Into The Wild and the tone kind of seems out of place for the upbeat album (not that I dislike the song). Whereas Avocado works pretty well all the way through, there's still variety there and it's not entirely cohesive but with the exception of Big Wave I think it flows nicely.

Tight. I'd like to see them come out and rock Gonna See My Friend.

Wouldn't be surprised if they do The Fixer and Just Breathe, though. Still would be tight.

Neat, I think I'll wait for a video of it... I suffered through SNL for U2, I can't do it again this year.

I think I'd have to go with either Release or Indifference as my fave PJ album closer. Probably Indifference. All Those Yesterdays is very nice, as well.

Agreed on all 3 of those, but IJ is such a gorgeous song, and it's unlike any of their other closers.

I think I'd have to go with either Release or Indifference as my fave PJ album closer. Probably Indifference. All Those Yesterdays is very nice, as well.

Can't recall a band having so many utterly amazing closers as Pearl Jam. Well, Radiohead can be a slightly distant second. U2 would be a competition if they existed only between Joshua and Pop.

Indifference > All or None > Parting Ways > Release > Inside Job > All Those Yesterdays > The End > Around the Bend :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

I won't count the bullshit that is Stupid Mop, but if we counted Immortality as a closer to an unbelievable above mentioned set of songs, it would be cum-inducing. So better not.

And yeah, the last two songs on Avocado make that album. My favorite post-No Code record of theirs.

U2 - Is That All, 40, MLK, MOTD, AIWIY, LIB, TW, WUDM, and COL are all amazing.

I like most of these songs, but I wouldn't call the closers from the first four albums or Cedars "amazing". Solid to very good tracks, but nowhere near the greatness that the Joshua-Pop timeline offered.

The only PJ closer that I would find less than amazing is Around the Bend (the WTF of Stupid Mop ignored again).

I've got one thing to say for you Matt Cameron:How to f**k do you give priority for a reunion tour with Soundgarden over touring with a new album with your number one employer?

I don't get that at all,Matt.

I've got one thing to say for you Matt Cameron:How to f**k do you give priority for a reunion tour with Soundgarden over touring with a new album with your number one employer?

I don't get that at all,Matt.

Has he said he's given priority to the Soundgarden reunion over PJ?

I haven't seen that, and I only know of maybe one or two confirmed dates for Soundgarden thus far...

Have I missed something?

Plus, SG was his first real break, I would think there's some history there.

I like most of these songs, but I wouldn't call the closers from the first four albums or Cedars "amazing". Solid to very good tracks, but nowhere near the greatness that the Joshua-Pop timeline offered.

The only PJ closer that I would find less than amazing is Around the Bend (the WTF of Stupid Mop ignored again).

40 is always among my top U2 songs ever, I respect your opinion, but definitely disagree.

Has he said he's given priority to the Soundgarden reunion over PJ?

I haven't seen that, and I only know of maybe one or two confirmed dates for Soundgarden thus far...

Have I missed something?

Plus, SG was his first real break, I would think there's some history there.

Only rumours so far, so take this with grain of salt, but I've heard that Soundgarden may have postponed their planned European tour during the summer since Cameron has his obligations with Pearl Jam. It has been reported by various media that Soundgarden might play Lollapalooza in August. So, nothing substantial and all speculation regarding a Soundgarden tour at this point.

40 is always among my top U2 songs ever, I respect your opinion, but definitely disagree.

I agree with the disagreeing part. :)
Closers like Cedars Of Lebanon, MLK and, yes, even Grace are amazing and equal to (or even better) than closers of the Joshua Tree - Pop period. I mean, I'm not a very big fan of Mothers Of The Disappeared, so I would consider the three songs mentioned even better closers.

That said, PJ's closers are pretty amazing too (with some exceptions, just like U2).

U2 definitely has a trend amongst their closers for mellow, yearning and spiritual, and I like it.

listened to the boot from the Melbourne concert today. it's fucking brilliant from start to finish.

can anyone tell me more about Yellow Ledbetter?

Ummm, yeah, what do you want to know about it? Very, very early PJ song, recorded when the band first got together, during the Ten sessions. I think the story goes that McCready was just messing around with that guitar riff and Eddie improvised the lyrics and melody on the spot. And that's pretty much how it was recorded. It's the B-side to Jeremy, too.

And then, obviously, it's become their signature concert closer.

Back
Top Bottom