Pearl Jam Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah The City of Angels got a couple of great shows this week:
Tues:
October 6, 2009 Universal City, California, Gibson Amphitheater

Set List: Sometimes, Breakerfall, (Interstellar Overdrive)/Corduroy, Save You, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Got Some, Unthought Known, Faithfull, Even Flow, Unemployable, Daughter, Johnny Guitar, Given To Fly, Off He Goes, Comatose, The Fixer, Do The Evolution

1st encore: Just Breathe w/string quartet, The End w/string quartet, Lukin w/string quartet, Red Mosquito w/Ben Harper, Jazz Odyssey, Rearviewmirror

2nd encore: Once, Footsteps, Hunger Strike w/Chris Cornell, Alive w/Jerry Cantrell

Wed:
October 7, 2009 Universal City, California, Gibson Amphitheater

Set List: Long Road, Animal, Hail Hail, Gonna See My Friend, Got Some, Alone, Nothingman, Amongst The Waves, Even Flow, Untitled, Unthought Known, All Those Yesterdays, Why Go, Wishlist, Present Tense, Force Of Nature, The Fixer, Spin The Black Circle, Porch

1st encore: Just Breathe w/string quartet, The End w/string quartet, Lukin w/string quartet, Red Mosquito w/Ben Harper & string quartet, Jazz Odyssey, Love, Reign O'er Me (Townshend), Blood/Atomic Dog (Clinton, Shider, Spradley)

2nd encore: State Of Love And Trust, Crown Of Thorns (Mother Love Bone, A. Wood), Kick Out The Jams w/Jerry Cantrell (Davis, Kramer, Smith, Thompson, Tyner), Alive, Indifference w/Ben Harper

October 6, 2009 Universal City, California, Gibson Amphitheater

Set List: Sometimes, Breakerfall, (Interstellar Overdrive)/Corduroy, Save You, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Got Some, Unthought Known, Faithfull, Even Flow, Unemployable, Daughter, Johnny Guitar, Given To Fly, Off He Goes, Comatose, The Fixer, Do The Evolution

1st encore: Just Breathe w/string quartet, The End w/string quartet, Lukin w/string quartet, Red Mosquito w/Ben Harper, Jazz Odyssey, Rearviewmirror

2nd encore: Once, Footsteps, Hunger Strike w/Chris Cornell, Alive w/Jerry Cantrell

:combust:

Best
Setlist
Ever!!!

Sometimes :hyper:
Breakerfall :hyper:
Rearviewmirror :hyper:
Footsteps :hyper:

:drool:

So... about that last LA show, that was only the second performance of All Those Yesterdays, a great underrated gem from Yield, since 1998 (the first one being an acoustic version at the famous Mansfield experiment in 2003).

Alone is another great rarity that was played for the first time since 2006. Can't wait to hear those LA bootlegs!

My wife, son and I went to see Pearl Jam on the campus of San Diego State University last Friday night (10/9/09). Here is the setlist:

Corduroy
Severed Hand
Brain Of J.
Elderly Woman...
Amongst The Waves
Johnny Guitar
Even Flow
Unthought Known
Parachutes
Daughter
I Got Sh#t
You Are
Force Of Nature
Got Some
Do The Evolution
Rearview Mirror

Encore #1
The End
Red Mosquito
Happy Birthday
Given To Fly
Last Kiss
The Fixer
Life Wasted

Encore #2
Why Go
Black
Better Man
Little Wing
So You Want To Be A Rock 'n Roll Star
Alive
Yellow Ledbetter / Star Spangled Banner

I have to admit I fall in the category of a "casual" PJ fan and have never seen a full concert. I saw them open for U2 in Hawaii a few years ago and then again last year at the Who VH-1 Tribute show (2 songs). I liked what I saw and knew I have to see them headline at some point. I only have their greatest hits and the new CD. Having said this, I have to say this was one of the best concerts I have ever been to! The PJ fans are amazing! They knew the words to all the songs and sang along with Eddie. Eddie was in a talky mood Friday night. At various points during the concert he would tell stories. The stories were short and in no way affect the mood of the fans. In fact, this seemed to have a real positive impact.

He mentioned this was the last night of the first leg of their world tour. He said we have all these guitars and amps and we got no place to go - let's blow the roof off this f#cking place - I think they came pretty close! He also spoke about the band's special connection with San Diego. Eddie and Matt (the drummer) grew up in San Diego (20 years?) and Mike McCready also spent a few years in the area. Eddie mentioned they had a lot of friends & family in the audience and this seemed to elevate the overall performance.

Eddie said the band and their roadies have been together a long time. He mentioned someone (I don't remember the name) in particular. He was the first guy in the "family" that had a child. Eddie spoke about going to the hospital to see the new baby and holding her and protecting her from the Seattle weather while Dad went to get the car. That was LuLu and Friday was her 16th birthday. Eddie asked her to come out and he asked everyone to help sing Happy Birthday to her. He gave her and Dad a big hug after. Given to Fly was dedicated to LuLu.

Last Kiss was played to the folks behind the stage by the entire band.

Eddie spoke about a supervisor job he had in San Diego. He told his boss he was going to make it in the music biz. He asked his boss if he could get a mohawk - his boss paused and then said OK but the earrings had to go!

Eddie's guitar teacher and Matt's drum teacher were in attendance. He dedicated Better Man to them. He started the song by himself on guitar and the audience sang the first verse. He just played his guitar with a big smile on his face. After Better Man they brought out the teachers and they played drums and guitar on So You Want to Be a Rock & Roll Star.

Unbelievable experience!! They have a no frills stage and there are no big screens. These guys really connect with their fans. The energy was amazing. Dare I say this reminded me of a Bruce Springsteen concert from the early 80s. Looking at recent setlists it is incredible how they mix things up from night to night. My 18 year old son told me we got some real rarities. They played all the songs I wanted to hear and even the ones I did not recognize were good. The concert lasted about 2 hours and 45 minutes. I know they are hitting the East Coast later this month - this is a must attend concert experience. You will not be disappointed!

Top to bottom, Backspacer is the best PJ album since Vs., IMO. Yes there are stronger single songs in the catalog, but Backspacer is just a great record. I've been waiting for this from PJ for YEARS. Bravo boys, you did a great job with this one.

Top to bottom, Backspacer is the best PJ album since Vs., IMO. Yes there are stronger single songs in the catalog, but Backspacer is just a great record. I've been waiting for this from PJ for YEARS. Bravo boys, you did a great job with this one.

It is a very enjoyable album and one of my tops for the year...it does a good job of condensing what the band's been doing this decade into a tight 40 minute LP. Catchy ass songs, a nice uplifting vibe to it, and there's a lot of maturity (for lack of a better word) in the way Eddie is writing songs these days. But I still don't feel it matches up with Vitalogy, No Code, or Yield. So, yeah, I'm with Laz on this one.

It is a very enjoyable album and one of my tops for the year...it does a good job of condensing what the band's been doing this decade into a tight 40 minute LP. Catchy ass songs, a nice uplifting vibe to it, and there's a lot of maturity (for lack of a better word) in the way Eddie is writing songs these days. But I still don't feel it matches up with Vitalogy, No Code, or Yield. So, yeah, I'm with Laz on this one.

This...:up:

It's a good album, but that's about it.

Yeah, I would say No Code and Yield probably make up the cream of the crop! Especially Yield. Music (in general) cannot get much better than Wishlist, Given To Fly, Low Light, MFC and In Hiding. :heart:

gave it a spin yesterday...

it didn't blow me away or anything. pretty good. unthought known, the fixer, speed of sound and force of nature were good :up:

gave it a spin yesterday...

it didn't blow me away or anything. pretty good. unthought known, the fixer, speed of sound and force of nature were good :up:

Dude... Amongst The Waves! It's basically Pearl Jam pretending to be U2 or something. My favourite song on the album and possibly a new entry in my personal PJ Top 20 or even 10. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom