Pearl Jam Discussion Thread - Page 44 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 AM   #646
45:33

Local Time: 01:30 AM
is Vitalogy considered a masterpiece by many? i can't get into it at all really, though I love Ten and adore Vs.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:07 AM   #647
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:30 PM
If we're talking Pearl Jam fandom, I think it is considered by many to be a masterpiece, yeah. It's my favorite for sure.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #648
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
is Vitalogy considered a masterpiece by many? i can't get into it at all really, though I love Ten and adore Vs.
I feel the very same way, I've always struggled to get into Vitalogy too,
The album is very lackluster to me, with the exception of......

Betterman
Nothing Man
Corduroy
Immortality
Spin The Black Circle.

Its hard to put an album on and listen to it the whole way through when there's tunes like Bugs and Heyfoxymophandlemomma,

I think PJ really lost something after VS, I think I heard before that the death of Kurt had such a big effect on them that they wanted to get out of the limelight and also change the style of the music.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #649
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:30 AM
Vitalogy was PJ's self indulgent record...
Old 02-03-2010, 02:37 AM   #650
45:33

Local Time: 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie269 View Post
I feel the very same way, I've always struggled to get into Vitalogy too,
The album is very lackluster to me, with the exception of......

Betterman
Nothing Man
Corduroy
Immortality
Spin The Black Circle.

Its hard to put an album on and listen to it the whole way through when there's tunes like Bugs and Heyfoxymophandlemomma,

I think PJ really lost something after VS, I think I heard before that the death of Kurt had such a big effect on them that they wanted to get out of the limelight and also change the style of the music.
I like Nothingman and Better Man, but see I think Spin the Black Circle is pretty shit. Just a thrash track.

On your last point, I've only got Ten>Vitalogy and Backspacer, but even if the rest isn't much chop, there's soooo much good on Ten and Vs i won't mind.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #651
Refugee

Quote:
I like Nothingman and Better Man, but see I think Spin the Black Circle is pretty shit. Just a thrash track.

On your last point, I've only got Ten>Vitalogy and Backspacer, but even if the rest isn't much chop, there's soooo much good on Ten and Vs i won't mind.

Yeah its my least favorite of the above, Its an okay track, but underachieving for Pearl Jam,

I think every Pearl Jam album has a few great tracks, except for Ten, VS, and Yield, there great the whole way through!!! you should check out Yield, great album!!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #652
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:30 AM
Quote:

No Code and Yield are both among their best, imo.

Yield is probably my favorite PJ record - "Given To Fly" has been my favorite PJ song in recent months.

No Code isn't talk about as much as it should be. It's a very different vibe from anything else they've ever done. "In My Tree", "Off He Goes", "Who You Are", and "I'm Open" are some of the mellowest, most gorgeous songs in their catalog.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 AM   #653
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
No Code and Yield are both among their best, imo.

Yield is probably my favorite PJ record - "Given To Fly" has been my favorite PJ song in recent months.

No Code isn't talk about as much as it should be. It's a very different vibe from anything else they've ever done. "In My Tree", "Off He Goes", "Who You Are", and "I'm Open" are some of the mellowest, most gorgeous songs in their catalog.
Like all great bands PJ has their different sides, and this is one of their best. Given to Fly, even though it's derivative is still one of my faves, and the others you list are PJ at their best when it comes to the "mellow" side of PJ.

I like all sides of PJ, except maybe their "punk" side, that aspect of PJ bores me.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #654
War Child

loving pearl jam at the minute! have only really discovered them recently though..... ive only got ten, vs, vitalogy and backspacer!! loving them all.... especially vs! can anyone recommend which i should go for next??
oh... and ive got tickets to see them in belfast in july!! living for it!!
Old 02-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #655
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav6519 View Post
loving pearl jam at the minute! have only really discovered them recently though..... ive only got ten, vs, vitalogy and backspacer!! loving them all.... especially vs! can anyone recommend which i should go for next??

I think you should check YIELD out, its one of there best and from the above comments I'm not alone on that, great, great album!!!

Althought I'd say its more like Backspacer than VS or Ten, It has a more mellow, mature sound to it, some great rockers on it too tho,

I've got tickets to PJ in Belfast too!!!! , But just remember its on June 23rd , that would be a terrible way to miss a gig!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #656
War Child

yeah 23rd june i meant to say!! although turning up a month late is like something i would do!!
thanks for the recommendation.... 'yield' is next on my list now!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #657
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:30 PM
Anybody know anything about further US dates? I'd think they'd be touring this year, since their album just came out 6-7 months ago. Or is the Soundgarden reunion tour going to be keeping Matt Cameron too busy? Pearl Jam is one band I have never seen, but really want to. I don't think the album "Pearl Jam" is nearly as bad as everybody makes it out to be. I actually really like it. "Marker in the sand" is probably my favorite PJ song.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #658
Blue Crack Distributor

avacado was very much liked on these boards and held fairly high by the critics, and that's two albums ago, sooooo...

boom said on a radio that they'd be touring in march, they're signed up for a festival in new orleans already, and rumors that their name showed up on a billboard of some sorts outside of an arena in tampa for a show in early april.

i think they're trying to balance the dates between the soundgarden disaster of a reunion tour and the pearl jam tour, so that's the delay.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #659
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav6519 View Post
no code
Old 02-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #660
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
avacado was very much liked on these boards and held fairly high by the critics, and that's two albums ago, sooooo...
I think I still like that one more than Backspacer.

Tags
pearl jam