Pearl Jam Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fuck. It's been almost ten years since Binaural and the awesome 2000 tour. When are they going to have a new album?

Yet Boom said on the radio that they were starting the tour in March.
Doesn't add up.

does not add up, indeed...

unless it's late march i would think they'd have to start selling soon... certainly a lot better than U2's practice of selling tickets 10 months in advance of the show, but still would think they'd at least have an announcement out by now if they were really starting in march.

this reminds me... i remember getting killed by the u2 sheep when i bitched about u2 announcing and selling tickets for june shows in september of the year before... and here we sit with just one new york show which technicaly isn't sold out yet.

yea... that decision really worked wonders.

:covers ears:

I'm not listening. I'm not listening. None of that happened. :angry:

I think he's saying that Pearl Jam hasn't done anything worthy of acknowledgment since Binaural (I hope so, anyway; the fewer :huh:s I can use, the better). The thing is, uh, it's not as if Binaural was a classic or anything.

Fuck it.

:huh:

Binaural was a classic for me...great songwriting and a nice change of pace with the very dark (and dank?) production style of Tchad Blake. That tour was legendary and provided us the excellent Touring Band DVD...my first DVD purchase and still one of the best concert releases of all time.

Riot Act gave us a tour where the band sounded a bit weaker...and worse, an album of mostly unmemorable albeit tolerable tracks.

The less said about Pearl Jam the better.

Last year's was...not too terrible?

Binaural was a classic for me...great songwriting and a nice change of pace with the very dark (and dank?) production style of Tchad Blake. That tour was legendary and provided us the excellent Touring Band DVD...my first DVD purchase and still one of the best concert releases of all time.

Riot Act gave us a tour where the band sounded a bit weaker...and worse, an album of mostly unmemorable albeit tolerable tracks.

The less said about Pearl Jam the better.

Last year's was...not too terrible?

see i disagree. i am a huge fan of the Riot Act album. i don't follow their tours too closely but i would say that Riot Act was my favority since Vitalogy.

In my opinion, none of the albums from the last decade were so amazing or distinct enough to be singled out from the others as some kind of watermark, or bad enough to really be awarded black sheep status. They've been consistently treading water and making decent music, with each album a mixed bag.

Bottom line, they haven't even approached the level of Yield, let alone the three masterpieces that preceded it.

If we're talking Pearl Jam fandom, I think it is considered by many to be a masterpiece, yeah. It's my favorite for sure.

is Vitalogy considered a masterpiece by many? i can't get into it at all really, though I love Ten and adore Vs.

I feel the very same way, I've always struggled to get into Vitalogy too,
The album is very lackluster to me, with the exception of......

Betterman
Nothing Man
Corduroy
Immortality
Spin The Black Circle.

Its hard to put an album on and listen to it the whole way through when there's tunes like Bugs and Heyfoxymophandlemomma, :|

I think PJ really lost something after VS, I think I heard before that the death of Kurt had such a big effect on them that they wanted to get out of the limelight and also change the style of the music.

I feel the very same way, I've always struggled to get into Vitalogy too,
The album is very lackluster to me, with the exception of......

Betterman
Nothing Man
Corduroy
Immortality
Spin The Black Circle.

Its hard to put an album on and listen to it the whole way through when there's tunes like Bugs and Heyfoxymophandlemomma, :|

I think PJ really lost something after VS, I think I heard before that the death of Kurt had such a big effect on them that they wanted to get out of the limelight and also change the style of the music.

I like Nothingman and Better Man, but see I think Spin the Black Circle is pretty shit. Just a thrash track.

On your last point, I've only got Ten>Vitalogy and Backspacer, but even if the rest isn't much chop, there's soooo much good on Ten and Vs i won't mind.

I like Nothingman and Better Man, but see I think Spin the Black Circle is pretty shit. Just a thrash track.

On your last point, I've only got Ten>Vitalogy and Backspacer, but even if the rest isn't much chop, there's soooo much good on Ten and Vs i won't mind.

Yeah its my least favorite of the above, Its an okay track, but underachieving for Pearl Jam,

I think every Pearl Jam album has a few great tracks, except for Ten, VS, and Yield, there great the whole way through!!! you should check out Yield, great album!!!!

No Code and Yield are both among their best, imo.

Yield is probably my favorite PJ record - "Given To Fly" has been my favorite PJ song in recent months.

No Code isn't talk about as much as it should be. It's a very different vibe from anything else they've ever done. "In My Tree", "Off He Goes", "Who You Are", and "I'm Open" are some of the mellowest, most gorgeous songs in their catalog.

No Code and Yield are both among their best, imo.

Yield is probably my favorite PJ record - "Given To Fly" has been my favorite PJ song in recent months.

No Code isn't talk about as much as it should be. It's a very different vibe from anything else they've ever done. "In My Tree", "Off He Goes", "Who You Are", and "I'm Open" are some of the mellowest, most gorgeous songs in their catalog.

:up: Like all great bands PJ has their different sides, and this is one of their best. Given to Fly, even though it's derivative is still one of my faves, and the others you list are PJ at their best when it comes to the "mellow" side of PJ.

I like all sides of PJ, except maybe their "punk" side, that aspect of PJ bores me.

loving pearl jam at the minute! have only really discovered them recently though..... ive only got ten, vs, vitalogy and backspacer!! loving them all.... especially vs! can anyone recommend which i should go for next??
oh... and ive got tickets to see them in belfast in july!! living for it!! :wave:

loving pearl jam at the minute! have only really discovered them recently though..... ive only got ten, vs, vitalogy and backspacer!! loving them all.... especially vs! can anyone recommend which i should go for next??
oh... and ive got tickets to see them in belfast in july!! living for it!! :wave:

I think you should check YIELD out, its one of there best and from the above comments I'm not alone on that, great, great album!!!

Althought I'd say its more like Backspacer than VS or Ten, It has a more mellow, mature sound to it, some great rockers on it too tho,

I've got tickets to PJ in Belfast too!!!! :up: , But just remember its on June 23rd :wink:, that would be a terrible way to miss a gig! :|

:lol: yeah 23rd june i meant to say!! although turning up a month late is like something i would do!!
thanks for the recommendation.... 'yield' is next on my list now! :up:

Anybody know anything about further US dates? I'd think they'd be touring this year, since their album just came out 6-7 months ago. Or is the Soundgarden reunion tour going to be keeping Matt Cameron too busy? Pearl Jam is one band I have never seen, but really want to. I don't think the album "Pearl Jam" is nearly as bad as everybody makes it out to be. I actually really like it. "Marker in the sand" is probably my favorite PJ song.

avacado was very much liked on these boards and held fairly high by the critics, and that's two albums ago, sooooo... :scratch:

boom said on a radio that they'd be touring in march, they're signed up for a festival in new orleans already, and rumors that their name showed up on a billboard of some sorts outside of an arena in tampa for a show in early april.

i think they're trying to balance the dates between the soundgarden disaster of a reunion tour and the pearl jam tour, so that's the delay.

Back
Top Bottom