Pearl Jam Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No one will probably be ultra-thrilled with what I had to say, but considering I used to tell people I thought Pearl Jam sucked, this is pretty positive. From another thread:

It was pretty much what I was expecting. I had fun, and they did a great job doing what they do (I personally don't connect with what they do all that much though). I would preferred to not hear the entirety of the new album live personally, 5 or 6 songs would have sufficed. I felt lame at first for only knowing lyrics to the mega hits from the first few albums, but then I realized that most every one was in the same boat. There were maybe 2 or 3 other songs I could actually hear some scattered singing along to that I wasn't singing to. I actually sang along to a Ramones cover they did that no one else knew, so that was interesting. It was a good show, they really are great live, but I've seen dozens and dozens of shows by other bands I enjoyed more than it. It didn't "change my life" like everyone in the Pearl Jam thread attempted to imply, but I probably do like them ever so slightly more than I used to.

4 too many.

Heyo!

The guy behind me was supposedly a "huge Pearl Jam fan", and he told me "new album" on about 10 (maybe 11) songs. Shows how much he knows, I guess.

I picked up Backspacer and the 2 disc "best of" on the way home from work yesterday. Sorta kicking myself in the pants that I didn't before the show, as I would have actually been familiar with the majority of the setlist.

How exactly does the download thing for Backspacer work? Are there specific concerts you have to choose, or are they going to add all the shows from this tour (as in, I'll be able to download the show I went to?)?

How exactly does the download thing for Backspacer work? Are there specific concerts you have to choose, or are they going to add all the shows from this tour (as in, I'll be able to download the show I went to?)?
You can choose from these shows:

Halifax (22/09/05)
Philadelphia (03/10/05)
Santiago (21/11/05)
Chicago (17/05/06)
Grand Rapids (19/05/06)
Camden (28/05/06)
E Rutherford (06/03/06)
San Francisco (16/07/06)
New York (25/06/06)
Hartford (27/06/08)
Mansfield (28/06/08)

L.a. 1:

september 30, 2009 universal city, california, gibson amphitheater

set list: Why go, animal, world wide suicide, got some, tremor christ, force of nature, elderly woman behind the counter in a small town, unthought known, even flow, amongst the waves, insignificance, rats, present tense, big wave, down, the fixer, porch

1st encore: Just breathe w/string quartet, the end w/string quartet, red mosquito w/ben harper, black, life wasted

2nd encore: State of love and trust, alive, rockin' in the free world (young)

They keep pulling out rarities for this tour so far. That was the first Tremor Christ since Torino 2006. And I love the fact that Red Mosquito is becoming a regular (at least as long as Ben Harper is the opening act), one of their most underrated tracks. On the other hand, this is already 5th show in a row that omitted Corduroy, while Jeremy still has to be played live in 2009. Weird. Also, the premiere of Force of Nature:

YouTube - Pearl Jam Force of Nature Gibson Amp Sept 30, 2009

That setlist needs a bit more:

6a00d10a76f2f58bfa00e398a65bc40001-500pi

and especially:

PearlJam-Yield.jpg

:drool::drool:

I'll take any setlist with Red Mosquito, Present Tense and State of Love and Trust in it.

Also, for those of you that haven't read the new Rolling Stone article, Boner said he likes The Fixer. Of course, he could be LIEING.

I love when all of those big name frontmen fellate eachother's songs in the media. In recent years Stipe has come out and said how much he loves "Beautiful Day" and Springsteen's "Radio Nowhere." Springsteen is complimentary of everybody all the time, Vedder expressed his love of the last Strokes album, and now Boner. They're all liars.

I doubt Boner has truly listened to anything other than the sound of his own voice in the last 10 years.

he likes the sound of his own voice!1! he didn't give anybody else a choice!!! an intellectual tortoise!!!! racing with somethin blah blah blah

My favorite songs (so far) from Backspacer:

The Fixer
Johnny Guitar
Just Breathe
Force of Nature
Amongst the Waves
Unthought Known
Got Some
The End

:up:

On the other hand, this is already 5th show in a row that omitted Corduroy, while Jeremy still has to be played live in 2009. Weird.

EdVed told me he took your post into account whilst composing last night's setlist.:

October 1, 2009 Universal City, California, Gibson Amphitheater

Set List: (Interstellar Overdrive)/Corduroy, Severed Hand, Got Some, Do The Evolution, Dissident, Given To Fly, Johnny Guitar, Amongst The Waves, I Got Shit, Daughter, Jeremy, Unthought Known, Small Town, Driven To Tears, The Fixer, Rearviewmirror

1st encore: Just Breathe w/string quartet, The End w/string quartet, Lukin w/string quartet, Red Mosquito w/Ben Harper, Jazz Odyssey, Better Man/(Save It For Later)

2nd encore: Gonna See My Friend, I Believe In Miracles (Ramone, Ray), Once, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter/(Star Spangled Banner)

Lukin with a string quartet, can't wait to hear that arrangement.

I love when all of those big name frontmen fellate eachother's songs in the media. In recent years Stipe has come out and said how much he loves "Beautiful Day" and Springsteen's "Radio Nowhere." Springsteen is complimentary of everybody all the time, Vedder expressed his love of the last Strokes album, and now Boner. They're all liars.

Dude, Stipe expressed his love for Beautiful Day long back! There's even a youtube video of him and some other guy flying to a U2 gig and Stipe dancing like a fool during BD. lol.

My favorite songs (so far) from Backspacer:

The Fixer
Johnny Guitar
Just Breathe
Force of Nature
Amongst the Waves
Unthought Known
Got Some
The End

:up:

Fucking good album, isn't it? I'm still not bored of listening to it multiple times a day. There is no doubt that I prefer it to the self titled one.

The other thing that struck me is that they sound more like U2 now. lol. Amongst The Waves and Unthought Known are probably the most uplifting songs they have ever made!?

Last edited:
Not new by any means. I bought the first two albums when they came out, respectively.

Not new by any means. I bought the first two albums when they came out, respectively.

Then you are an older fan than me who just lost interest(?). :wink: I got into Ten (and Nevermind) properly only in the mid 90s. :reject: Since then, slowly and surely I've been picking up all the albums.. and they're all so consistently good! :drool: well, maybe all except Riot Act, in the consistency dept.

Fucking good album, isn't it? I'm still not bored of listening to it multiple times a day. There is no doubt that I prefer it to the self titled one.

The other thing that struck me is that they sound more like U2 now. lol. Amongst The Waves and Unthought Known are probably the most uplifting songs they have ever made!?

YES! :up: :up:

Finally, finally, I can say without hesitation: this is easily their best album since Yield. It only took me 30-plus listens to realize that fact! It's got everything...perhaps the biggest range of emotion and feeling they've captured to date on one album. It's delicious. :heart:

"Uplifting" is definitely an appropriate description for Amongst The Waves and Unthought Known. Supersonic, Johnny guitar are punchy and full-on punk. I can't wait to hear all of these live. The Fixer is probably my least favourite track -- but live, it could take on a different life.

The slower songs also come into focus after repeated listens...Ed has really developed something special since the Into the Wild soundtrack, and it's carried through to Backspacer in a great way.

The End is actually the very first Pearl Jam song that I shed a tear to. It just hit me, and made me think of my own mortality, and the people I've already said goodbye to, like my grandmother. Pretty powerful.

Fucking good album, indeed. :rockon:

I've been listening to the last few albums thanks to Backspacer. Binaural, Riot Act and Pearl Jam especially. I'm developing a new appreciation for them. It will be my Autumn of Pearl Jam. :hyper:

Supersonic is so :love: to sing along to! Even Johnny Guitar (least favourite on the album) has grown on me, so I no longer skip it. I agree that it is their best album since Yield.

I'm trying not to think about the fact that there's no way I'll be able to catch them on this tour without taking an international flight.

Back
Top Bottom