Pearl Jam Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dude... Amongst The Waves! It's basically Pearl Jam pretending to be U2 or something. My favourite song on the album and possibly a new entry in my personal PJ Top 20 or even 10. :wink:

:drool:

If someone were to say this might be their best album, I wouldn't disagree.

Well, I finally found a TARGET store and got the Pearl Jam album! I know some artist have had a major boost in sales by releasing their new album exclusively through Walmart, but I'm wondering if Pearl Jam's decision to release it just through Target was the right decision. A back and front poster above one of the walk ways with a display and albums on the walk way was all there was to promote it.

Album sounds fantastic!

Gave the new album a couple of goes, and I have to say it's pretty disappointing. I have a hard time seeing where you guys are coming from. The music is generally uninteresting, and the lyrics are downright cheesy sometimes. It's just not as deep and satisfying as their best stuff (pretty much everything except for Riot Act).

I just finished my collection by getting Binaural and Riot Act. Binaural has to be one of the most underrated albums in history. Breakerfall, Insignificance, and Grievance are hard rockers with lots of finesse, fantastic guitar work and great melodies. Of A Girl is hypnotic, Parting Ways is a hauntingly beautiful closer, and one of their few love songs. And Sleight of Hand is one of their greatest ever songs in my book, their Moment of Surrender. One of their bleakest too. A shame that this album doesn't seem to get the love it deserves.

Well, I finally found a TARGET store and got the Pearl Jam album! I know some artist have had a major boost in sales by releasing their new album exclusively through Walmart, but I'm wondering if Pearl Jam's decision to release it just through Target was the right decision. A back and front poster above one of the walk ways with a display and albums on the walk way was all there was to promote it.

Album sounds fantastic!

the decision to go with Target was because PJ has no label, thus has no distribution contract, and thus Target was the only "big box" retailer whom they could work with, as apparently Walmart and Best Buy are moraly reprehensable, where as Target only clubs the baby seals that trespass onto it's property.

the decision to go with Target was because PJ has no label, thus has no distribution contract, and thus Target was the only "big box" retailer whom they could work with, as apparently Walmart and Best Buy are moraly reprehensable, where as Target only clubs the baby seals that trespass onto it's property.

Plus, I believe Target also allowed Pearl Jam to distribute its album through (select) indie stores. So if there isn't a Target near, maybe your local indie record store will have it.

I have to say, Binaural is just getting better with repeated spins. Rival is turning out to be a grower, as is Soon Forget. Vedder's lyrics are brilliant - poetic and original. All from a guy that barely finished high school. I'm also firmly convinced that Insignificance is one of their greatest ever songs. The album has a subtlety and texture all their pre-No Code albums, as brilliant as they are, lack.

I'm interested in knowing how people feel about ST now. I remember there was a lot of love for that album on this forum when it originally came out. I still think it's fantastic - great writing, lyrics, and performances. I'd go so far as to put it ahead of Yield, which although great, is too bare-bones and lacks cohesiveness, as well as killer tunes (aside from Evolution). I dunno. Waddaya all thunk? Whatever, this band rulez.

So is EWBTCIAST one of your fav PJ songs? :wink:

I'm assuming ST is "Self-Titled" as well. And I have to say, while it may not be as easy a listen, I think I prefer it to the new album. It hits higher peaks for me, even if it's less consistent. I still think Unemployable is the best thing they've recorded this decade (in a perfect world it would have been the next Corduroy). And Inside Job isn't far behind.

The Avocado album is still my favorite post-No Code album, although some of the tracks like Unemployable, Gone and Inside Job didn't stand the test of time. Come Back is a classic on the other hand, and Life Wasted and Severed Hand are some of their finest rockers. I like it much better than Backspacer, which is still a bit of a disappointment, although it has its moments as well.

ST is indeed self-titled. I'm interested, why do people see it as less consistent? I'd actually say that Backspacer is the abum with some absolute duds: Johnny Guitar and Just Breathe come to mind immediately. Some others ain't too far behind.

Off of ST (to hell with you, Headache), Big Wave is the only one that comes to mind for me, and it's still a tight, well-written song with a furious solo and great band dynamics. And I sometimes skip past Marker in the Sand.

Overall, though, I think that Avocado has a great flow - there's some sort of a story being told in the album, right from Life Wasted to Come Back to Inside Job, and in this respect it surpasses even Yield, which doesn't have the same cohesiveness. There, I said it.

Parachutes is far more of a dud than Johnny Guitar could ever be.

I like both albums. Frankly I'm more likely to skip a song (especially the aforementioned Parachutes) on Self Avocado than Backspacer, but I think both are solid on the whole.

I've never referred to 2006's Pearl Jam album as self titled. I've always referred to it simply as Pearl Jam.

I was one of those people that didn't know what "ST" was.

ST is indeed self-titled. I'm interested, why do people see it as less consistent? I'd actually say that Backspacer is the abum with some absolute duds: Johnny Guitar and Just Breathe come to mind immediately. Some others ain't too far behind.

Off of ST (to hell with you, Headache), Big Wave is the only one that comes to mind for me, and it's still a tight, well-written song with a furious solo and great band dynamics. And I sometimes skip past Marker in the Sand.

Overall, though, I think that Avocado has a great flow - there's some sort of a story being told in the album, right from Life Wasted to Come Back to Inside Job, and in this respect it surpasses even Yield, which doesn't have the same cohesiveness. There, I said it.

Agreed on Avocado, but thoroughly disagreed on Just Breathe, and slightly less so on Johnny Guitar. JB might be my favorite Backspacer track, its definitely my favorite slower song on there.

Bitchin' set, Philly night one:

Set List: Corduroy, Whipping, Hail Hail, Supersonic, Dissident, Unthought Known, Faithfull, Parachutes, Unemployable, Immortality, Green Disease, Not For You/Modern Girl (Sleater Kinney), Rival, Nothingman, Ghost, Do The Evolution, Why Go

1st encore: Bee Girl, Just Breathe with string quartet, The End with string quartet, All Those Yesterdays, State Of Love And Trust, Mankind, The Fixer, Go

2nd encore: Daughter, Love, Reign O're Me (Townshend), Black, Leash, Rearviewmirror, Rockin' In The Free World (Young)

First performances of Ghost, Rival and Mankind since the Mansfield "no repeats"-experiment in 2003. Not to mention rare appearances of gems like Immortality, All Those Yesterdays and Nothingman. Pretty amazing setlist for the first night.

Eddie announced they'll try to play every single song they know how to play in these 4 nights in Philadelphia (until 2am Saturday :drool:), at the soon-to-be-closed Spectrum Arena. They have to top supposedly spectacular Springsteen shows at the same venue last week. It'll be quite a challenge.

Friggin Philly is gonna end up topping my 3 Mansfield shows for legendary status.

I read that security is on call till 2AM Saturday night, that could be the most epic rock concert evah if they play anywhere near that late.

The madness continues... Philly night two:

Set List: Animal, All Night, World Wide Suicide, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, I Am Mine, Johnny Guitar, Nothing As It Seems, Gone, Evacuation, Even Flow, Come Back (intro only), No Way, 1/2 Full, Down w/Mike Ness (vocals) & Jonny "2 Bags" Wickersham (guitar), Wishlist, Grievance, Given To Fly, The Fixer, Save You

1st encore: Just Breathe w/string quartet, Lukin w/string quartet, Speed Of Sound, Push Me, Pull Me, Garden, Blood

2nd encore: Last Kiss (Cochran), Wasted Reprise, Better Man/Save It For Later (Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling), The Real Me (Townshend), Porch, Yellow Ledbetter/Little Wing (Hendrix)

Only The Fixer and Just Breathe were repeated from the 1st night. First full band live performance of Speed of Sound. 3rd performance of Push Me Pull Me ever (first time since 1998). Garden :drool: And No Way makes another rare appearance! The only nitpick I have is that they fucked up Come Back and skipped it altogether after the intro.

I would sell my limbs to attend these shows. Imagine if U2 did this.

Back
Top Bottom