Pearl Jam Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gimme a break. You know the old saying about what happens when you assume.

I sure as shit have a physical copy of Vitalogy...I don't want to speak for powerhour but I think the confusion came because you weren't at all specific when you said that this new cover image looks like Vitalogy.

Now that you told us what you were talking about specifically...you are right. I'm looking at the book right now and the very first image in the whole thing, on the flip side of the "contents" page is a diagram of the human head that is reminiscent of the drawing we saw last night.

Well I did phrase it in a question, and I'm not on Jepoardy. :shrug:

When Vitalogy came out a lot of the promo stuff were the inside diagrams and that first especially, so I've always associated Vitalogy with those images.

I'm assuming some of you don't actually have a physical copy?

Vitalogy was based on a 1920's outdated book on health, life, death, etc... Inside it had diagram sections of the human brain and other body diagrams.

I do have a physical copy, its just been a long time since I've looked at the liner notes. I was also reminded of the interior of Avocado.

i was "meh" on the song as well, largely because the mix was so bad... when you know the song and the mix is bad you can deal with it, when it's the first time you've ever heard the song and you can't even hear the vocals, it makes it tough.

i think it has a lot of potential but i can't judge the song until i hear a clean vocal track.

i was "meh" on the song as well, largely because the mix was so bad... when you know the song and the mix is bad you can deal with it, when it's the first time you've ever heard the song and you can't even hear the vocals, it makes it tough.

i think it has a lot of potential but i can't judge the song until i hear a clean vocal track.

I think that's part of it... Vedder's voice is a big part of my PJ enjoyment and it sounded a little weak and I'm not a big fan of his quicker paced "punk" type of singing.

They said this is the first time they've actually listened to Brendan O'Brien when it comes to creative ideas, apparently they just stick to their guns when he suggests things normally.

i'm not denying that... it's just that the vocal mix was so bad on conan that it's impossible to get a good feel for it.

It really was a bad mix. On the plus side, Mike really stood out. :wink:

I thought it was a good song for the occasion--something fiery and intense to launch a new show. Good song, not ground-breaking from the evidence in this performance. It's a bit too much of a hybrid between Save You and Insignificance to earn that honour...but still, a beautiful hybrid.

Another thing I liked: Eddie seemed to be really into it...he looked like he'd just crawled out of his cave after winter, with an awful lot on his mind.

First night of Eddie's solo tour last night in Albany. Set list -

Walking the Cow, Sometimes, Around The Bend, I am Mine, I'm Open, Man of the Hour, No Ceiling, Guaranteed, Rise, Far Behind, State Trooper, Girl from the North Country, Driftin', You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Soon Forget, You're True, Small Town, NEW Song (Just for Albany), LUKIN, Porch

Encore: Society, Forever Young, Arc, Hard Sun

I'm assuming State Trooper is the Springsteen song. And I guess the "new song" was just a little improv thing that he made up on the spot.

Albany night 2:

June 9, 2009, Albany, NY, Palace Theatre
Ed solo tour - opening: Liam Finn

Set list (unconfirmed): Far Behind, Sometimes, Trouble, Don't Be Shy, I Am Mine, Improv Cover of a New Sonic Youth song, Dead Man, No Ceiling, Guaranteed, Rise, Picture in a Frame, Driftin', Hide Your Love Away, Soon Forget. Growin' Up, Unknown Song, Lukin, Porch

Encore: Albany Song, Society, Throw Your Arms Around Me, Parting Ways, Wishlist, ARC, Hard Sun
ETA: Apparently "Unknown Song" was Bruce's "Open All Night".

Don't know whether I should get into PJ properly. I need a new band. I've got the Rearview Mirror compilation and adore it for the most part. Am much more of a fan of the downside as opposed to the upside.

Thing is, I crave more of the songs like Elderly Woman, Man Of The Hour, Off He Goes, Yellow Ledbetter and Dissident...but actually detest Betterman and would really like to avoid songs like Animal.

Maybe I should just get No Code and go from there....I do like Hail, Hail and Who You Are is rather nice.

Don't know whether I should get into PJ properly. I need a new band. I've got the Rearview Mirror compilation and adore it for the most part. Am much more of a fan of the downside as opposed to the upside.

Thing is, I crave more of the songs like Elderly Woman, Man Of The Hour, Off He Goes, Yellow Ledbetter and Dissident...but actually detest Betterman and would really like to avoid songs like Animal.

Maybe I should just get No Code and go from there....I do like Hail, Hail and Who You Are is rather nice.

You should.

Get No Code and Yield.

Lost Dogs...

start with the stuff that was left off the albums and move on from there.

THE NEW PEARL JAM: HERE’S WHAT TO EXPECT

Four mountain ridges, a canyon, a copious green valley, a steep rock, a jungle, veld - and an almost punchline ending. Pearl Jam’s ninth studio album “Backspacer” is the first one since “Yield” that has been produced by Brendan O’Brien.

See My Friend: Pearl Jam as you expect them today: straight rock, strong lyrics, hands-on and aggressive. Rolling Stone Magazine discussed this in their Feb. 19, 2009 article: One song, a garage-y composition by Vedder, repeats the lyric “see my friends” over Stooges-meet-the-Who power chords and loose, Johnny Thunders-inspired lead guitar from Mike McCready.

Got Some: Also rock, also straight and almost angry but with some distinctive guitar licks by Mike McCready. Track was performed live on Tonight Show With Conan O’Brien June 1, 2009

The Fixer: The first highlight. A tight, almost classic rock tune but clever at the same time. Slightly odd, and with cool vocal melodies and rhythms this track is a mini anthem. Performed for Target commercial shot by Cameron Crowe at The Showbox in Seattle May 29, 2009. Title confirmed by Kelly Curtis in Billboard Magazine article of June 1, 2009

Johnny Guitar: Fortunately not as bland as the title suggests. Also a rocker, but with a remarkable amount of lyrics and sincerity. Grows above average but still a very classical tune.

Just Breathe: The first break and a moment to take some breath. Lovely acoustic ballad. The fingers fly over the fret board, an unobtrusive string arrangement and lyrics about love - mature, wonderful, terrific vocal delivery.

Amongst The Waves: Finally there’s not only pushing forward but in all directions with a song that tries to reach the sky. The positive build-up reminds of “Given To Fly” as well as the fact that you just can’t point at the root of “Amongst The Waves” (Is it the lyrics? guitars? drums?).

Unthought Known: First very climatic, then a passionate mid-tempo rock song. A slightly blurry ending but still more palpable than anything off the last album. Track performed live by Ed Vedder on his 2008 solo tour in New Jersey- August 7, Montreal- August 10, Washington, D.C.- August 16

Supersonic: The obligatory wild song that you can find on every Pearl Jam album since “Vitalogy”. Almost cheerful, driven by Matt Cameron’s fast pace, in the beginning reminiscent of Soundgarden. But Soundgarden were better at creating those angular bundles of energy. Though likely unrelated, the Seattle Supersonics were an NBA basketball team from 1967-2008. The word itself means “faster than the speed of sound”, which coincidentally is the title of the next album track.

Speed Of Sound: Exotic. A strange pop song with a different sound than the rest of the album and its clear-cut production. Still: piano, tingling, suspense…

Force Of Nature: A rock song like a Pearl Jam concert: An innocent beginning, but it grows naturally and expands and has you totally in its grip before you know it.

The End: The second acoustic song and to be taken literally. One of the strongest ballads by the band since a long time, amongst other things because its urgency manifests in Vedder’s vocals. Even the end of the end needs a worthy ending. Track performed live by Ed Vedder on his 2009 solo tour in Philadelphia - June 12, Baltimore-June 14, Nashville- June 18

The magazine lists September 18 as the release date; perhaps this is the European date with September 22 Short album, you say? It doesn’t need to have a long running time to be brilliant. If you had a chance to pickup R.E.M.’s latest release, last years ”Accelerate”, it should help convince you that short, sweet and to the point is sometimes a better way to go -”Accelerate” turned out to be a perfect return to form, and clocks in at 34 minutes with it’s 11 tracks. The new U2, No Line On The Horizon = 11 tracks, 53 minutes. The boys are keeping good company.

source: theskyiscrape.com

Wooooow, guys. I know it's just one dude's scattershot opinions, but those song descriptions sound fucking amazing.

Obligatory drool smilies: :drool::drool::drool:

Also, I guess Eddie has performed a couple of these tracks at his solo shows over the last week or so. Unthought Known and The End, maybe. Speculation abounds. I'm not gonna listen because I assume the sound quality on any recording will be pretty shitty.

EDIT: These infoz were already posted by our very own Tacvbo. I'm an idiot.

Anyone heard The End? It's a beautiful song there's an audience recording somewhere.. is it aloud to post a link if it's not released yet?

See My Friend: KINKS Cover

The Fixer: Elbow Cover

Just Breathe Hybrid of Radiohead and U2/Prodigy song

Unthought Known: Cool title

Supersonic: Oasis Cover

Speed Of Sound: Coldplay cover

Force Of Nature: Oasis cover

The End: Beatles cover

See My Friend: KINKS Cover

The Fixer: Elbow Cover

Just Breathe Hybrid of Radiohead and U2/Prodigy song

Unthought Known: Cool title

Supersonic: Oasis Cover

Speed Of Sound: Coldplay cover

Force Of Nature: Oasis cover

The End: Beatles cover

Haha, good call. I definitely immediately thought of Supersonic and Speed of Sound as being obvious song titles that have been used before. And The End, too, of course. But I totally forgot about Force of Nature. Great unheralded Noel track.

They're also kind of stealing from themselves a bit because they had a song on their previous album with the word "wave" in it. But none of that matters. I seriously cannot wait to hear this shit.

Back
Top Bottom