Pearl Jam Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm having mixed reactions about those 30-second clips, looks there is going to be a lot of country and poppy influences on the record, of which I am not a fan, but glad to see they're still trying some new stuff. On the other hand, all points to Amongst the Waves being a massive song. Can't wait to hear that one.

Country and pop? I didn't hear that :scratch:

That's too bad, NSW. Here's the set:

Hard To Imagine, Corduroy, In My Tree, Last Exit, All Night, Nothingman, The Fixer, Even Flow, Present Tense, Whipping, Not For You/(Modern Girl), Daughter/(Another Brick In The Wall part 2), Brother, Gone, Got Some, Do The Evolution, Alive

1st encore: No More, Comatose, Grievance, Black, The Real Me, Porch

2nd encore: Wasted Reprise, Better Man/(Save It For Later), Crazy Mary, State Of Love And Trust, Fuckin' Up, Yellow Ledbetter/(Star Spangled Banner)

I'd have really liked to have heard:

In My Tree
Last Exit
Black
State of Love and Trust

But I've heard them all before, so there's that.

Gaffer, love the Avatar.

Country and pop? I didn't hear that :scratch:

Country and poppy influences, not flat-out country and pop. Different thing. The former being related to Speed of Sound arrangement, Just Breathe vocal delivery, the latter to The Fixer and Supersonic in general.

I'd have really liked to have heard:

In My Tree
Last Exit
Black
State of Love and Trust

But I've heard them all before, so there's that.

Gaffer, love the Avatar.

Corduroy and In My Tree back-to-back would have put me over the top, as I'm pretty sure those are my two favorite PJ tracks, even if the former is overplayed.

Plus, Present Tense? :drool: Any time No Code gets some play is a good thing, and a shame it doesn't get more. I mean, fuck, does Ten get like four songs at every show? It's not their fucking Joshua Cock, at least in terms of quality.

I had heard Corduroy the night before, so I was cool on that front. In My Tree is good stuff, and agreed on No Code.

Dissident is my favorite PJ track. Followed by Undone.

But are we not agreed on Ten? That it's overplayed, arguably their weakest album and one of the most overrated of the 90's?

For a band that's so against the mainstream/status quo, they're sure loyal to the hits.

But are we not agreed on Ten? That it's overplayed, arguably their weakest album and one of the most overrated of the 90's?

For a band that's so against the mainstream/status quo, they're sure loyal to the hits.

I like Ten. Do I need to hear Alive every show? No, but, I also don't cringe or sit down like I do during One or Pride.

I like Ten. Do I need to hear Alive every show? No, but, I also don't cringe or sit down like I do during One or Pride.

I think Alive is a great song. Many of them are fun. But Evenflow doesn't need to be played at every show either.

Also, Won > any of PJ's staples. Come on. Even if you're tired of it.

I'm with you on In the Name of Cock, though.

Probably just keeping the casual fans happy. Plus some of the tunes take on new life live, McCready is apt to make Evenflow a memorable 8 miunte jam on any given night. Same for Porch.

Dear Pearl Jam officianados,

I admittedly am a fair weather fan at best (the exact type who is hoping they'll play the type of songs the rest of you have been saying you're sick of :reject: ), and thus only have their first two albums. I'd at least like to be somewhat more prepared for the concert in regards to being more familiar with songs they'll be playing. Should I get the "best of"? Worth it, not worth it?

Dear Pearl Jam officianados,

I admittedly am a fair weather fan at best (the exact type who is hoping they'll play the type of songs the rest of you have been saying you're sick of :reject: ), and thus only have their first two albums. I'd at least like to be somewhat more prepared for the concert in regards to being more familiar with songs they'll be playing. Should I get the "best of"? Worth it, not worth it?

I'd say it's worth it, it's more of a "best of", rather than a "greatest hits" and has a handful of non-album gems.

Best ofs are for suckers. If I were you I would just go to a little used CD store and buy all the albums that you don't have.

Vitalogy
No Code
Yield
Binaural
Riot Act
Lost Dogs
Self-titled

They're all damn good.

Come into the light.

GAF, I normally would agree with you, but I'm really fair weather with these guys. I've actually heard pretty much all of their albums in their entirety at one point or another, as I have a friend who's a fanatic, and I'd still never picked any of them up. Maybe once I see them in concert, I'll do a complete 180 on them, but for now I kinda just would like some sort of overview of "favorites" that I may have missed or just never owned. Would you agree with BVS that the best of is pretty solid for that sort of thing, or do you hate it with all of your heart?

Also, please rephrase your answer to include some sort of obscene comment and/or mockery.

It is a solid compilation. 33 songs, so it's nice and lengthy...and it's split into two discs...an "Up" side and a "Down" side, the former being the faster, heavier guitar PJ and the latter being the slower, softer, more acousticy PJ.

Another thing to be said about it is that it contains 6 tracks that don't appear on any of the studio albums, some that you've heard I'm sure...the cover of Last Kiss, I Got ID, Yellow Ledbetter, Man of the Hour (which you already :heart: and rightfully so), and the absolute must have early 90's classics State of Love and Trust and Breath.

So, yeah. Go for it. And then buy all the albums after your mind explodes at the concert.

Best ofs are for suckers.

Not too long ago, someone bumped a very old thread so they could call me pretentious (or arrogant, I forget) for saying "I don't do greatest hits albums".

It was funny.

I'd say Vs. would be the best entry-level PJ, followed maybe by No Code for diversity's sake.

Not too long ago, someone bumped a very old thread so they could call me pretentious (or arrogant, I forget) for saying "I don't do greatest hits albums".

It was funny.

I'd say Vs. would be the best entry-level PJ, followed maybe by No Code for diversity's sake.

How unfair....you're pretentious and arrogant, but not because of that.

After about 6 or 7 spins of the "Speed of Sound" demo, it just now finally clicked for me. Will be a gorgeous track on the album, for sure. :up:

Outside Lands festival:

August 28, 2009 San Francisco, California, Outside Lands Festival

Set List: Why Go, Animal, Severed Hand, Corduroy, Low Light, The Fixer, In My Tree, Small Town, Even Flow, Got Some, I Am Mine, Given To Fly, MFC, Down, Black, Save You, Do The Evolution, Go

1st encore: Wasted Reprise, Better Man, Daughter, The Real Me (Townshend), Crazy Mary (Williams), Alive

2nd encore: Throw Your Hatred Down (Young), Rockin' In The Free World-(Young)

It was funny.

Twas probably me.

Sad to hear that that Ben Harper hack is supporting Pearl Jam at the gig I'm going to, I'm a tad disappointed, I find his stuff a bore.

Can't see PJ selling out a 60,000 capacity stadium down here. Should be interesting to see what size crowd they pull, particularly when they are unable to become the commercial heavyweights they used to be. We'll see how well The Fixer does on the charts and on mainstream radio.

Back
Top Bottom