Pearl Jam Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, unfortunately, i feel the same way. maybe i'm just falling out of love with PJ, but this song just feels "same old, same old" to me. :(

Although this song is hardly original, it's pretty much a new territory for Pearl Jam. How many upbeat simple pop songs they have in their catalogue? I can hear a bit of Unemployable or U in it, but the former was more melancholic than this one. Anyway, not a fan, it will be fun live but it doesn't go anywhere and that fade out doesn't help matters.

Unthought Known and The End from the Eddie solo concerts sound very interesting on the other hand. A bit too "Into the Wild" for my tastes (which was a nice record, but expecting something heavier from PJ), but I can't wait to see what the band does with it; it has enormous potential. And Got Some studio should rock.

I'm a fan of The Fixer, I love Eddie's message and the pop sensibility of it. Also, I played it for my group of casual PJ fan friends this past weekend and they all loved it and we were rockin out to it all weekend...making up different words to the verse melody and such. So I think it's got a good chance of getting some solid radio play and, dare I say it, being a hit song!

backspacer-cover.JPG

My mind just exploded in a series of 9 colorful illustrations.

:banghead:

What are they doing to me?

I can't get into the first single, I'm hating this artwork, this has never happened to me...
Same here, kind of. I wasn't crazy about the first singles and artwork from the last two albums, but this is definitely the least optimistic I've been about new PJ.

Add me to the list. I'm a huge, long-time fan but the single is meh at best and the artwork does not one thing for me. I'm hoping that my lowered expectations leads to my being pleasantly surprised. Regardless of how good or bad the new album is, though, they're gonna kick-ass at the UC in a few weeks.

Add me to the list. I'm a huge, long-time fan but the single is meh at best and the artwork does not one thing for me. I'm hoping that my lowered expectations leads to my being pleasantly surprised. Regardless of how good or bad the new album is, though, they're gonna kick-ass at the UC in a few weeks.

Ah, don't stress. You are seeing them live and all will be forgiven then. Perhaps in terms of studio albums PJ have hit their limits. They seem to be much more at home on tour, with their crazy varying setlists. That is where they experiment. Unfortunately not a lot of musical experimentation though. The last album (the self titlted one) was a little bit 'auto pilot' in nature; although it does get better near the end. I don't expect a whole lot more from the new album. But when they come to Sydney I will see every show they play. What a treat that will be.

I thought Riot Act was a great album, that for PJ had some different and experimental songs and sounds on it. It was the first album with Boom and that was a nice change too. Would like them to try and experiment a little bit in the studio again; but I don't get upset at them not doing so.

What is with all the negativity? PJ's artwork is all pretty odd, the exception being Ten which is clearly their handiwork. And a lead single being a simple rocker? Who cares, did you write off U2 and NLOTH when Boots came out? Well, a lot of people here did, so I'm not sure why I'm asking. Maybe you're not liking positive PJ?

Anyway, chill.

What is with all the negativity? PJ's artwork is all pretty odd, the exception being Ten which is clearly their handiwork. And a lead single being a simple rocker? Who cares, did you write off U2 and NLOTH when Boots came out? Well, a lot of people here did, so I'm not sure why I'm asking. Maybe you're not liking positive PJ?

Anyway, chill.

It's not that PJ is positive, and it's not that PJ's artwork is odd. I've always liked their artwork and it always seemed to have fit the album, but unless they are doing an album of trippy children's songs I don't see how this will fit, plus I just think it flat out sucks.

As far as the single, their last few singles have been way below par if you ask me, but this one, this one is just embarassing. The only term I can think of to describe the music is generic, we've heard this a thousand times. And Eddie did a much better "laundy list" type of lyric with Wishlist, and there's something quite embarassing about that "gooooOOOOne" vocal approach.

But that being said the demo of "Speed of Sound" sounds gorgeous and it gives me hope.

Gotta agree with ye there BVS, The Fixer is terrible!!!
No where near the standard PJ should hittting!
The Lyrics are so bad! and the melodys are dull, even the music is plain and dull!

I got hope for the album tho, Got Some was incredible!!!!
and I gotta say I like the artwork alot! just take it with a pinch of salt I guess,
Its cool maybe theres no meaning to it, but it still looks great imo.

Anyway, chill.

Or, we can express ourselves in a calm way. I'm not sure anyone is writing the band off, either. Maybe you ought to chill? Yes?

I'm literally saddened by the fact that our NSW doesn't like the new single. But I'll get over it.

Although this song is hardly original, it's pretty much a new territory for Pearl Jam. How many upbeat simple pop songs they have in their catalogue? I can hear a bit of Unemployable or U in it, but the former was more melancholic than this one. Anyway, not a fan, it will be fun live but it doesn't go anywhere and that fade out doesn't help matters.

I initially hated this song, and thought it was pop trash. It seeped in after about 10 listens, however. I can see it being a monster live, with the band extending it and improvising beyond that brutal fade out you mention...Mike could definitely play around with an interesting solo.

Unquestionably, it’s their most upbeat song ever…which makes it intriguing on that level.

I love the album art. :up:

I love Tom Tomorrow and think that cover is a real trip.

God forbid they try something different, and it's a nice break from their usual serious reputation.

I'm all for them trying something different. Most definitely. That does not mean that my ears will immediately love it. Hey, I've given it 2 listens. Maybe I'll like a lot more after hearing in repeatedly once the album is released.

Relax........

Back
Top Bottom