Pearl Jam Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the coolest thing for me is that I got to see 6 Achtung Baby songs performed at concerts in 2005 and 2009, which is pretty commendable. Butchered no-solo version of Mysterious Ways notwithstanding. Along with The Electric Co. and Running To Stand Still.

On the PJ side of things, I find it interesting that I've seen 6 Binaural songs in 2006 and 2009, since it seems they're neglecting that album more and more as time goes by. Which is pretty ironic, since I think that album gets better and better with time.

But I think I remember those bastards Hewson and Headache saying they were at the show when PJ brought back Leash for the first time in forever. That would have been insane and trumps everything.

Yes we attended that show together.

My PJ show resume is thus:
4/10/94 Boston Garden
4/11/94 Boston Garden
4/12/94 Orpheum Theater Boston
9/28/96 Downing Stadium, Randall's Island NYC
9/15/98 Great Woods, Mansfield MA
9/16/98 Great Woods, Mansfield MA
8/29/00 Tweeter Center, Mansfield MA
8/30/00 Tweeter Center, Mansfield MA
4/29/03 Pepsi Arena, Albany NY
7/02/03 Tweeter Center, Mansfield MA
7/03/03 Tweeter Center, Mansfield MA
7/11/00 Tweeter Center, Mansfield MA
9/28/04 Fleetcenter, Boston
9/29/04 Fleetcenter, Boston
5/13/06 Dodge Music Arena, Hartford CT
5/24/06 TDGarden, Boston
5/25/06 TDGarden, Boston
6/27/08 Dodge Music Center, Hartford CT
6/28/08 Tweeter Center, Mansfield MA
6/30/08 Tweeter Center, Mansfield MA

If you are having a real slow work day Headache, have at it. :wink:

:yes:

n775510933_733497_5485.jpg

Straight up from EdVed's right hand is us, me in green shirt, headache in white.

You've missed the legendary 2nd Randall's Island show? How come? Pffft. :D

The Boston 1994 concerts, all of the Mansfield shows, Hartford 2008... That's impressive. You're a lucky guy, my friend.

As I said earlier, I've seen them three times (Antwerp 2006, Hawaii 2006 when they supported U2 and Rotterdam 2009). And this might also be a rarity for Pearl Jam shows: when I saw them the second time (in Hawaii) every song they played, except 2, they had also played in Antwerp. The only new ones I got were Life Wasted and their cover of Hawaii 78.
And oh, 6 songs were played all those three times (Even Flow, Alive, Small Town, Better Man, Given To Fly and Do The Evolution).

You've missed the legendary 2nd Randall's Island show? How come? Pffft. :D

The Boston 1994 concerts, all of the Mansfield shows, Hartford 2008... That's impressive. You're a lucky guy, my friend.

Had to choose 1 show to buy fanclub tix with (only one allowed back then), chose the Saturday show, passed on Sunday as I live in MA, also passed on Hartford (pepper spray riot) and Portland Maine (Dennis Rodman appearance) as they were on a Tues and Thurs.

I got John Popper on harmonica for Evenflow though.:wink:

But as you note, I've seen some pretty damn good shows.

And this might also be a rarity for Pearl Jam shows: when I saw them the second time (in Hawaii) every song they played, except 2, they had also played in Antwerp. The only new ones I got were Life Wasted and their cover of Hawaii 78.

This is rare, but the fact is they were the opening band and their setlist was focused on the hits that get played a lot. So it makes sense. I'm expecting something similar at the Venice gig I'm going to in July, since it is a festival date. The European tour schedule is a bit disappointing this year because most of the dates are festivals, and I can't think of a band I would like less to see on a festival than PJ. Then again, there were some great festival gigs in the past, Bonnaroo 2008 being the best example.

This is rare, but the fact is they were the opening band and their setlist was focused on the hits that get played a lot.

Yeah, but Rearviewmirror is a hit too. Much more than Crazy Mary (sorry, don't really like that one).

The European tour schedule is a bit disappointing this year because most of the dates are festivals, and I can't think of a band I would like less to see on a festival than PJ.

True. It's also why I didn't buy tickets (yet). And why I chose to see them in Antwerp instead of Arnhem, the Netherlands, in 2006 (while that wasn't a festival date, it was in a (small) stadium and I really prefer to see Pearl Jam in an arena).

just for the sake of comparison... doing the same thing i did with PJ was, let's just say, a tad easier with U2.

to review...

my all around PJ stats...
--8 shows
--238 songs for an average of 29.75 songs per show
--103 unique songs for an average of 12.875 songs i've never heard before per show

and now, my all around U2 stats...
--15 shows
--309 songs for an average of 20.6 songs per show... to be fair, two of those 15 songs were brooklyn bridge and rock hall of fame, which had shorter setlists. combine those two sets together and divide by 14... which comes out to an average of 22.07 (if you really wanna me technical, if i get rid of those two shows all together, it's an agerage of 22.3 songs per show)
--63 unique songs, for an average of 4.2 songs i've never heard per show
--i've gotten Vertigo 16 times. i've seen U2 15 times, i've gotten Vertigo 16 times. this is made all the more (non)impressive by the fact that two of these 15 shows occured before Vertigo even existed.

16 times
Vertigo

15 times
Beautiful Day

13 times
Elevation
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Where The Streets Have No Name

12 times
City of Blinding Lights

11 times
Bullet The Blue Sky
One
Pride

10 times
Mysterious Ways
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

9 times
All Because of You
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Love and Peace or Else
Miracle Drug
With or Without You

7 times
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
The Fly

6 times
I Will Follow
Yahweh

5 times
Bad
Miss Sarajevo
Original of the Species
The Electric Co.
Zoo Station

4 times
Running To Stand Still
The First Time
Until The End Of The World
Walk On

3 times
An Cat Dubh - Into The Heart
Desire
Fast Cars
Magnificent

2 times
Breathe
Crumbs From Your Table
Get On Your Boots
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
In A Little While
Kite
MLK
Moment of Surrender
New Year's Day
New York
No Line On The Horizon
Out of Control
Stay (Far away, so close)
The Ocean
The Unforgettable Fire
Ultraviolet

Once
All I Want Is You
Because The Night
Gimme Shelter
Gloria
Gone
Instant Karma
She's A Mystery To Me
She's The One
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Unknown Caller
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Wild Honey
Your Blue Room

and yea, slow day.

Well, Pearl Jam obviously nails U2 in that department, but you're a big Springsteen fan if I'm not mistaken, so that would be interesting to compare, if it's still a slow day at work.

That was Augusta, actually.

Took forever to get there.
As usual you are correct sir. The good old battle Ticketmaster days where they found obscure venues to play...I hope to never grace Randall's Island again, the traffic made getting out of Foxborough look like a ride on the Autobahn.

As usual you are correct sir. The good old battle Ticketmaster days where they found obscure venues to play...I hope to never grace Randall's Island again, the traffic made getting out of Foxborough look like a ride on the Autobahn.

i take the RFK bridge home a lot because there's less traffic heading that way than the midtown tunnel or the queensboro bridge, but i can't imagine what trying to get out of there for a concert by car would be like. there's one exit on and off, and you get onto a bridge right at the toll booths. that would be a nightmare of epic proportions.

and you don't really wanna walk it either, 'cause you'd end up on 125th street in east harlem in the middle of the night. not exactly an ideal situation (even though harlem really ain't that bad anymore)

Well, Pearl Jam obviously nails U2 in that department, but you're a big Springsteen fan if I'm not mistaken, so that would be interesting to compare, if it's still a slow day at work.

you asked for it, you got it.

all around Springsteen numbers...

--7 shows
2003 - giants stadium 10, shea stadium 1
2007 - msg 1
2008 - nassau coliseum, giants stadium 3
2009 - nassau coliseum, giants stadium 1

--182 total songs, for an average of 26 songs per show
--81 unique songs, for an average of 11.57 songs that i've never heard before per show
--strange things... i've seen massive hits like born in the usa, thunder road, glory days and hungry heart only one time each, yet i've seen Jersey Girl three times.

All 7 Shows
Badlands
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
The Rising

6 Times
Night
The Promised Land
Lonesome Day

5 Times
American Land
Rosalita
She's The One
Waitin' On A Sunny Day

4 Times
Because The Night
Jungleland
No Surrender
Radio Nowhere

3 Times
Brilliant Disguise
Into The Fire
Johnny 99
Jersey Girl
Last To Die
Livin' In The Future
Long Walk Home
Mary's Place

2 Times
Adam Raised A Cain
Backstreets
Devil's Arcade
Empty Sky
Girls In Their Summer Clothes
Gypsy Biker
Hard Times
Incident on 57th Street
Kitty's Back
Land of Hope and Dreams
Magic
My City of Ruins
Outlaw Pete
Raise Your Hand
Reason to Believe
Seeds
Spirit in the Night
Tenth Avenue Freeze Out
Two Hearts
Working On A Dream

Once
American Skin (41 Shots)
Atlantic City
Blinded By The Light
Bobby Jean
Born in the U.S.A.
Cadillac Ranch
Candy's Room
Cynthia
Darlington County
E Street Shuffle
Expressway To Your Heart
For You
Ghost of Tom Joad
Glory Days
Growing Up
Hungry Heart
Kingdom of Days
Light Of Day
Lost In The Flood
Lucky Town
Man's Job
Meeting Across The River
Pretty Flamingo
Prove It All Night
Ramrod
Rendezvous
Seven Nights to Rock
Souls of the Departed
Summertime Blues
The Fuse
The Ties That Bind
The Wrestler
Thunder Road
Thundercrack
Tunnel of Love
Who'll Stop the Rain
Wrecking Ball

so a final comparison...

Total Songs
--Pearl Jam: 238 songs at an average of 29.8 per show
--Springsteen: 182 songs at an average of 26 per show
--U2: 309 songs at an average of 20.6 per show (22 if you only count full length concerts)

Unique Songs
--Pearl Jam: 103 unique songs for an average of 12.875 per show
--Springsteen: 81 unique songs for an average of 11.57 per show
--U2: 63 unique songs for an average of 4.2 per show

Thus Then... How Much of the average set list is material that I've seen before
--Springsteen: 55%
--Pearl Jam: 57%
--U2: 80% (75% if you only count full length concerts)

but remember... U2 concerts, unlike the stones, are about new songs and not just rehashing the past!

i take the RFK bridge home a lot because there's less traffic heading that way than the midtown tunnel or the queensboro bridge, but i can't imagine what trying to get out of there for a concert by car would be like. there's one exit on and off, and you get onto a bridge right at the toll booths. that would be a nightmare of epic proportions.

Twas brutal.

Columbo, Oh Hi Oh:
May 6, 2010 Columbus, OH, Nationwide Arena

Mike's preset: Dead Flowers (Jagger, Richards), Untitled song for Mike’s son (McCready)

Set List: Oceans, Given To Fly, Corduroy, Got Some, World Wide Suicide, Faithfull, Small Town, Amongst The Waves, Even Flow, Comatose, Marker In The Sand, Unthought Known, Grievance, Alone, The Fixer, Do The Evolution

1st encore: Just Breathe, Black, State Of Love And Trust, Spin The Black Circle, Go

2nd encore: Come Back (dedicated to Brian Shaffer), Once, Hail Hail, Crazy Mary (Williams), Alive, Yellow Ledbetter

Brian Shaffer is a Columbus area PJ fan (I believe a tOSU med student) who went missing in 2006 and hasn't been seen since. Some 10clubbers have been aiding in efforts to locate him for the past 4 years.

Fuck these spoiler tags. So pointless. Especially since we discuss the setlist afterwards without them. Anyways, this is the best 2010 set by far for now. Love that 1st encore, Alone is one of my favourite b-sides, Come Back is beautiful, and you know you're in for a special show when Oceans is the opener. :up:

Sooo...

May 7, 2010 Noblesville, Indiana, Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Indiana
Set List: Release, Last Exit, Got Some, Why Go, In My Tree, Small Town, Unthought Known, Even Flow, Supersonic, Down, Daughter/WMA/Blitzkrieg Bop (Ramones), Goin’ Back To Indiana (The Corporation) [partial version], Rats, Wishlist, Insignificance, Force Of Nature (dedicated To Hud Mellencamp), Jeremy, The Fixer

1st encore: Just Breathe, Off He Goes, Given To Fly, Lukin, Better Man, Do The Evolution

2nd encore: Garden, Whipping, Alive, Baba O’Riley (Townshend), Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner

and...

May 9, 2010 Cleveland, OH, Quicken Loans Arena
Set List: Wash, Hail Hail, Corduroy, Got Some, In Hiding, World Wide Suicide, Force Of Nature, Immortality, Go, Even Flow, Army Reserve, Unthought Known, Daughter/WMA, Sleight Of Hand, Johnny Guitar, Do The Evolution, The Fixer, Why Go

1st encore: Just Breathe, Given To Fly, Leash, Porch

2nd encore: Wasted Reprise, Life Wasted, Black, The Real Me (Townshend), Smile, Alive, Indifference

Noblesville set features Release, In My Tree, Off He Goes and Garden, which makes it awesome, but god damn that Cleveland show is a monster. Wash opening for the first time since Mansfield 2008, rare appearances of Immortality (why aren't they playing their greatest song more often?), Sleight of Hand :drool:, Leash, Smile and Indifference. And the only logical place in the set to have Wasted Reprise is as an intro to Life Wasted (never liked the Wasted Reprise/Better Man combo), which makes for a great opener, whether it is the main set or in the encore. Looks like this Cleveland show is a worthy successor to the Cleveland 2006 one. That's one of my favourite bootlegs ever and it doesn't get mentioned that often.

Fuck. Why can't I see them on a stand-alone gig? There's no way a setlist this good will be played on a festival.

Oh yeah, the soundcheck for the Cleveland show was even more interesting. Along with Wash and Sleight of Hand, they performed gems like Undone, Fatal, No Way and Speed of Sound. Hoping they'll make an appearance soon, especially the first two that weren't played since Backspacer came out...

I was at the show last night. It was just so awesome. Had such a great time and on top of that got 9th Row Center seats which just made it perfect. Wow, I'm so glad I decided to come to Cleveland, I realyl needed this little get away.

I must say Quicken Loand is a great arena. The sound was absolutely incredible. The band sounded fantastic. Now I regret not having planned on going to another show.

It felt like this was a fall show. It is still so fucking cold in Cleveland.

Oh and they're playing u23d at the RRHOF so got to see that again also. :wink:

As Drew Carey likes to say, Cleveland Rocks.
Nice setlist.
So Rose you hit the lottery for 9th row? Good for you.
Hoping Fatal shows up in Hartford or Beantown.

Oh yeah, the soundcheck for the Cleveland show was even more interesting. Along with Wash and Sleight of Hand, they performed gems like Undone, Fatal, No Way and Speed of Sound. Hoping they'll make an appearance soon, especially the first two that weren't played since Backspacer came out...

sounds like they're gearing up for next week's boston/jersey/new york run...

i'm hoping for a springsteen cover in newark... i'm really hoping for a springsteen appearance but i'm not gonna hold my breath on that one.

breath would be nice too

As Drew Carey likes to say, Cleveland Rocks.
Nice setlist.
So Rose you hit the lottery for 9th row? Good for you.
Hoping Fatal shows up in Hartford or Beantown.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it. I was afraid to look at the tickets and actually didn't have my glasses with me so I couldn't read them anyway. The woman in front of me on the ticket line was dying to see what I had gotten so she read them for me. My friend was so happy when she saw we had won the lottery!! I have a really high number so this was really a treat!

It was so incredible, particularly because I didn't have tall people in front of me so I actually had a perfect view of the entire stage. :lol:

May 10, 2010 Buffalo, NY, HSBC Arena
Set List: Unthought Known, Severed Hand, Animal, The Fixer, Small Town, No Way, Given To Fly, Light Years, Even Flow, Amongst The Waves, Unemployable, Grievance, Not For You, Got Some, Do The Evolution, Wasted Reprise, Better Man/Save It For Later

1st encore:
Just Breathe, Fatal, Last Kiss, Spin the Black Circle, Rearviewmirror

2nd encore:
Once, Alive, Fuckin' Up, Yellow Ledbetter

Great to see No Way, Fatal and Fuckin' Up (a Neil Young cover I prefer to Rockin' in the Free World) in there, and Unthought Known always seemed like an ideal opening song waiting to happen.

May 13, 2010 Bristow, VA, Jiffy Lube Live

Set List: Small Town, World Wide Suicide, Got Some, Brain Of J, Save You, Given To Fly, Present Tense, Down, Unthought Known, Insignificance, Even Flow, Comatose, Faithfull, All Those Yesterdays, Black, The Fixer, Do The Evolution

1st encore: The End, Just Breathe (dedicated to Carmine MacKaye), Garden, Why Go, Wasted Reprise, Life Wasted, Blood/Atomic Dog (Clinton, Shider, Spradley)

2nd encore: Better Man/Save It For Later (Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) [song title dedicated to Sean Penn for Haiti relief work], Spin The Black Circle, Alive (dedicated to Jon Tester), Sonic Reducer (Bators, Blitz, Chrome, Magnum, Thomas, Zero), Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner

No truth to the rumor that Boom gave all 10 clubbers free oil changes.

Back
Top Bottom