Pearl Jam Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, that's a really interesting set. Alive, Better Man, Corduroy. I wonder how long it's been since they've played a set with none of those three songs in there. Not to mention Even Flow, which they've never not played (exaggeration, I know, but not far from the truth).

Despite of that, there were some on the pit bitching how they played Just Breathe, The End and The Real Me again (makes sense because they wanted to use those Seattle musicians again)... Despite the fact that there were only 7 repeats in 2 nights. U2 fans get lucky if they get 4 or 5 different songs on the 2nd night. :D

Video for No Way (sounds good, especially the ending):

YouTube - No Way

PJ and Springsteen fans are spoiled when it comes to setlists. i know i got annoyed one time when PJ played a very similar final encore to a show i had already seen a few months earlier... afterwords i started thinking to myself "what the shit? 85% of the set was different and i'm bitching cause of 3 songs that were repeated? i need help"

So far Backspacer's a little bit of a disappointment to me, there's a lot to like, and I wouldn't mind an upbeat PJ, but it just doesn't sound all that new to me, we'll see with further listens. I love the chorus to 'Supersonic', but it just comes off as a bit too surfer-rock to me, similar reason why I don't really get into 'Big Wave' from the Avocado.

My favorites at the moment: 'The Fixer', 'Just Breathe', 'Force of Nature'. 'The End' is great, but given the nature of the album seems like an odd way to close it out, and I agree with those on here that liked the demo 'Speed of Sound' better.

So far Backspacer's a little bit of a disappointment to me, there's a lot to like, and I wouldn't mind an upbeat PJ, but it just doesn't sound all that new to me, we'll see with further listens. I love the chorus to 'Supersonic', but it just comes off as a bit too surfer-rock to me, similar reason why I don't really get into 'Big Wave' from the Avocado.

My favorites at the moment: 'The Fixer', 'Just Breathe', 'Force of Nature'. 'The End' is great, but given the nature of the album seems like an odd way to close it out, and I agree with those on here that liked the demo 'Speed of Sound' better.

Oh man! I think Supersonic is so much better than Big Wave. The more I listen to it, the more I'm convinced that this album is better than the self titled one. But it is definitely new album hysteria to an extent. The last one had Gone and Inside Job after all.

Oh no don't get me wrong, I like it a lot more than Big Wave, its just not the side of PJ I like the most, and I would have loved that chorus without the surfer sound to the music.

supersonic = awesome!

Eddie Vedder hasnt aged to well

gaddafi712971.jpg

Wow I've been living under a rock, I didn't realize '2 concert downloads' meant 2 whole concerts. I love how they pretty much record each show professionally, but buying those would be expensive. I have the shows I've been to but that's it. (besides the Gorge set, and DVDs).

My god! This album... :drool:

While the first 4 songs are okay, track 5 and everything afterward is just nothing short of stellar! Force Of Nature has also grown on me. I think the whole song block of Just Breathe to The End is 5 star worthy!

There are few songs out there with a more natural and superb finish like there is on The End. :heart:

My god! This album... :drool:

While the first 4 songs are okay, track 5 and everything afterward is just nothing short of stellar! Force Of Nature has also grown on me. I think the whole song block of Just Breathe to The End is 5 star worthy!

There are few songs out there with a more natural and superb finish like there is on The End. :heart:

You had me at "Stellar." :heart:

I'm going out now in the pouring rain to give the entire thing another listen.

This arrived on my Facebook feed earlier. Great pic!

8726_141356577484_7659317484_2583615_2539201_n.jpg

Of course the numbers are going to be lower, even with a bigger hit single, we've seen how legal album sales are in the toilet, to get that close to 'Pearl Jam''s debut, especially with only one retailer, is quite an accomplishment.

MEH.

I waited to buy this before listening, and had my expectations somewhat tempered beforehand--I wasn't expecting the world. I want to support this band so much, and they still have a major live prowess, but I find every album this decade so unchallenging, and more a collection of songs than anything else; there's no journey. While this album has a few standout tracks, it isn't anywhere NEAR the ballpark of Vs., Vitalogy, and No Code, or probably even Yield.

And are you guys reading these lyrics? It amazes me that Boner gets so much shit, because even though he makes you cringe at times, at least he's trying to write about something abstract or interesting these days. Even some of the better-sounding songs on Backspacer (Just Breathe, Amongst the Waves) have extremely generic lyrics. Then, you have a song named Supersonic (i.e. faster than the speed of sound) followed by The Speed of Sound? Are you kidding? I'm also concerned that Eddie wrote 5 of these 11 songs by himself, and of course this album comes off less musically inventive than the last one, string section notwithstanding.

It's a likable album, and I can't point to a bad song, but not a whole lot of substance there. I was hoping the return of Brendan O'Brien would also mean a return to the glory days of making a real IMPORTANT album, but I guess that ship may have sailed.

:shrug:

Vancouver 9/25/09

Set List: In My Tree, Save You, The Fixer, Severed Hand, Johnny Guitar, Given To Fly, MFC, Even Flow, Amongst The Waves, Sad, Unthought Known, Light Years, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Grievance, No Way, Got Some, Rearviewmirror

1st encore: I Got Shit, Love, Reign O'er Me, Breath, State Of Love And Trust, Alive

2nd encore: Last Kiss, Indifference w/ Ben Harper, Wasted Reprise, Better Man/(Save It For Later), Yellow Ledbetter

Thanks to the Pit. That first encore with the Singles medley is the shit. Also, In My Tree opening. :drool:
Too bad the second encore is a bit anticlimactic.

Set List: Of The Girl, Breakerfall, Hail Hail, Severed Hand, The Fixer, Low Light, Marker In The Sand, Even Flow, Unthought Known, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Got Some, Given To Fly, Immortality, Satan's Bed, Amongst The Waves, Do The Evolution, Blood

1st encore: Bee Girl (Fan brought on stage for wedding proposal), Just Breathe, Red Mosquito w/Ben Harper, Daughter, Supersonic, Spin The Black Circle

2nd encore: I Believe In Miracles, Crazy Mary, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter

U2popmofo's show. Detailed review, please? Favorite moments?

Back
Top Bottom